“Not what I expected”

and up
Private Walking Tour to Khan el-Khalili and Madrassa of Sultan Hassan
Ranked #19 of 324 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of Islamic Cairo, this busy and colorful open-air bazaar is filled with unique and exotic items from spices and perfumes to jewelry and souvenirs.
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I was very much looking forward to the bartering experience, and the sites and sounds of a real Egyptian Souk. I was disappointed to find that every stall/store front was filled with the exact same touristy trinkets. I did enjoy the spice markets, and am still enjoying the delicious Hibisicus tea I bought.
Be ready to be mobbed at every turn, and we found that switching to a different language didn't help either ... no matter what we were speaking (English, Spanish, French, even Afrikaans), someone always knew what we were saying and could harass us in that tongue!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,562)
All reviews
in 52 reviews
"gifts"
in 72 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2013

many times I visited Cairo, I have to go to this place many times a week, great place for shopping and enjoy the ancient folkloric of egypt, shopping is cheaper but you have to bargain and you will get good prices , people are very much friendly, they know how to make you buy, most of them they know many languages even the uneducated ones, english,spanish,italian,,
its good to taste food there and the shisha

1  Thank Fadia M
Reviewed 24 June 2013

a place binding between culture and history of old Cairo on a side .. and shopping and lovely cairo night life on other side .. so please don't miss it !!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We sat in a cool caffe in Khan el Khalili and i had really good Tea Mint with my sister and her friends. You always have something to look at with thos sellers and shops that have nice silver accessories. We bought our souvenirs from a shop there and they had so many items to choose from and they are relatively cheap. We sensed the true Egyptian feel when we were sitting in the caffe that Oum Koulthoum and 3abd el Haleem used to sit in , in the old days.

1  Thank Xena1982
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Went here on a day tour with one amazing tour guide (check out my reviews). My tour guide knew how much everything should cost so lucky for us he did all of the talking and negotiating for us! This bazaar was really packed and full of just amazing things! Everything does have some sand on it but I loved it because it gave the items character. If you are buying clothing I would suggest to wash it prior to wearing it. We got some nice souvenirs right. There is a mosque right in the middle also. Not a MUST SEE but if you want to do some shopping - this would be the place! I do not suggest going here alone whatsoever. I would suggest you go with someone that is familiar or you will not feel safe nor will you get the right prices. Enjoy!