“an excellent hotel,poor service and food quality”

InterContinental Citystars Cairo
Ranked #2 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Alexandria, Egypt
“an excellent hotel,poor service and food quality”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I have checked in this hotel more than once and everytime I tell myself, I got to review this hotel.And here it is.
The positive side is the excellent luxuriuos salon-like bedrooms with very good bathrooms.The views are not pretty much charming, as it is in the middle of Nasr City,which is full of tall buildings.Yet, what makes me go there is its excellent location (close to the airport and adjacent to a mega mall).The Breakfast buffet is pretty filling with a large variety of oriental and international choices.Yet, and here is the first downside, the Pastry Chef has no idea about the different pastries and their taste! I mean a sweet pasrty tastes pretty much like a savory one! I have passed this remark over to the Maitre D'Hotel the first time, but obviously the so-called Pastry Chef didn't do anything about it. The pancake batter is also one of the worst quality you could ever find on the planet! The pancake is well-done on the outside,but in the inside it is raw!!! And the batter is oozing all over the place.I was utterly disappointed at that poor quality of one of the simplest batters to prepare in a decent 5-star-hotel.

As for the service,when we booked our rooms, we were stunned to find out that they were not ready!!!And they claimed that someone has called the hotel and cancelled our booking!Such a lame excuse for a disorganised Front Dest.You get the feeling that they are not well-trained at all.They might put this fake welcoming smile on their faces,but when it comes down to business,they are disorganized,and handling reservations takes a whole lot of time.They need to be quick and accurate.

On the whole,it is a very good hotel if you are seeking comfort afte a long day of site-seeing or shopping.That is why I gave it 4oo stars.The facility is really good,but the food and service have to be taken more seriouly.Hence,the missing star.

Room Tip: If you seek serenity,choose a room away from any main street.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
ahmed_azmy, Manager at InterContinental Citystars Cairo, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear ArabianRose_35,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.
We are glad that you liked our rooms as well as our breakfast. Regarding the comments you have raised, rest assured that we will investigate it thouroughly with the team to ensure that our guests experience remain smooth and memorable. I would appreciate if you can send me a personal email on the below listed address with the details of your stay so I can feed you back with the results of our investigation.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

ahmed.azmy@interconticitystars.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ii, Finland
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I've been to the Citystars IC two times now on my business trips. On both times I stayed for a week and I had a room on the apartments building. First the room was very nice and on the second stay they were trying to put me on a lower level room, which wasn't as nice, but a short discussion with the receptionist and I was given a room upstairs with Ambassador welcome kit. The hotel is extremely lush and well kept. Pool area in the evening is unbelievably nice and has a nice atmosphere, smell from the water pipes etc. The shopping mall is just next to the hotel, which is also useful for eating etc. Service was always spot on. I used the IC limo to and from the hotel and I could do my check in while in the car - very convenient. Breakfast was also plentiful and of good quality, and it was never crowded.

There's some security at the entrances, which is good considering the situation in the country. It surely is as safe as it can get around there.

I can highly recommend this hotel. I would definitely return. My trips were in 2010.

Room Tip: Apartments side is something to consider, for a longer stay anyway.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear MikkoFinland,

Thank you for your great comments. We are delighted that you had a memorable stay at our Hotel. We have been working very hard to make sure that all our guests enjoy their stays with us. I would like to inform you that since your last visit we opened an Ambassador floor dedicated to our loyal Ambassador members like yourself and we just launched our newly renovated Club InterContinental rooms.
Looking forward to welcoming you in person for your next visit at InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I go there a lot, great great location as its in the middle of the biggest shopping center in Cairo. The worst thing there is that they need to somehow change the main chefs. Need more variety in food and more professional chefs

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Msgamal,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.
Your comments are extremely important to us and as you mentioned that you are a regular guest at our property, I would highly appreciate if you could send me a detailed email on my below listed address with the details of your comments so we can communicate them directly to our Food and Beverage department and investigate to avoid reoccurence.
Looking forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit to InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at the InterContinental on Sunday 29th to attend an event and enjoyed the hotel, the comfortable bedding, it's convenient location attached to the shopping center and to the airport, which means you don't get stuck in traffic too much.

The colleagues in the hotel had been very courteous and friendly, I.e. they were at my side when needed and it didn't take them long to respond to requests, I.e. the valet or the club lounge attendant.

The concierge was of great help to sort out my issue with my emirates flight the next day. He ha the number ready and he made my timely return possible.

• Stayed February 2012
ahmed_azmy, Manager at InterContinental Citystars Cairo, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear ck050877,

Thank you for your comments.
We are delighted that you had a memorable stay at our Hotel. Please note that we have already shared your comments with the team which had a great impact. We are working very hard to make each guest’s stay as memorable as possible.
Looking forward to welcoming you back again at the InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

Northern VA, USA
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at this property twice in the last couple of years. Both times I was on business. I found the hotel to be both an efficient business traveler minded place as well as a good vacation spot with a very nice swimming pool, many restaurants (all good) and great service overall.
I found that rooms in the "main" building were better furnished and looked nicer than the ones in the buildings that surround the pool.
Always felt safe, directly connects to a huge mall with plenty of options for dining, eating or simply taking a walk in an air conditioned area.
It is probably not as "Central" as many other hotel along the Nile, but I was there for business and my company has offices adjacent to the Citystars complex, so worked out really well.
Hotel offers an "airport service". I truly recommend it. These folks get you out of there in minutes with Visa, etc... taken care of, you check-in the car, step out of the car at the hotel and walk directly to your room.
I always enjoyed my time in Cairo, I have many colleagues/friends who took us around town and being there with locals makes it that much more enjoyable if you are wanting to discover less touristy places - I did also the touristy places Pyramids, etc... all amazing.
All in all, great place to stay in Cairo...

Room Tip: I would select the ones in main building - may have a surcharge but well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Dear flaburthe,

Thank you for your wonderful comments.
It is always a pleasure to see regular guests at our Hotel posting comments on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you are enjoying staying at the InterContinental Cairo Citystars. Please do not hesitate to contact me on my below listed email before your next visit. It will be a pleasure welcoming you personally.

Ahmed.azmy@interconticitystars.com
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Checked into hotel about 7PM with a tour. Very beautiful hotel. Near airport and huge City Stars mall. The room was lovely and met all of our needs.We also did get a chance to wonder around the Mall a little. We left the hotel at midnight for airport to catch a flight home, so our stay was quite short. Airport not too far away. We did prefer to be away from the center of the city.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear JMBFortLauderdale,

Thank you for your gentle comments.
We are delighted that you liked our property and we hope that you will have the time to enjoy our facilities during your next visit at our Hotel. We recommend that you try our newly renovated Club InterContinental rooms for your next stay. Looking forward welcoming you back.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Very Impressive Hotel , Nice Hotel , specially its adjacent to the Shopping Mall , which is great.
The Breakfast was great & good quality with multiple varieties .
But it far from the city center & any sight seeing .
Recommended for shopping & business .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Mohad_Daoud,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast.
I would recommend for your next stay to contact me directly on the below email with your sight seeing preferences and I will make sure that our concierge team can prepare a nice package for you with a lot of in the know tips that will make it a very special experience. Awaiting welcoming you back again very soon to our Hotel.

Ahmed.azmy@interconticitystars.com