“Interesting tour...”

and up
Private Islamic Cairo and Tannoura Sufi Dance Show In Wekalet el Ghouri
Ranked #12 of 310 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Owner description: After the Muslims conquered Egypt in 641 AD, they built their city, Al-Fustat, on what is now the southern border of modern Cairo. Today, this section of the city contains many important sites including the Mosque of Sultan Hassan, Mosque of al-Azhar and the Khan al-Khalili market, which is considered the heart of this area.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Interesting tour...”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had the chance to do this tour with a private guide; I recommend it. It will take you back in time and show you how the islam influence was in all stages of egyptians life. Also the buildings and mosque are beautiful.

Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
413 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 476 helpful votes
“Like going back through time”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Visited last May with a private guide - we walked all over Cairo and I can honestly say it was an experience. We had no problems as there were two of us and she was a local. In places it looks as if it hasn't changed in centuries - I felt I had gone back in time. Life hasn't changed much for some - I found myself in awe and admiration in some areas and literally in tears in some when I saw the meagre lives of some - the children with next to nothing but smiling and calling out to me. The poor horses and donkeys in the blistering heat literally worked to death. You see real life not a contrived tourist attraction so be prepared. The energy was indescribable as one minute it was hot dusty and slow the next vibrant sellers with colourful arrays of food and fruit were enticing you in. I personally didn't risk the food but did stop for a coffee which was the strongest I had ever tasted but very traditional - I don't know if the locals were more amazed I drank it or that we were two women wandering around the back streets. I would recommend you see it - it has a feel of Aladdin/ Arabian nights in places - complete with the fringed rugs.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank regulartraveller01
McLean, VA
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Renovated ancient mosques”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Islamic Cairo and old Coptic Cairo balance each other. Islamic Cairo is larger and more impressive. I love to wander the streets that hold the mosques of the past. And they are still in use!

Visited July 2014
shanghai
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“1001 Nights”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Walking around Islamic Cairo at night is like going back in time walking around the set of 1001 nights. It's magical. So go at night, its perfectly safe and wonderful

Visited May 2014
Kathmandu
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A feel for old Cairo”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I spent half a day roaming the streets and alleys of Islamic Cairo, discovering the old culture and life. I started at the Khan-el-Khalili marketplace, which was surprisingly empty probably due to the midday heat and the general lack of tourists in Egypt. The market appeared to be geared towards tourists. I was later told there is a continuation of the market where locals go but it is very crowded. I would have gone if I had known earlier. I walked past these shops geared towards tourists, even though the shopkeepers kept calling out; I had learned to ignore and not show any interest. On the road with the mosques and madrasas, I saw some antique shops selling typewriters and early radios. There were also lots of hookah shops. There is a lot to see and experience in these old alleys, which gives a feel of the culture and life of this old city. Definitely not to be missed.

Visited May 2014