“A dream Come True!”
Review of Grand Nile Tower

Grand Nile Tower
Ranked #44 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 6 August 2007

As other readers’ reviews were invaluable to me when I was making my choice of where to stay in Cairo I felt that I just had to share my wonderful experience at the Grand Hyatt Cairo with future travellers. I was a little anxious beforehand because of mixed reviews I had read but I was more than pleasantly surprised both by the hotel itself and its staff.
We had booked the hotel’s meet and assist option and were really glad we had done so. I don’t know how we could have done it on our own. In less than five minutes we had our luggage collected, visas issued and money changed into Egyptian pounds to pay for it, followed by a pleasant drive in a comfortable air conditioned car to the hotel. Definitely money well spent.
Some reviews mention a problem with check-in for the club rooms. I can only say that this process must have been changed since our check –in was most efficient. The only minimal snag was that after showing our confirmation slip at the reception desk we were directed to the normal check in where we were told a few minutes later that we had to check in at the club desk on the 30th floor. This was no problem whatsoever as there are separate lifts to this floor which we could use without any need for assistance. Once there, we simply handed over our confirmation and passports and were escorted into the club lounge for complimentary refreshments and an amazing view of the Nile until our room was allocated some ten minutes later. It was a perfect start to a perfect holiday. Our luggage, after having been security scanned both by sniffer dogs and scanners, had been checked in at the hotel entrance when we arrived and promptly arrived at our room.
The room itself was not all that big for the price we were paying but it was spotlessly clean which for me was one of the most important factors in choosing this hotel. The furniture was in no way shabby as some reviewers have stated. The bathroom although small was tastefully decorated in black and white marble. Our room was made up and towels changed twice daily so I give it full marks for cleanliness. The balcony although smallish had the most incredible view both of the Nile and the beautiful swimming pool below so I guess we were very lucky. The members of staff everywhere in the hotel were extremely polite and helpful and never once gave us the impression that they were expecting tips – although I had read that we would be expected to tip for everything.
The club lounge was a peaceful haven after a day out in hectic Cairo, with several tables overlooking the Nile. Internet access here was “free” for club members and we never had any trouble with connections. Although at the prices we paid for our room it’s a little misleading to talk about “complimentary” refreshments it really was pleasant to sit and relax here while enjoying a cup of coffee and the wonderful view. I had read that the lounge is very smoky. However, there were “No smoking” restrictions enforced during the day and even during the “complimentary “buffet in the evenings smoke was never a problem. The buffet itself was excellent with fresh salmon, sushi, cheese board and many other delights.
I agree with most of the other reviews that the buffet breakfast in the Fontana Restaurant is excellent. There was a wide selection of both oriental and western food in abundance with countless waiters in attendance as well as chefs willing to cook up pancakes or scrambled eggs etc.
The pool was fantastic with attendants ready to escort you to the sunbed of your choice and patiently lay out towels for you. The poolside food was a little expensive but good quality with large portions .The surroundings were so beautiful that we didn’t mind paying a little extra for the luxury.
As for dining, we ate twice at the Indian restaurant where food and service were excellent. I wouldn’t consider it expensive as compared to a restaurant in this class of hotel in Europe but I guess by Egyptian standards it was. The local Egyptian Cabernet was fine and reasonably priced too. One thing to watch out for though is that there is 12% tax added to everything and then another12% service charge so the final bill is considerably higher than the menu prices give the impression of. We also tried the Italian restaurant where prices were similar but the food just average. On our final evening we decided to try the French menu at the revolving restaurant. The atmosphere was very romantic with subdued lighting and the view just out of this world. However, the waiters were nowhere as friendly as at the Indian restaurant .The food was tasty but portions were very small. It was an enjoyable although quite expensive meal but next morning both my husband and I were experiencing vomiting and the runs. This could just have been an unfortunate coincidence and luckily it didn’t spoil our stay as we were leaving that morning. As I say, it could have been a coincidence but had we been staying longer I wouldn’t have risked eating there again.
We went on a couple of the tours arranged by the hotel which were excellent. Our guide spoke perfect English and was so friendly that he soon felt like an old friend. His knowledge of the sights was excellent and when we mentioned that we wanted to go on a camel ride at the pyramids he arranged this for us as his present. It was such a nice gesture which we really appreciated and , of course, we gave him a big tip at the end of the day . He would have got his tip at the end of the day in any case but it was so much nicer this way! Prices for the tour depended on whether it was half day or full day and how many people there were in the party. It really was a treat to have our own personal guide just for the two of us and well worth the price as we travelled in an air conditioned brand new mini-van and immediately had access to the sights as soon as our guide produced a small tip! Also we had no problems with beggars or people hassling us to buy things as our guide quickly got rid of them. We could have arranged to see the sights on our own but I’m glad we made this choice.
Would I stay at the Grand Hyatt again? Definitely! It was a perfect base for a perfect holiday in Cairo. I hope you get the chance to enjoy it too.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple