Hotel Longchamps
US$129
US$146
US$100
US$96
Le Meridien Cairo Airport(Cairo)
US$171
LeMeridien.com
US$108
US$177
US$116
  • Pool
Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo(Cairo)
US$154
US$125
  • Pool
All reviewscharming hotelapartment buildingquiet locationcommon areasairport pickupbusy cairoegyptian museumhome away from homebottled waterhebbazamalekbadridriverarabicpyramidsbalconiesnile
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We stayed in Longchamps for 3 nights after staying in two other Cairo Hotels; we had to leave (we were booked on a tour, which stayed at the Marriott) - we have far preferred to remain at Longchamps than go to the Marriott. The staff are helpful but unobtrusive; tipping is not allowed; the proprietress, Hedda, runs the hotel very efficiently. There is a balcony at the front and an open-air terrace at the back - both on the fifth floor. Free wi-fi throughout the hotel and a free computer to use near the terrace.
The rooms vary - we stayed in two of them and they were both fine. The breakfast provided was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bensonsanda
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Wonderful hotel with a great breakfast. I loved the communal areas. They were very homely and spacious and there were various books which you could pick up and read. At night it was even prettier since candles were lit in the halls and it was really nice to relax on the balconies in the evening when it was cooler out. They even had free internet which we could use on their comp or on our own which was nice since I hadn't had free internet or even internet in the other hotels I stayed at.
Our only complaint was that their restaurant was not serving dinner when we were there. It was only a problem since my boyfriend, unfortunately, was sick with a fever and ear ache while we stayed there and we had to venture out to get food. It's not a problem since there are many nice restaurants in Zamelek but my b/f really didn't feel like leaving the hotel at night.
I have to address some issues which the poster below me said because I think she has forgotten that she left US soil, is in a third world country, and the hotel has only 3 stars not 5. In many countries crepes are called pancakes and actually the American pancakes are unheard of in most other places, plus I think crepes are far better than American pancakes.
About the elevator, the floors are supposed to fall a few inches. It’s the weighing system of old elevators and since it knows people are inside you have to close the door. When there is no one inside than it’ll go without the doors being closed. It’s a safety feature not something that’s broken.
Around the corner there is the tiniest store that’s the size of a cupboard which has a really nice salesman which will sell you big bottles of water for about 2 pounds (the cheapest water we found in all of Egypt) so we had no water complaints.
I do agree about the shower, it could have better pressure.

1  Thank Atalanta8
Reviewed 16 September 2009

This is the only place we stayed in Cairo, but I doubt you would get more value at the major hotels. Longchamps has 30 rooms, so it did not seem as personal for us as many reviews stated.
Arrange a driver through the hotel ahead of time for day trips as they will probably all be booked when you arrive.
The breakfast is quite good, but if you take a breakfast box to go (available if you leave before breakfast begins) don't expect much.
Room #15, a standard room, seemed bigger and better than the more expensive Executive room we were shown.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

My husband and I stayed in an executive room at the Longchamps during Ramadan of 2009. We stayed here based on the great reviews we read on Tripadvisor and the fact that it seemed like a great bang for your buck. Although the hotel was good in some respects it did have some shortcomings. We arrived to a not so great start as our driver who was arranged by the hotel was not there to pick us up, so I wound up having to find a cab at the airport and overpaid about 25LE just because we were tired and did not feel like arguing.We were coming from Greece and normally Greece and Egypt are in the same time zone but because of Ramadan the clock turns back one hour. So, it turned out that the driver did show up but an hour earlier because of the time change. I did not realize the time change and Hebba although she did have our full flight details did not either. To be fair I will take an equal blame for this. To give her credit we were not charged for the driver even though he did attempt to pick us up. We read so many negative reviews about the elevator. Yes it is rickety and the floor falls a few inches when you step in but it really wasn't so bad. Hebba and one of the night hotel staff were really good however the other staff members were mediocre. Most were not that friendly, and sometimes requests took awhile. For example we waited over a half hour for bottled water on the day we arrived, however when they did arrive they were large cold bottles. The room was clean and spacious, the air conditioner worked really well and there was plenty of closet/drawer space. However, the furniture was a bit dated, lighting was poor,and the electrical outlet could not handle my hairdryer even though I had the proper converter/adapter. Although the beds were king-sized, they were incredibly hard. I got used to them but my husband suffered from backaches. There were some wooden floor panels that were loose and came up when walking over them. The bathroom was spacious and nice with the exception of the water pressure in the shower which was weak and it also took 15-20 min to get any hot water. There was also a sink, tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge in the room. We arranged 2 full day private tours with a driver and Egyptologist through the hotel which worked out great. We did the Sakkara, Giza pyramids, camel ride and Memphis on our first day and the Egyptian Museum, Mosque and Madrasa of Sultan Hassan and the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar on our second day. The driver and tour guide Gigi (for short) were both really good. The breakfast at the hotel fell short and I was surprised at why so many people raved about it. The chocolate croissants and toast were just about all I ate. They had runny scrambled eggs, "sausages" which turned out to be hot dogs, "pancakes" which turned out to be crepes, yogurt that was served warm and a few other items. Breakfast was served from 7 to 10am. On our first morning we arrived at 9:30am and we found slim pickings so the food doesn't get replenished often or at all. One huge disappointment was that we thought based on their website that we would be able to get lunch and dinner at the hotel. This was not offered because her cook was out with a broken leg. We thought that it probably would have been smart to hire a temporary replacement but this wasn't the case. All in all our stay was mediocre. If you are a backpacker, or on a really tight budget Longchamps is the place for you. Hebba overall is really nice and seemed genuinely concerned for her guests however if we would do it all over again we would probably stay at a higher end hotel rather than Longchamps. We did not expect anywhere near 5 star but there were some major setbacks like the food situation, bed and shower that brought this hotel down a few notches for us.

5  Thank evenstar944
Reviewed 4 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at Longchamps for a 4 night 5 day trip for my birthday. This hotel is as good as everyone says it is in this web site. The rooms were spacious with a tv and air conditioning that worked well. They gaves us coffee and tea everyday in our room.. The breakfast was very good. They had fruit,cereal,yogart, toast,crossaints, and hot foods also like eggs, sausage & pancakes. It is in a quiet area in Zamalek and ther is a lot of place to eat all around the hotel. Mrs Heba was a great host and owner. I had left something in my room and she was kind enough to hold it for me until my husband was able to take the train back to Ciaro from Alexandria to get it for me. If your looking for a quiet resanable priced bed and breakfast dont hesitate to make a reservation here it was a joy to stay at.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple