“The Grand Nile”

Ranked #48 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“The Grand Nile”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have often used the Grand Nile when on business trips to Cairo. This hotel is an edifice in brass and marble and quite impressive although rather under-utilized.
The location is outstanding as it is by the Nile. Breakfast is a treat that shouldnt be missed, apart from the fact that it is probably the best meal of the day. Front desk staff are very professional and efficient and do try to please. House keeping staff are helpful too. I have had access to the executive floor restaurent which serves a limited but reasonably good fare.
The hotel boasts a few other in-house restaurants such as an Indian and a Japanese one. I have almost never seen anyone dining at the Japanese restaurant. The Indian restaurant was not inspiring. After a couple of tries of meat kebabs I refrained from ordering this anymore as the meat didnt seem well cooked and on both occasions I came off with a serious stomach bug. Food, apart from breakfast, is nothing to rave about and is something definitely worth improving on given the beautiful ambience that the restaurant floor has.
The hotel has its own cruise boat with an on-board stage show and buffet dinner which on the night I went aboard was crowded and hugely noisy. Those wanting to enjoy a more tranquil environ can scamper to the upper open deck and enjoy the serenity of a Nile night..
The Grand Nile has a pretty decent shopping arcade for those not wanting to venture out. I purchased some lovely reasonably priced shirts although I never purchased these outside so I wouldnt know how they compared in price.
The hotel has a tour desk which provides several tour options which can however be a bit steeply priced, which comes with the terrain of living in a 5 star hotel. With security being rather important over the past 2-3 years, the hotel is comfortingly esconced away from the main roads with quite stringent security. It has a lovely lobby bathed in marble and brass with a fully glass sheeted front to soak in the wonderful ambience of the Nile river. If you have a Nile facing room, the view can indeed be tranquil and picturesque.
Overall: A good but rather under-utilized hotel if you just want a quiet and secure place to relax in after a busy work day. Restaurants are quite uninspiring apart from the excellent breakfast fare. Staff: generally pleasant and helpful. Positives: location on the Nile, an excellent buffet breakfast,reasonably good shopping arcade, security and a Nile cruise right at the hotel waterfront.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile facing room for a lovely view which may however be priced differently.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My wife decided that she wants her wedding with a nile view... and with the respected name of the hotel gained by the grand hyatt management... we thought it would be a perfect place...
But we were mistaken!

From once you enter, you are met by unpolite staff starting from the top management to the least security guard..
I found Hotel staff sitting and playing songs loud on their phones, I found the main lobby bathroom drowned in water from the damp.

And this was the start.. when they knew it was my wedding.. everybody was trying to get as much money out of you as they can.. starting from the sales manager on the day of the wedding that literally asked for a tip for his services in helping us book a good wedding!

Our offer had a royal breakfast on the next day.. which was ONE plate of beans, One plate of eggs for both of uss, with other crappy muffins and old bread.
When we called the manager, he said that this is the breakfast they have.

During the wedding I asked to go to the toilets, and the man led me and he opened the door and entered to leave it slam into my face! He didnt try to hold the door even I was right at his back. You can believe this is the service the groom gets in his wedding.

The organiser, was offered tips (Which was huge), and said impolitely: This is for all of us working here!!??

On the morning of the wedding day, I had 2 friends that wanted to go to the pool with me, and the manager insisted they pay 200 pounds... it was only half an hour before the wedding and when I explained they only wants to join for 30 mins... rudely he said 30 mins is like one day.. we dont care!

Ofcourse, I forgot to mention that the room was very dirty, expected from the way the staff behaves anyway.

My advise is never go to this hotel... the hotel building is fabulous... but the management and staff are destroying it.
I will never be back... and I hope it returns back to Hyatt or any other proper management soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank ahmedgaby
Campinas, SP
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Despite an excellent location and a terrific view of the Nile and most parts of Cairo (including the pyramids very far away), the hotel is keeping with a stupid policy of charging absurdly for internet use. You may use it if you are in Club Level at the Business Center but not in your room. This makes the hotel a no-go for business travelers. Breakfast is rather plain for the grand name. Overall room comfort is very good and rooms and bathrooms kept elegantly decorated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I totally agree with the previous review of Mahmoud_Fawzi it WAS a good hotel, and I can add the following:

- This type of hotels in Egypt look down on the Egyptian guests as if they are not paying for their stay, they keep certain types of rooms for Egyptians and the good rooms are always kept for the foreign guest? why? because they can not simply nickel and dime the Egyptian guest for all services in the hotel, they know they will not make any extra money from Egyptians unless they add true value, and they can do so with foreign tourists!

- The management staff kept starring at us back and forth while setting on their fancy desk in the lobby without trying to ask us about the level of service or making any guest-relation activities.

- The reception insisted on billing us the full stay in advance plus 70% as insurance.

- They fill your room minibar with unhealthy Pepsi drinks, couple bottles of water, one tea bag and one instant coffee hoping that you lose your mind for once and use any of these to enable them to excessively charge you for very cheap unhealthy drinks!

- Internet is very Expensive and due to the height you can not rely on the mobile phone internet connection.

- Air condition was working but you couldn't tune its temperature.

- Jacuzzi was broken and couldn't heat more than 37C.

- Breakfast is pain when you try to serve your children, you will have to go back and forth to fill the dishes with no help from the staff and not salvers to save you a round, no tissues on the tables unless you ask.

- Waiter of the lobby saloon was gloomy and rude trying to collect the drinks before we finish them. the same thing happened with the breakfast waiter who wanted to collect the spoons early on one day, and disappeared the second day after asking for another coffee.

- If you try to walk out of the lobby, Taxi drivers will harass you to hire them and then excessively charge you, probably to pay back to the hotel who let them park in its private entrance and use its guests!

I do not blame the low staff for all that, I blame the higher management who released most of the staff and cut the others' salaries to the half then went on the TV screaming and complaining from the losses of the tourism industry asking the Government to delay their due taxes and loan installments, and pail them off from the tax payers' money. I also blame the officials in the Tourism ministry who get paid from the tax payers' money to review and rate the level of service of such hotels.

You both are disgrace to the industry and to your country!

Room Tip: stay away of this hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank AhmadMohee
Salmiya, Al Kuwayt, Kuwait
Reviewed 19 May 2014

i stayed there for 2 nights in first week of May . I thought that it would be the dream come true , but it was the total opposite. The check in was horrible , The guy just kept on talking over the phone for at least 1-2 minutes before giving me the attention.
Just by noticing that i am Egyptian , the famous , informal , unprofessional word ( PASHA ) started to take part of the conversation .This frustrated me more and more. I requested an upgrade or free internet but , i can not was the answer ( lots of hotels in Dubai and Europe do it without asking them to ) .
When I entered the room the 2 different colors in the carpet was amazing , but eventually I discovered this was out of being a dirty carpet . I could notice rust in the bathroom and the shampoo , shower gel were very badly packed. I asked for an iron , which after 15 minutes came with a very old and dirty ironing table. The electric plug was almost i my hand ( out of the wall ) when I tried to unplug the iron after finishing.
Woke up next morning and requested a dental kit , which after 15-20 minutes responded to me by house keeping saying that they are out of stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The internet service is very expensive ( equal or more than what you get in Dubai or London , if you had to pay )
The car rental was a big mess as usual . You can negotiate the price to 50% of it or less. Trying to suck your money , in a very unprofessional way was the main attitude . I requested a Grand Cherokee , but a land cruiser came !!!!!

All in all , i believe that i was 100% frank and honest with the check out agent when i said that i will never come back to this hotel.

in 2005 , I visited the revolving restaurant in this hotel , it was amazing and thought that I was in Europe.
Now , All these are memories.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Mahmoud_Fawzi
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel is not as grand as is made out. With very low occupancy here more could be done for the guests that they do have. With the numbers staying there is only one restaurant open with a very limited menu especially when staying for 12 nights. The location in Central Cairo means if you are after a relax after a hard days work, this is not an ideal hotel. The client I was working for had booked me in here. I will never stop here again after this experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This was the second time I stayed at the Grand Nile and it just confirmed my impression of luxurious!
This time I had an extra surprise when I woke up to find out my room had a view to the pyramids from my bed!!
Tourism in Cairo now is very low, so the number of operating restaurants in the hotel is reduced (which is fine by me as long as the Nubian Village remains open).
Fitness room and saunaa are magnificent! Problem is when the sauna is turned on, the jacuzzi is empty.but that's OK, I think I was the only woman using the facilities anyway.
They have a strange habit of tucking guests in before 20:00: they knock, come in, close the curtains, open the beds.... The ritual may take a moment, and it's important time it takes you if you're getting readyfor dinner and someone is waiting for you. A do not disturb sign by this time is adviseable.
Only two stores are open in the shopping mall and I haven't seen alcohol for sale there.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business