Been there December 2010. This is supposed to be a 3 star hotel but in a European country, it wouldn't even have 1 star!
1) it was cheap
2) location was good
3) it has an open roof terrace where you can have a drink and smoke some nargileh
4) Stuff was friendly (for Egypt)
1) Breakfast was abysmal, very little variety, same dishes every day and quality down the drain.
2) Hotel is old and run down and offers no facilities except basic breakfast and even less than basic sleep (see below).
3) Next to our room there was some kind of storage room, and staff were going there 10 times every night until 2-3am.
4) even though location is good, next to some embassies, supermarkets around the corner and fast food shops, the neighborhood is very run down and dangerous even, one day, while we were walking around at 10am, there was a fight between some locals, around 50 people involved and the police came afterwards, this felt very unsafe.
5) just outside the door of the hotel, some locals are hanging about daily and try to scam you pretending they are friendly locals that wanna show you around etc, if you listen to them they will offer to take you to some shops of their friends and try to convince you to buy stuff (which they say it's cheaper than elsewhere) at VERY high prices (bought some perfume and found the same at Al Khaleel market 10 times cheaper). same people also offer to drive you around for a daily fee (which depending where u wanna go, could be much cheaper than taking taxis, we got one of them and drove us in different places in Cairo from 9am till 9pm, and only paid him around 20 Euro.., but the next day for half a day he wanted the same amount!!!).
I'm mentioning these facts because these people are every day just outside the hotel and the hotel knows this and doesn't do something to get rid of them it seems..
Anyway, spend some more money and stay in a better place, you'll be happier!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- King Hotel provides you with comfort, convenience and value for money combined with an ideal location, suitable for business and leisure travelers. The unique and cozy 3-star hotel not only offers you a central location in Cairo, it also provides you with friendly and professional service. Make use of our free shuttle service and reach the hotel quickly without any hassle, and begin your holiday here in a pleasant and relaxed manner. Enjoy a hearty breakfast with oriental and continental food or visit Delis for a quick, healthy snack. Take a seat in our roof top bar and lounge, where you can enjoy the splendid city view of Cairo while relaxing with chill-out music and sampling an assortment of local and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), HostelWorld, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your King Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.