“Yummy”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
London, United Kingdom
“Yummy”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A Cairo landmark, this fancy kebab house has been serving locals for over 50 years. There are other branches in Heliopolis and Mohandiseen. Recently refurbished and purged of its Disney idols and other kitsch collectibles, this conservative Muslim restaurant is done up in marble and alabaster. Seating is a little tight and the staff can be slow, but customers are always guaranteed an authentic Egyptian experience. The main speciality here is kebabs, with prices calculated per kilo of meat and a host of salads and dips to choose from. Pigeon, chicken and specialty beef dishes are also on the menu. The Egyptian desserts served here are heavenly, with top honours going to the Om Ali (flakey dough with raisins and nuts soaked in sugar and milk).

Visited April 2013

• Arabic first
“Nice Summer Night Outing”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Inside Gezira Club, family atmosphere.
In a non-busy week day with Fairouz songs, very nice experience.
Order & food didn't take long time to come, about 20 min.
They might be not very experienced but they are OK.
As for taste, it's good with a reasonable price.
Good outdoor furniture.

• Visited May 2013
Cairo, Egypt
“Lousy”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I went with my children to this restaurant, thinking it would be great given that it has recently opened, and usually at first restaurants try to impress new comers to count on their word of mouth for future business. That's what I presumed, at least.
The service was slow, unorganized and food was not at all worth waiting for. I shall never go to any of their branches. As to my surprise they already have three branches opened at City Stars, Mall of Arabya and the Guezira Club in Zamalek.
Any fast food joint would be a better choice. I have never seen such small salad cups servings except for sauce home delivery orders.
Would not recommend to anyone to go there.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Nesrin_13
Cairo, Egypt
“Poison”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Last Saturday my wife and I wish a group of friends took the risk to try out this new Restaurant Chain that already has three branches at City Stars, Mall of Arabia and the Guzira Club in Zamalek. We tried the Guezira Club Branch which is layed out in an open air garden next to what is named the new building. The ordeal experience started out with us having to wait a long time for a table, which is usually a positive sign, showing that there is affluence and high demand for the place ... when we ended up sitting down and finally order (which also took a long time) ... the food took "forever" to arrive. Those acting as waiters as none of them had a uniform on that could tell them apart from others casually dressed as well (all differently) that were haphazardly doing the motion of serving, but all looked rather confused and unorganized, to mention the least. The food finally started coming over an hour and half after this "experience" began, not all at once either. The amazing factor was also that the Chain of Restaurants owner was personally present and admittedly put an effort to seat us as well as to try and absorb some of our astonishment as to the food timing and overall service experience. But the above are all minor fact compared to my final hammering conclusion: I started shivering less than an hour after I ate: which was "shish tawouk" or barbequed chicken pieces served with four minute plastic containers with a few specimen of tomato, tehina, pickles and green sauce. I managed to get myself home with difficulty and ended up having the worst food poisoning of my life!!!! The fever, a few hours later, had reached 39... The stomach became bloated and was burning as if there was a fire inside as well as surrounding it. Sorry to give you the horrible details, but what finally saved me was throwing it all up which left me with incredible burning in the esophagus tract like never experienced. The chicken marinating mixture was the worst ever. Admittedly I have had a couple food poisonings in my life, but have never experienced one like this one. As it took me three whole days to recuperate from the acute diarrhea as well as upset stomach. I could not eat for three days thereafter. It is the first time I seriously contemplated taking legal action against a Restaurant for the food poisoning experience, but when I investigated the time and implications necessary I could not bother with the additional time necessary to invest on taking the matter to court. Therefore, I at least opted to report it no Trip Advisor hoping that I could disseminate the information and prevent others from going through the horrible experience I unfortunately encountered at this establishment.

• Visited March 2013