“Creepy Old Hotel in Old Cairo”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #88 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I stayed here with my husband as part of a tour with 18-35 year olds and booked a night the day prior to the tour starting. We did not see any other travellers, guests, tourist in the hotel nor in the surrounding area of the hotel. The hotel is situated in an industrial type area where it is very busy at night for the locals to be out and about, but be warned ladies, You Need to be covered Head to Toe if you want to walk around in this area and dont walk around by yourself. I wore a long strapless maxi dress with a shawl to cover my shoulders and the atmosphere was extremely uncomfortable that we had to return to the hotel for me to get changed into a high neck, long sleeve sweater. Everyone will blatantly stare at you, men will call out and leer at you and its just not nice. The locals around the hotel area do not accept tourist kindly. Once with the tour it was a bit better. The staff at the hotel try to be helpful but most have very poor English and asking for directions or advice is useless. The rooms are very old and dim but relatively spacious. The showers have intermittent hot water that comes and goes. As for breakfast, don't bother. We were up early both days at 7am and the cheese slices put out for breakfast where already sweating and curling at the sides. There is zero ambiance as we were the only ones there, eating stale crissonts in eerie silence as the polite but tired waiter loitered around trying to keep busy. If you are on a budget and need a bed, this is for you, anyone else, stay elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hollie S

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I was here before and after my Contiki tour in July and August of 2011. The room was very large. The ac worked nicely. The elevators kept having problems and at my end of the hallway all the lights were out. The staff were all very friendly. We had no troubles with the internet when we were there. The room was very clean as was the hotel. Yes, it was a bit noisy, but ear plugs really helped.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank JackieNYC28
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stoppeda at the vic hotel before and after my contiki tour. The foyer and most of the people were nice, but the experience was made poor by the severe lack of water pressure in the bathrooms and the evil computers which were constantly crashing (browser hadn't been updated in 4 years.) One of the hotel staff refused to give us the computer time for free as it did nothing but crashed and was really rude when my friend gave her advice about getting it fixed. Also, they have no wireless which makes things really difficult. It had a nice garden out the back and the air con was good. My advice would be to put the money into the room facilities rather than the foyer. basics make a massive difference.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Linda L
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My stay in the Victoria was due to the Egyptian tour I was on starting and finishing in this hotel. The location of this hotel is good, the main shopping area is 1-2 blocks away and this Shawerma place nearby is absolutely amazing for dinner / lunch.

The hotel itself is old, the rooms are spacious, but there isn't much too them. On my visit we did have a problem with hot water, or lack there of, and the bed wasn't the most comfortable I have ever used. All in all the hotel is average, but there is something to the old school Victorian charm of the Victoria Hotel. I really enjoyed the 60s vibe of the bar area and the bartender, not to mention Egyptian beer is really good.

For people transitioning through Cairo for a tour, or staying for a short time this hotel is definitely worth staying in for a day or 2. It isn't the nicest available and if you are using this as part of a tour and need to extend accommodation, it is worth looking at the more ubiquitous hotel chains however you should spend at least a night in this hotel and more if it is only being used as a bed.

Reading other reviews they may point out you can hear the call to prayer throughout the night and early morning and there is constant honking, but as my title, you're in Cairo. Staying in the Victoria is part of an Egyptian experience, don't make it a long experience as it won't be the highlight (pyramids, abu simbel, valley of kings etc.) but it is a bit of fun and something different compared to a know what you are getting big chain.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Damian G
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at the Victoria for a week and then returned for another night just before leaving Egypt. We selected the Victoria, in part, because we wanted a hotel near downtown but not to close to Tahrir Square as our stay coincided with the one-year anniversary of the start of the revolution. The immediate vicinity of the hotel is not too exciting unless you are in the market for an air compressor or steel-tipped boots; and there are not any restaurants nearby, But it is a short walk to two metro stations and a 5-10 Egyptian pound cap ride to most places in the center of Cairo.
We were impressed by how hard everyone works to keep the hotel in excellent condition. The staff is exceptionally friendly. When we returned for our second stay, we were greeted like old friends.
We enjoyed the breakfast. It consists of fresh bread, cheese and jam. They will cook eggs in the style you request. Yogurt and baklava on on the menu most days. The restaurant serves lunch and dinner. The menu is not large or very exciting, but the food is tasty and the dining room has been freshly repainted.
The rooms are large, a bit spartan, but very clean. Ask for a room on the side rather than on the main street which can be noisy, especially when the mosques get started early in the morning. Be careful taking a shower; the tub is shaped in a very strange way that makes it quite easy to take a tumble.
They have a good internet connect for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sptravelers5
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at the Victoria Hotel as part of a tour. I had recently read other travellers' reviews about it (not having hot water, extremely loud prayers at 5:00 a.m, among other things) so we were prepared. The "early wake up call" wasn't at all that bad, we found it rather enchanting.
Breakfast was not good.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for rooms at the back of the hotel, or else you're in for a very LOUD 5 a.m call...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carmen19902807
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I love this hotel, and will return. It's central, near a big train station, and major routes around the city and to the airport. The staff, all male I've just realised, are very warm and welcoming. The trip to the airport is about 15-20min and fairly cheap at 65EGP. There is a fairly cheap internet cafe in the hotel forecourt in which you can plug in your own laptop.
The downsides: The rooms have no wi-fi. Restaurant food could do with an Egyptian flavour, like shokeree (sp) for example, or delicious, calorie-busting Nubian/Aswan flavours. The room was freezing cold and the airconditioning wasn't even on. (Didn't have time to complain - had pyramids to see!) and there was no hot water the day on the day I arrived. tv remote didn't work, nor did telephone.
it's just slightly neglected by the management, otherwise it's a lovely place to stay. price not bad!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo