“Growing pains”

Ranked #20 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Des Moines, Iowa
“Growing pains”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The number one selling point of this hotel - and the reason I chose it - is that it is connected directly to Cairo airport, so no need to negotiate the phalanx of touts to get a taxi or shuttle. It is a little bit of a walk, and not sign-posted very well, but eventually I found it. Upon arriving I could not identify reception, but as with virtually everything else that happens in this hotel - if you stand still for a single moment someone on staff will be on you to direct you to the right location.

I believe this hotel will be a 4 or 5 in a year's time, but at the moment it is still a three in my mind for a variety of reasons, the main one being that there is only one proper restaurant in the hotel that is actually open ( despite three being advertised) and that is EVOO. However, at that restaurant I had one of the worst meals I've ever had in a hotel. For the rest of my stay I was forced to eat all the rest of my meals at the Sports Bar which sort of worked out a whole lot more cheaply for me and I thought the sandwiches were decent. I could see the renovation going on at those other restaurants, but at the moment they are not open. Nor is there anything else within walking distance, unless one wants to backtrack to the airport. I would have dearly liked to eat something else for dinner, but it wasn't meant to be. Breakfast at EVOO was great, however, so I give them that. I probably lost some weight on the trip as I was hungry virtually the entire time with very limited options.

Some of the positives - the pool was absolutely ginormous and well heated. Since the hotel is a virtual ghost town at the moment, I had it all to myself. More positives - the wifi was free and worked probably more than half of the time, which is better than most hotels I stay. Another positive - the staff, including the unbelievably charming women working reception. They are definitely representing the Le Meridien brand well. One more plus - the rooms are very clean and modern, comfortable, and spacious.

Now, some of the glitches - the card readers in the lifts don't work very well, and I had to trudge over to reception to get new cards made. I feel like that is unacceptable, especially when coming from the pool in shorts. Get those things fixed! I also heard others complaining.

There are no information books in the rooms whatsoever. That is usually the first thing I seek out in a room to see what amenities are available at the hotel and surrounding areas. Nada, except for the limited information available on the TV system.

One more thing - one almost needs a doctorate to figure out how to use the combination knobs for the shower massage/bath/rain shower, etc. After puzzling over it for quite some time I found that I liked the rain shower, but it took a while to get that debugged.

So one more bad thing - the rooms are noisy but mainly because all doors slam and the noise comes right into the room. It's a new hotel - why couldn't they design it with slowly closing doors that don't make much noise? Elevator noise is sort of loud also. I also don't think the thermostat gauges in the room are calibrated correctly - I set the temperature pretty consistently wherever I go but at this hotel I had to ramp it up a couple of degrees because it got to be freezing in the room very quickly.

So, I guess that's it. It's a relatively new hotel and they just need to polish the rough spots and they will be in consistent 4 and 5 territory. For now though, they simply aren't there yet.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank callmeishmael
Chris N, General Manager at Le Meridien Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Callmeishmael - Thank you for your extensive and comprehensive review concerning your recent stay at Le Meridien Cairo Airport. I would like to apologize for some of the shortcomings experienced. As clearly a seasoned traveler however, I appreciate the time and effort you took to share such balanced feedback.
I review all comments with the team on a daily basis. This is critical during the early stages of the Hotel opening. I certainly have taken onboard your remarks. Some with quick wins and others requiring more time. For your information, we will very shortly have the remaining two restaurants operational as well which will provide significantly more options for dining as mentioned. It is my hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on future occasions where I am sure you will witness the improvements and developemnts.
Kind regards
Chris Newman- General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We visited end of December 2013. Although the hotel had just opened 2 weeks ago, everything was meticulous and functioning perfectly.
Our room was spacious, modern and spotlessly clean. We had a light dinner at the hotel bar. Tasty, in a nice atmosphere, although not cheap. The breakfast was heavenly. Not just in terms of quantity but also presentation, taste and quality.
We booked a tour to the pyramids through the concierge. When we came back they asked us how it was. When we told them that the guide took extra money from us, the ladies at the front desk gave us the money back! That is what I call luxury hotel and service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chris N, General Manager at Le Meridien Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share you experience at Le Meridien Cairo Airport. All guest feedback is discussed with the team on a daily basis and this was of course very motivating to read. I will be looking into the incident regarding the guide at the pyramids and establish what happened to avoid any potential reoccurrence. I am delighted however, the team reacted professionally.
My best regards,
Chris Newman - General Manager
Scotland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel opened in December so everything was sparkling and working. Being linked by a bridge from Terminal 3 made access really easy to the hotel. Staff very genuinely friendly and anxious to please. Check-in was a little slow and check-out also I would like to be in a rush to catch a plane. Bedroom a double very spacious and a well appointed bathroom. No information in the bedrooms regarding facilities and TV Guest Info was not working. Bar food at lunch was excellent, a great choice and all freshly cooked. Dinner in the main restaurant was very good although for me Salmon slightly over cooked. Super choice of buffet at breakfast. I stayed for 3 nights as a stopover and returned for 1 night on my return a gap of 3 weeks and the batman remembered what I drank!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Chris N, General Manager at Le Meridien Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
This was great and valuable feedback, thank you. Whilst overall you clearly enjoyed your stay, the points mentioned will definitely be shared with my team as we are constantly looking for ways to improve, particularly at this early stage of operation. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Best regards , Chris Newman - General Manager”
Johannesburg
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This new hotel is massive and, due to the current situation, very quiet. Staff attentive and very concerned that your experience will be a good one. Life is not easy in the Cairo hospitality industry right now. Catering and business facilities very good and well run. The gym is exceptional.

Room Tip: I would imagine, due to size, that a large conference could be a challenge to an individual guest. A...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David Graham S
Chris N, General Manager at Le Meridien Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Mr Graham – Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at Le Meridien Cairo Airport. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and your positive feedback and kind words were very much appreciated. I am also delighted you appreciated the Gym as we are working on a second stage to make the fitness and lifestyle element event more prominent in the hotel. Wishing you safe onward travels.
Best Regards – Chris Newman General Manager”
D
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Recently opened deluxe hotel with all amenities. Prime walk-in location to Cairo airport's terminal 3. We felt sympathetic with their attentive staff still trembling on their training. We discourage the attitude of their management. The "I am sorry"-Director Rooms pretends a lack of awareness: She had us checked in to the rambling party zone of a huge wedding event going. We find it inconvenient to change rooms after 10 pm. Seven hours was not enough to make up our rooms the other day. The Diretor declines our offer to go through her processes in order to eliminate the glitches. A EUR 35 discount has amused us. We insist thet we meet LeM standards when we book with LeM. We will return to the Conrad.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael S
Starwood E, General Manager at Le Meridien Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Michael S – Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your experience at the new Le Meridien Cairo Airport. I am sorry your expectations were not met on this first visit following the poor room assignment. Clearly not a positive start to your stay. It is most important that I receive all feedback, both positive and negative when starting out a new property. I would welcome further comments from you directly at chris.newman@starwoodhotels.com . I hope very much to have the opportunity to hear from you. Kind regards – Chris Newman (General Manager)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed here because we had an early morning flight out to Luxor. We were welcomed with open arms. Violetta the manager was extremely kind and also printed out our boarding passes. Brand new hotel, beautiful rooms, and no noise from the airplanes!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim M
Dear Jim M – Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Le Meridien Cairo Airport. I hope you enjoyed Egypt and safe onward travels. Regards Chris Newman (General Manager)
roma
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Meridien Cairo Airport
I had a Great experience at this hotel, tough only for one day.
First of all it's new and the staff is Very nice. Thks to all of Them and in particular to Violetta Nikopolidou that assisted us in every possible way and gave us a great example of the well known hospitality of the Meridien and, in general of the Starwood hotels.
The breakfast is excellent: one of the best i ever had in my traveller's life. And the staff at the breakfast area Was ready to provide us with all the delicatessen They prepare: lebanese, international and egyptian specialities.
All Was fresh, excellent and well prepared! And all the staff is very careful to make your breakfast a great experience.
The room Was fantastic and They also upgraded us without charging anything. This Meridien is really Perfect!
I really Want to thank Them for the courtesy, the professionality and the customer oriented attitude. When we left Violetta brought us to the airport and also called the hotel we were heading in Marsa Alam.
In fact we hadn't booked any pick up in Marsa Alam and she helped us in arranging it. At the same time when the hotel in Marsa Alam communicated that our reservation had been inexplicably deleted, she helped us in getting all the explanation and solving the misunderstanding. It was not her job but she did it just to help the clients (us).
Should i say more? The Meridien hotel gave us a real evidence of great assistence and fair play. I look forward to going back there !
Thks a lot

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Massimiliano L
Dear Massimiliano L – Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your recent experience at the new Le Meridien Cairo Airport. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that particularly you found Violetta to be so accommodating. Please be assured that all feedback is shared with the team on a regular basis as both motivation and also areas of improvement. I hope we will indeed see you back in the near future. Kind regards Chris Newman (General Manager)