“Old world charm, good value”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #100 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Victoria Hotel. The check-in procedure was pretty painless and I was very impressed with the lobby and the large lounge which did have doors so if you had a large group you could use it and not interfere with the regular hotel lobby. There was a small bar which had a great bartender who I hope to see again on my next trip. The restaurant had a limited menu and fairly basic breakfast, but what they had was good and we were all very happy with what we got. They did also provide an internet cafe which was ok though a few of the PCs were broken. The real complaint I had about the internet access was that some of the university aged guests who were flush with cash decided to reserve all of the computers all day long so they always had access. I would have hoped that the hotel would make sure that at least one other one was available for other guests, but I can understand that if the kids had money it was guaranteed income.

The rooms were spacious with very high ceilings and despite the high temperatures outside, they cooled down very nicely. The bathroom was also clean with well appointed. TV reception however wasn't that great, but I didn't go to Egypt to watch TV!

The location of the hotel is ok as you are very near Ramses Station if you want to catch a train. If you walk the other direction, it starts out a bit industrial, but after you walk by the Central Bank, you get into a nice shopping area that has a variety of restaurants as well.

All in all, this was very good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 December 2011

I really liked this place. Yes the plumbing isn't great, yes we didn't always have hot water, yes the food in the restaurant isn't exactly gourmet, and yes if you are sleeping on the side closest to the mosque you may have an unwanted early morning call to prayer, but this place has great charm. The bedrooms are nice and very comfortable. The lounge area is lovely. The staff are sweet and very helpful. The food in the restaurant is not great but we dawdled there for a long time for the atmosphere created by the absolutely magic music they played from marlene dietrich to frank sinatra. Like stepping back in time. Loved it loved it loved it.

Room Tip: For a quieter nights sleep, make sure your room does not open onto the mosque next door. The early...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank catheriner39
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Spent a few days there with my mother last year and found this place very nice and the staff very sweet. Do not expect luxury, but it is a very interesting decadent building which has kept a lot of its original features. Bathrooms could do with improvement. Rooms are massive, with huge ceilings. The location is great, you are in the old part of town and can walk to a lot of places and go out at night in the neighbourhood. It still is very good value and I would recommend this place if you are not the big hotel type, want to be in a place that feels "real" and don't want to spend a fortune.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2011

hummm... as a westerner I was not familiar with the customs in Egypt... Holy cow are the staff PROTECTIVE! expecially if you are a female traveling alone... I couldnt even leave without staff knowing of my whearabouts... well I mean I could but they were very unsure of my free style. Any how.. NICE room... it looked like, a remodled 1920's style building with the white painted celing... NICE... more what I would be used it if roamin' around the US. Great atmoshpere! WOMEN fear not you are completely protected... it was actually almost annoying but I was SO humbled by their concern... great place cant wait to visit again

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank shan G
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I travel overseas quite often but on a somewhat limited budget and I found this hotel QUITE pleasant and fantastically located on a QUIET tree-lined street just a few minutes walk from metro station and all businesses/restaurants. Service/Staff was simply terrific; free breakfast was bountiful and delicious; both cocktail lounge and public areas were cozy and convenient. My room and bath were extremely comfortable. I would recommend the Victoria unreservedly and have every intention of returning on next trip to Cairo.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I wasn't expecting much, so maybe that is why I rate it better than others. The hotel itself has old world charm, I could picture Indiana Jones walking the hallways before setting off for an adventure. We didn't pick the hotel directly, it was part of our tour package. We spent two nights before the tour and two after the tour at the Victoria. Our room was a good size and at least in the part of the building we were in very quiet, no street noise or mosques could be heard. My biggest concern, period, was the a/c. Ours worked very well and made the room completely comfortable while sleeping. If you are staying for quite some time, they have a huge built in wall cabinet for storage. The bathroom is a bit small, but functioned well enough. Only awkward moment/complaint is the shower. The bottom of the tub is a small square, then it has a step/sitting area before leveling out with the tile on the back of the tub/shower. It wouldn't be so hard to maneuver if it had been lower to the ground. Stepping into the tub always made me nervous that I would slip and hit hard. Don't know if the hotel has handicapped accessible rooms or not, but the tub situation was the only bad part of our stay.

The staff at the hotel were super helpful. They have a couple computers that you can buy time to check your email or whatever. The laundry service is quick and reasonably priced, we had all our laundry washed before the next leg of our trip. There is a restaurant on site, pretty good food if you don't feel like going out on the street. Breakfast is included in your room rate and there should be a little something for everyone. There is a nice sitting area beside the lobby for relaxing and chatting with fellow travelers. Also, an elevator to help you get your bags to your room. You can exchange money for Egyptian Pounds at the front desk, too.

We wanted to take a day trip to Alexandria and missed getting tickets for the train. The hotel staff quickly got us a trusted taxi driver to take us for the day and back again. Driver was fantastic and so nice. Our plans would not have worked out had we tried to pick a driver from the street, we would have just stayed in Cairo.

The Victoria is not the nicest hotel in Cairo, but it is clean, comfortable, and filled with friendly staff. I don't think you can ask for much better than that. You can go out into the streets and get a taste of real Cairo and find some great places to eat. Ask the front desk staff for suggestions!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nickers82
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Victoria is a little rough around the edges. The beds are comfortable (maybe the most comfortable of our whole trip) and the staff is friendly. We visited about 6 months after the revolution, and they were very grateful for all tips due to the dramatic decrease in tourism. Importantly, the air conditioning also works well, and it's nice that the rooms are sizeable. However, all the furniture, linens and bath fixtures are quite worn. The most challenging aspect of our three-night stay was the size of the area to stand in the shower. The shower itself seemed to be a typical size bathtub with a shower head, but stepping in, you realize that the bathtub is filled in at different levels and the area for your feet is about 2 feet square, making it very difficult to move at all.

We stayed at Victoria as part of a package, so I can't comment on the value, but it appears in our guidebook as a mid-priced option. It is about a 10-minute cab ride to Tahrir Square due to the Cairo traffic. Though it is not the newest option, it may be suitable for those looking for comfortable, relatively inexpensive accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family