“Alas a restricted treassure-get permission and go”
Review of Abu Sir Pyramids

and up
Private Half-Day Tour: Giza Pyramids and Sphinx by Camel or Horse
Ranked #91 of 320 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: This complex consists of four (of the original fifteen) pyramids from the 5th Dynasty: the pyramids of Neferefre, Neferirkare, Niuserre and Sahure.
Luxor, Egypt
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Alas a restricted treassure-get permission and go”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Alas the site is a 'restricted' area and you must secure special permission to explore the ruins there but it is well worth it, if you can swing the approval as we did.

Visited March 2014

• Arabic first
Valencia, Spain
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“A true adventure”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I found the perfect way to get to the elusive Abu Sir pyramids. I simply walked there from my hotel Saqqara Country Club (see my review). If you look up this hotel in google map, in satellite view you can see the Abu Sir pyramids only 2km to the south-east. There are also some temple ruins dotted along the way. You can't get lost getting there and back. Just walk along the border that separates the desert and the fertile green strip, walking on the scenic desert side of course.

My Saqqara pyramids guide from the previous day advised that if we were to encounter anyone objecting to our being in this area, offering some baksheesh would appease the situation. Don't let them see your camera though, as there have been some local pillagers at other sites that don't want any photographic evidence of their activities. We only encountered two people, and they seemed more afraid of us than we of them, perhaps thinking we were archaeologists protecting the site. We politely greeted each other and continued on our separate ways.

Venturing out by ourselves to these lost ruins in the beautiful vast wilderness of the desert, and coming back just as the sun was going down over the orange-hued dunes was a magical experience I'll never forget.

Visited July 2013
Cairo, Egypt
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“the least of the pyramids?”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I went to these pyramids having already visited Giza, Saqqara, Dashur and Meidum and so my expectations were not high. What more could these lesser pyramids offer? However, they were a great place to visit in their own right. It gave me the chance to climb to the top of my first Egyptian pyramid, and what a view when you get there- and it is not really much of a climb. To the North were the Giza pyramids and then turning around, you could see those of Saqqara and Dashur to the South. Incredible.
Even the entry to the site has something to offer, with a really well define causeway of stone leading up from where the Nile used to reach during the flood season. There was a mortuary temple complex where you could slide down the burial shaft to reach the sarcophagi, now expose to the sky; and there was very ruined temple complex where you can see the base of an enormous obelisk, which sadly is no longer there. And there were wonderful basalt flagstones to admire.
Perhaps not for the casual ruins visitor, but for hardcore fans like me it was fantastic and well worth the visit. Many guidebooks may say it is likely to be shut and the police might say the same, but we went anyway, and it took a little bit of baksheesh and we were in!
If you like ruins and want to fill out your repertoire of pyramids go visit them. The turn off is right near the entry to Saqqara and there is a clear sign to guide you. Have fun.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank jamiehay51260
cairo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“love egypt”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Abusir is a 5th dynasty necropolis. 7 pyramids can be founds here. Not all 5th dynasty pyramids are at Abusir there are 2 at Sakkara (Unas and Userkaf) and 1 at south Sakkara (Djedkare-Isesi). Abusir is about half way between Giza and Sakkara. The quality of construction is much inferior to the 4th dynasty masterpieces. Perhaps signaling a decrease in royal power or maybe a less vibrant economy. The pyramids are smaller and built of low quality local limestone. The visitor only sees 3 pyramids from a distance, that of Sahure (at the entrance to the site), the pyramid of Niuserre and the most intact the pyramid of Neferirkare. Borchardt found the famous Abusir papyruses in the Funerary temple of Neferirkare. These revealed an enormous amount of information of the 5th dynasty life and economy. There is even information indicating that astronomer-priest observed the stars every night from the temple rooftop. There is only one mastaba of significance here. That of Ptahshepses, a high level official during the reign of king Sahure.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank egypt2nighttours
Indianapolis, Indiana
275 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 288 helpful votes
“Not Officially Open”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I visited in March 2012. My guide said that he knew the guards and that I would be able to visit Abu Sir and Abu Ghorab for a small "fee" and tip for the "guides." I was more than happy to pay a bribe to visit a closed site!! My guide did not come with me, as I think he did not want to get in trouble if we were caught. So he actually drove away from the site. He was called when it was time to pick me up.

The pyramids of Abu Sir are located south of Giza and north of Saqqara. On a clear day you can easily see the pyramids in Giza and the Step Pyramid of Djoser from this site. Unfortunately for me, it was a bit hazy so my pics of those pyramids from Abu Sir didn't turn out too well.

I visited the pyramid of Sahure, and saw three other pyramids at Abu Sir. The only one I was able to get close too was the pyramid of Sahure. I was told there wasn't much to see at the other pyramids and the best view of them was in the desert on the walk to Abu Ghorab. I was able to get a pic next to the broken sarcophagus of Sahure and his wife.

I then walked for about 30 minutes to Abu Ghorab to visit the ruins of the sun temple. I stood on the sun dial for a photo op and saw the nine alabaster basins used for the blood of sacrifices. What a fun time to see a site that was closed to the public!!

Visited June 2012