“Calm, clean and caring”
Review of Hotel Longchamps

Hotel Longchamps
Ranked #21 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My first time in Cairo, the Longchamps was an absolute delight of calmness in a city which is completely crazy. As a female, travelling by myself to Cairo, I was so grateful that the hotel had arranged a driver to pick me up. Arriving at the Longchamps at 10pm, after checking in I ordered myself a Stella (the Egyptian sort) and sat on the balcony feeling immediately at home.

Cairo is dirty, loud (beeping of car horns is a constant noise), smoggy (I lost my voice and am pretty sure it was because of this), and just a little bit intimidating for me to feel completely relaxed. So coming back to the Longchamps after a day out was like coming back to a cuddle from your mother. Hebba is an absolute delight; she runs a tight ship yet still manages to come across as a caring maternal presence with nothing being too much trouble.

I was in Cairo for business, and visited another hotel whilst I was there - the more upmarket Hotel Mena, directly next to the pyramids. Hotel Mena hotel is absolutely beautiful with five star service and gorgeous gardens and surrounds. However, I would still choose the Longchamps over a place like the Hotel Mena because of the area, the staff (especially the star of the show - Hebba) and the fact that you can feel totally relaxed. Yes, it's not 5 star rooms, but a very (very!) decent 3 star, with comfortable beds and a level of cleanliness which is very satisfactory.

If you can get a room here, then do it. Highly recommended. Thank you Hebba and her team for making me feel cared for and so welcome.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Longchamps

Reviewed 1 December 2012

When I travel I like to stay in a hotel exactly like the Longchamps.

Friendly people on the reception, a clean room and bathroom, a fridge and safe in the room and the room made up while you are out. Add in a great breakfast and a comfortable public area and you have everything you need at a very reasonable price. OK if you are going to sit all day in the hotel you may want a little more but then you may as well stay at home.

Come to think of it, if you want good service and a personal touch then perhaps you could hang around the Longchamps! The hotel certainly deserves its high trip advisor rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Itsmorning
Reviewed 22 November 2012

If you are tired of corporate style city hotel then this is for you. Cosy rooms lovely staff and they even didn't want us to settle our bill until our second stay on the way home from Sudan. Not a 5 star hotel but then it is not 5 star prices more like a high class friends home. Breakfasts very good and plentiful.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Hotel Longchamps was recommended to us by many friends who regularly travel to or live in Cairo. It is well known as a friendly establishment in a neighbourhood that is removed from the madness of central Cairo, but still conveniently only a 15-minute taxi ride from Tahrir Square. From our first encounter via email with the owner, Mrs Bakri, we knew we would receive the kind of personal attention that we would inevitably need on our first trip to Egypt. When we arrived we felt right at home, the hotel reminding us of European pension-style hotels of our youth. We loved our corner room with two sets of French doors and were very fond of our balcony where we sat out in the evening contemplating the extra-ordinary city around us. We also liked the fact that there were neighbourhood restaurants within easy walking distance. When I got the inevitable tummy bug the hotel staff were very helpful providing advice on remedies and producing light meals at odd hours. I couldn't recommend Hotel Longchamps more highly.

Room Tip: Corner room with two sets of French doors and a balcony are sunny.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alison R
Reviewed 10 November 2012

this is the first hotel we stayed at in Cairo before flying to Hurghada. We arrived so early before check-in time and the room was not yet available so we asked the manager to leave our things here while we're out. when we arrived from our tour at Giza, room is ready and our luggage is already there. The room is very cozy and clean. Breakfast was ok, free internet and the location is situated on the quiet side of cairo and near the Nile river. The quality of service they offer is 5 star for me. Hotel Longchamps will always be my first choice to stay in cairo :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Just back from Egypt and spent 4 nights - 2 in the most wonderful Room where we slept with a breeze coming across the balcony and an open window on the other side. What bliss after airconditioning - which by the way was available but not used. Great eclectic decor and comfort, comfort, comfort.
Very close to great restaurants and all the sights, but just removed enough from noise.
Nothing was too much trouble for Gaby and Hebba - transport, food, First Aid - every detail covered. Loved the terrace areas for a drink and relax - also excellent computer facilities.
Meals available if you're too worn out by the day's activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with older style decor. Corner spots give cross breezes.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki W
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed at the hotel in October 2012 - nice location in a 'quiet' area of Cairo. It's situated on the island of Zamalek - in the middle of the Nile :)

The hotel is on the fifth floor, the rooms are good and clean, the reception staff is very helpful and positive, and the breakfast was also fine.

It's a 40-minute walk from the Tahrir Square and the Egyptian Museum...if you don't like to walk, you could take a taxi (VERY cheap). The taxi ride will also take app. 40 minutes due to heavy traffic almost regardless of the hour of the day...

I would stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends