“Real Japanese experience in the heart of Cairo”
Review of Makino

Makino
Ranked #172 of 4,353 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Makino is truly the best restaurant in Cairo and my favorite place to enjoy its fine cuisine. It offers authentic Japanese experience, and it is simply one of the top Japanese restaurants in Egypt, in the MIddle East. I have known Makino since February 2017, and since then I am a frequent diner at this unique spot in the heart of Cairo. It is better to make a reservation to secure a table upfront, as the place gets very busy due to its popularity. Few times, I have dined in company of my Japanese friends and guests, who praise its food by saying that it is "just like in Japan!". The staff is friendly, and often times Chef approaches visitors to inquire about quality of the fish, the food and sometime talks about special seasonal fish arriving to the restaurant for a special tasting experience. When you enter Makino you feel like as if you are not in Cairo anymore, but somewhere in Japan: cooks roll sushi in front of you, if you sit at the bar, and the party room offers a Japanese style sitting arrangement. My family and I love Makino and I full-heartedly recommend to anyone who visits Cairo and who is looking for a place to enjoy a great lunch / dinner.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

This is the real deal when it comes to Japanese cuisine... Fresh, authentic, a big variety of Japanese dishes including sashimi, noodles, tempura, curry, etc. They also have great value bento boxes for lunch and dinner.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

This was my third visit to Makino. Me and a friend were there early and they were showing the World Cup final game between France and Croatia. The management was kind enough to let us come in before start of dinner service to watch the game.

As excellent as the Football was, the meal was the highlight of the evening.

Without a doubt, Makino offers the best Japanese food in Cairo. Unfortunately Japanese food is synonymous with only sushi in Egypt and bad sushi can be had in establishments all over town. But Makino does sushi right AND offers the wide range of other dishes you can expect to find in an authentic full service Japanese restaurant.

Our appetisers of fried octopus, tamago (omelette) and steamed gyoza (dumplings) were all very tasty. The omelette in particular - fluffy enough to put the best French chef to shame.

We had 4 pieces of sushi (all very fresh - especially the tuna). The cold Zaru soba noodles were very refreshing for a balmy Summer evening. And the grilled unagi (eel) on rice cooked just right.

Everything was delicious with the only exception being the miso soup that came with the eel rice being a bit too salty. We finished off our meal with the macha (green tea) and black sesame ice-cream. Both are highly recommended.

An excellent meal, wonderful and attentive service and the price was not as high as I remember from past visits (when compared to other top food establishments in Cairo).

You will find many Japanese dining there all days. Pls do as they do and don’t order just sushi - as that bill will add up fast. But try the grilled seafood, the soups / noodles and other varieties available at Makino. You won’t be disappointed. Finally call to book a table as they are often full and they don’t use the traditional operating lunch or dinner hours for Cairo.

And congratulations to France on the World Cup win.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 1 July 2018

I really did not expect to find an authentic Japanese restaurant in Cairo. I have been to other places offering "Asian" food and was sorely disappointed. Makino is the exception to the rule of mediocre Asian fare in this city. Yes, it's expensive, but I would say it's worth it. Presentation, service, taste and creativity...it's all here. The head chef and hostess were both Japanese, which was a good indication. I really enjoyed the natto kaisen salad. Natto is fermented soybeans and definitely an acquired taste. To find it in Egypt, of all places, was a pleasant surprise. The grilled mackerel was subtle and came with rice that was cooked to perfection. I went twice. I wanted to go every day, but my budget didn't allow it. When I come back to Cairo, I will stay in the Hilton again just so that I don't have to walk anywhere to eat at Makino.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 29 March 2018

This restaurant is as close as you can get to authentic Japanese food, so they say, the Japanese living in Cairo. The restaurant is inside the Hilton, they have a big menu with an interesting variety of things to choose from, even pork dishes! which I haven't ventured yet! I ordered vegetable tempura which it wasn't what I expected because they brought me 4 pieces of like an assorted vegetable tempura "cake" which was tasty but with too many onions for my taste and they didn't bring me the tempura dipping sauce. Maybe this is the "authentic" way I don't know so I can't complain.
Then I had 8 pieces of california salmon roll which were nice and fresh. I didn't have time for dessert but I must say that their green tea and black sesame ice creams are to die for!

Date of visit: March 2018