Victoria Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewscentral bankislamic art museumtv receptiondowntown cairoegyptnescaferamsesroomylaptop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights on a group tour of Egypt. Although there were a couple things that we had to get used to (call to prayer in the early mornings, windows open wide without screens, can't drink the water) the hotel was charming! The restaurant in the hotel was good with decent prices. Make sure to buy a couple extra bottles of the water since you will need it throughout the day and night to brush your teeth, take medicine, etc. The rooms were clean and had air conditioning. The staff at the front desk were friendly and able to suggest a couple places for us to go to eat. They had a small internet cafe where my husband and I could log on and talk with our family back in the States. There was a small outside terrace where we enjoyed drinks although with the traffic it sometimes became a bit loud. There were several bazaars within walking distance of our hotel and a small cafe that served falafels for only 20 cents! I can't remember the name, but it was about a 4 or 5 block walk from the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Cairo area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the other side away from the Mosque in order to avoid 5am Calls to Prayers.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Halle B
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed here the night before departing back to Italy. I think it's an acceptable hotel for 1 night only, it's near the city centre, you can walk and there are many shops, bars, we found a very nice souq and that was the real Cairo, people leaving their lives on a daily basis. The room was big, clean but no hot water, well not even warm, just cold water, we did not have a shower and we are not particularly scared of the cold but trust me the water was freezing.
The breakfast was average quality. I loved the elevator without the door, you could see the walls in front of you and then the open corridor of the floors, really funny.
As I said, I woud not stay here longer than a night but it's cheap compared to many other hotels in Cairo so I would say acceptable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SazziBO
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Victoria Hotel. The check-in procedure was pretty painless and I was very impressed with the lobby and the large lounge which did have doors so if you had a large group you could use it and not interfere with the regular hotel lobby. There was a small bar which had a great bartender who I hope to see again on my next trip. The restaurant had a limited menu and fairly basic breakfast, but what they had was good and we were all very happy with what we got. They did also provide an internet cafe which was ok though a few of the PCs were broken. The real complaint I had about the internet access was that some of the university aged guests who were flush with cash decided to reserve all of the computers all day long so they always had access. I would have hoped that the hotel would make sure that at least one other one was available for other guests, but I can understand that if the kids had money it was guaranteed income.

The rooms were spacious with very high ceilings and despite the high temperatures outside, they cooled down very nicely. The bathroom was also clean with well appointed. TV reception however wasn't that great, but I didn't go to Egypt to watch TV!

The location of the hotel is ok as you are very near Ramses Station if you want to catch a train. If you walk the other direction, it starts out a bit industrial, but after you walk by the Central Bank, you get into a nice shopping area that has a variety of restaurants as well.

All in all, this was very good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I really liked this place. Yes the plumbing isn't great, yes we didn't always have hot water, yes the food in the restaurant isn't exactly gourmet, and yes if you are sleeping on the side closest to the mosque you may have an unwanted early morning call to prayer, but this place has great charm. The bedrooms are nice and very comfortable. The lounge area is lovely. The staff are sweet and very helpful. The food in the restaurant is not great but we dawdled there for a long time for the atmosphere created by the absolutely magic music they played from marlene dietrich to frank sinatra. Like stepping back in time. Loved it loved it loved it.

Room Tip: For a quieter nights sleep, make sure your room does not open onto the mosque next door. The early morning call to prayer is quite loud. Alternatively, bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank catheriner39
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Spent a few days there with my mother last year and found this place very nice and the staff very sweet. Do not expect luxury, but it is a very interesting decadent building which has kept a lot of its original features. Bathrooms could do with improvement. Rooms are massive, with huge ceilings. The location is great, you are in the old part of town and can walk to a lot of places and go out at night in the neighbourhood. It still is very good value and I would recommend this place if you are not the big hotel type, want to be in a place that feels "real" and don't want to spend a fortune.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family