“Lovely staff, great location”
Review of King Hotel

King Hotel
Ranked #75 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 27 December 2012

A really good spot to stay in just outside the very centre of town and away from hassley touts. A short walk to a bustling market and a locals area where genuine Cairenes live.

The roof terrace is lovely and has good views. It's a great place to relax and plenty of locals come here for a cold beer or fresh juice and shisha in the evenings. It's chilly at night in the winter months though.

The staff were lovely, really friendly and helpful, easygoing and welcoming.

Buffet breakfast was a good introduction to Egyptian cuisine although there were plenty of Western options too.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lily G

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Been there December 2010. This is supposed to be a 3 star hotel but in a European country, it wouldn't even have 1 star!

Good points:
1) it was cheap
2) location was good
3) it has an open roof terrace where you can have a drink and smoke some nargileh
4) Stuff was friendly (for Egypt)

Bad points:
1) Breakfast was abysmal, very little variety, same dishes every day and quality down the drain.
2) Hotel is old and run down and offers no facilities except basic breakfast and even less than basic sleep (see below).
3) Next to our room there was some kind of storage room, and staff were going there 10 times every night until 2-3am.
4) even though location is good, next to some embassies, supermarkets around the corner and fast food shops, the neighborhood is very run down and dangerous even, one day, while we were walking around at 10am, there was a fight between some locals, around 50 people involved and the police came afterwards, this felt very unsafe.
5) just outside the door of the hotel, some locals are hanging about daily and try to scam you pretending they are friendly locals that wanna show you around etc, if you listen to them they will offer to take you to some shops of their friends and try to convince you to buy stuff (which they say it's cheaper than elsewhere) at VERY high prices (bought some perfume and found the same at Al Khaleel market 10 times cheaper). same people also offer to drive you around for a daily fee (which depending where u wanna go, could be much cheaper than taking taxis, we got one of them and drove us in different places in Cairo from 9am till 9pm, and only paid him around 20 Euro.., but the next day for half a day he wanted the same amount!!!).

I'm mentioning these facts because these people are every day just outside the hotel and the hotel knows this and doesn't do something to get rid of them it seems..

Anyway, spend some more money and stay in a better place, you'll be happier!

Room Tip: Want a tip, choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Pan145
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of an Intreprid tour. It was kind of like our base - we were there on 3 different occasions over a period of about 3 weeks.

It was the first place we stayed upon arriving in Egypt and initially it was a bit of a shock. Cairo is one of the dirtiest, busiest, craziest places I have ever been. This hotel seems fairly old and you can really tell when in their hallways, lifts, etc. But once inside the rooms, it is fine. it is very basic but that is all you really need in my opinion.The rooftop is also quite nice/comfortable. And the staff were all very helpful and friendly.

There seem to be some rooms that are much better than others. On our last few days there we had a room on the top floor and it was much nicer than others - it had been refurbished, had nicer bathroom/toilets, new paint, new appliances. Other travellers we spoke to also said the same - that level 8 rooms were of a better standard.

I must say the breakfasts are very ordinary - I wouldn't bother. However their rooftop and foyer food is perfectly fine.

We used the laundry service acouple of times and it was great. Fast and cheap (came back within hours which is handy given we usually only ever had a max of 2 nights at one time there.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed here as part of a tour with Intrepid. The cost and location are excellent with a supermarket and ATM around the corner. Down the street that faces the hotel there are eateries and other shopping if you are interested.

If you have visited India and stayed in the 'basic needs' hotel you will have no surprises.

The room was clean and basic, though the hotel is well overdue for refurbishment. Though given the current state of affairs in Egypt you can understand by looking around that there is not much money around for such things. They need us tourists.

Though none of the following worried me much, the shower head didn't sit on the wall, tiles were cracked, there was no hot water in my room but others, the beds are hard, the air con struggled and the tv reception was almost non-existent but it was cleaned everyday. I was only needing a bed so none of the above bothered me. Maybe, I just got the 'worst' room'

The terrace upstairs is magnificent. Lovely to sit up there in the evening (opens at 5pm - though I suggest they would get more business if it was open during the day) though the tv was far too loud! Deafening, in fact! You can see one of the pyramids in the distance if you are fortunate and have sheesha with other guests. It was really a lovely terrace and made the hotel attractive.

Wifi is available in the foyer, which was a huge bonus.

As part of the tour, the hotel were kind enough to give us a day room on our return. The room was wonderful with two terrace balcony's, but I can't remember the room number. You'd need to ask.

The staff and the Egyptian people are extremely friendly and so helpful. The hotel staff were always happy to help and I give 5 stars to the door man (Azzabul?). He really couldn't do enough.

When I return I will stay here again and ask for the balcony room.

Thanks to all the wonderful staff for their warm hospitality.

Room Tip: Enjoy the terrace upstairs after 5pm.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank UrsulaJane
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Staff here are very helpful.the hotel is a bit run down it does though have a great view of Cairo city. Very good location.the roof top bar was a highlight very nice there. They also offer free WiFi with great connection. I wouldn't stay here again as I didn't like the rooms & beds we also had a shower that didn't work only the bathtub tap worked and I refuse to sit in the tub so I had to splash water on me.breakfast isn't all that but I guess that's what you get with cheap accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank bubble4u
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of my Habibi Tours 10-day trip package, and found my hotel room to be very decent and clean. The place had all the basic creature comforts I could ask for and it was what I would have expected of a 3-star hotel.

Room had clean sheets and floors, a ref, aircon, several electric outlets to charge my cam and laptop and phone. Although I was traveling solo, I was given a room with two twin beds, but I didn't mind at all. Bathroom is quite plain looking but had hot shower, clean towels, hand held bidet spray as well as soap and shampoo in a dispenser. No wifi inside the room, but you can go down and hang out in the hotel lobby where there's free and fast wifi. Saw several people Skype-ing while I was online, so bandwidth was pretty good.

The hotel has a decent buffet breakfast with the usual bread rolls, cheese, eggs, salad, mashed potatoes, local breakfast fare plus coffee, tea and juice. Staff are helpful, and can give you directions if you need to know where the nearest pharmacy or supermarket is. The hotel is actually located in a safe area in downtown Cairo, and is a 5-minute walk away from the main avenue, where you can find at the corner a mom-and-pop store/mini grocery, pharmacy, bakery plus some restaurants nearby, including a koshari take-out place. Very easy and convenient for me. It's pretty safe to walk in this area at night, and I never encountered any unsavory characters.

Overall, I was very happy to stay at the King Hotel and I think it's a pretty good budget deal being booked here. Wouldn't mind staying here again when I come back to Egypt.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the renovated rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank kickgalvanic
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed here for a couple weeks , room seem old and not very clean i think it is need for renew , anyway I feel satisfaction the staff was friendly and collaborators and wifi for free on hotel lobby , if i will come back to cairo i will stay here .

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple