“Good Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I found the hotel clean, well organised. Staff helpful (be it a bit slow to help at breakfast). Overall very good.

I have to mention Mr Medhat at the Club Lounge, he is the manager and runs a very well oiled establishment. Excellent service and attention to details. Very friendly staff. I have been to Cairo a couple of times. This is the best I have stayed at so far.

Room Tip: Club Rooms are the best value
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
ahmed_azmy, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Citystars, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Dear TravelHomeFast,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at InterContinental Cairo Citystars. We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.
We thank you for your kind comments that were passed to all of our staff and specifically Medhat from the Club Lounge who was extremely thankful. We would like to inform you that we are about to open a brand new Club InterContinental lounge in the very near future as well as 2 new Club InterContinental floors with state of the art designs and technology. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at InterContinental Cairo Citystars very soon.

Ahmed azmy
Intercontinental Cairo Citystars

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Cairo Citystars

Reviewed 17 May 2012

The dishes are always fresh and outstanding, with a sensation of flavours brought steadily to the table throughout the meal. A fresh take on the Japanese style of leisurely eating and drinking with friends. The food along with the service do reflect a very high quality and standard that you would expect from the intercontinental.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Fady A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience in Shogun Japanese restaurant. We are delighted that you had a memorable experience there and that you enjoyed the food and service. Your kind comments were passed to the staff and they were extremely grateful. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Flights from Europe to Cairo airport arrive at inhumanly hours, so it is nice to use the hotel service and be picked up by hotel staff at the gate, being ushered through passport control (he had to go to the immigration officers office to get them to man their boxes), being helped with the luggage and ride in a decent car to the hotel. No check in at the hotel required, check in is done at the airport.

I was booked in the club level due to accompanying clients which would enable me to use the club lounge for a more private meeting atmosphere.

Since I had forgotten to list my Ambassador membership which guarantees me an upgrade when booking, I went to register the card and ask for an upgrade at the front desk the next morning. I also asked to be moved to a different room because my room had a connecting door and the strong perfume fumes of 1001 night ladies kept seeping through into my room and did not allow for a restful sleep.

First they offered me a room in their Ambassador floor (the Intercontinental way of avoiding to have to give their Ambassadors a real room upgrade). I had to point out to them that a move from a newly renovated Club level to a not renovated Ambassador level room can hardly be considered an upgrade.

A consultation with the front desk manager which took place in Arab language resulted in them offering me a suite on the not renovated 4th floor. Me asking about suites on the 14th floor resulted in the information that there are no suites at the club level. I was taken to the suite at the 4th to have a look. It was nice and well appointed had however in the bedroom an air-condition outlet directly over the bed, which I did not like and find very uncomfortable.

I went back to the front desk with the decision to stay on the club level just wanted a room without a connecting door. I ended up explaining my story to another guy all together at the front desk who told me that there are no rooms available without connecting rooms and that I anyway had already been upgraded from my previously booked room into a larger room and me asking for an upgrade without pay was not quite appropriate.

I asked how they could have known that they were getting an Ambassador guest since I just 10 minutes ago informed them about this fact.

Another consultation with the front desk manager in Arabic resulted in him taking over and offering me a suite on the 14th club level to "make me happy"? (Behold within the past 10 minutes they had built suites on the 14th floor)!

I told him I did not want the suite due to the air condition outlet, just wanted a room without a connecting door.

Plus I wanted to make clear to him that I felt handled by the front desk staff by:

1.) Speaking in Arabic in front of me
2.) Lying to me about room availability
3.) Claiming that I had already received an upgrade when I did not
3.) Accusing me of wanting something I did not deserve

I ended up staying on the 14 th floor in the room I had originally booked without connecting door without an upgrade!

Following some additional information about the room and the hotel outlets:

1.) The windows could not be closed properly and the room was therefore very noisy
2.) Air condition was very noisy and rattled.
3.) The electronic room key had to be renewed every night during my stay (very annoying)!
4.) The one night extension booked separately required me to check out and check in again at the front desk (another trip down to the front desk)!
5.) Avoid the outlets, apart from the Lebanese and the Italian restaurant their food is cooked by chefs who have no clue of cuisine and are so full of themselves they could burst
6.) Transportation booking from the hotel to the airport was not communicated properly between concierge and the front desk and resulted in further hassle when checking out at 1 am for a 4 am flight.

Otherwise is Egypt a beautiful country, with immense history, great proud people and huge business opportunities!

Room Tip: Unless you want to be gassed to dead by either smokers in nonsmoking rooms or ladies or as a matter...
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear sunny1234,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found the hotel service useful especially after a long flight. We want every guest to receive comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our front desk staff. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in out hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have been there for a 1 week business trip. This is my 2nd time stay in 1 year.

I believe it's my favorite business hotel in Cairo... The staff are very attentive and the rooms as very clean. A true 5 stars hotel in Cairo's busiest part! Amazingly it's connected to the biggest and trendiest shopping mall in Cairo, it has many varieties of restaurants and their breakfast buffet is rich, I specially liked the eastern desserts. I also liked (ShoGun) the Japanese rest; serves very nice tipyniaki.

Its location is perfect.. 15 minutes by taxi from Cairo airport (You can pay 50-75 L.E. for the drive), connected to City Stars shopping mall (the biggest in Cairo), cinemas are playing movies all-day round in the City Stars mall, 10 minutes walk from the very busy Abbas Al-aqqad street, where you can enjoy yourself for a typical Egyptian cafe and smoke Shisha.

However; if you would like to ride a feluka (small boat) in the river Nile and enjoy a magnificent trip at the sunset time or travel 7,000 years back in the history to visit the Pyramids and Sphinx, you'll have to take a long way. To reach the Nile, it takes around 45 min. and to reach the pyramids it takes around 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on traffic.

Excellent for day business and nightlife amusements (due to its GREAT location in modern Cairo).

Room Tip: Any room will do it.
2  Thank Kareemoyaboy_3

Dear Kareemoyaboy_3

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at InterContinental Cairo Citystars. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We are always happy to see our guests coming again and enjoying their stay each time.
Your lovely comments were shared with all the team and they were thankful. I am looking forward to welcoming you in person for your next stay at InterContinental Cairo Citystars. Please contact me on my email before your next visit.

Ahmed.azmy@ihg.com

Reviewed 11 May 2012

After reading positive reviews, decided to give Intercon City Stars a go. Difficulties at check-in should have been a clue as to how the rest of the stay will be. Porters immediately hounded us upon arrival and were asking for tips even though we hadn't even reached the check-in desk. Hotel did not have our reservations, despite having a confirmation number, so we had to make a new reservation, are are still trying to reconcile old reservations with Expedia. Got hit on again for tips on way to room. Had dinner at the grille near the pool, horrible service and mediocre food (travelers to Egypt will agree that you don't go to Egypt for fine dining, although local food is excellent). Got a call from front desk after dinner saying that they gave me wrong rate and I needed to pay extra for the room. A new one for me! They tried to shake me down again upon check out. Me and other guests, who will write their own reviews, felt that the staff was rude, aggressive and made this one of the worst hotels we have stayed at. Will not repeat, Cairo has many other choices with superior service (I.e. Four Seasons, etc.)

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TheDiplomats

Dear TheDiplomats,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at InterContinental Cairo Citystars. We believe that we can only improve our services through our guests’ feedback. On behalf of the whole team I apologize for the inconvenience occurred during your stay. Rest assured that your comments won’t go unnoticed as we have opened an investigation with the concerned staff in order to take corrective action and avoid reoccurrence of such incidents to our guests. I would kindly request that you send me an email on my personal email listed below in order to get more details about the issues that you faced during your stay to make sure that everything is being investigated in the best way possible.
I hope that the above comments will not deter you from staying with us again, since we are committed to the highest levels of service. I trust that you will give us a second chance to make it up and show you our true level of service.

Ahmed.azmy@ihg.com

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed two nights at the Intercontinental City Stars in April. We were traveling with a group. Check in was smooth, they have security at the entrances. It is connected to a beautiful mall with the same name. The mall is massive and has many places to eat in it. The Hotel property is large and beautifully taken care of. We did not have time to use the pool but wish we could have. The rooms are nice and beds very comfortable. We walked through an area where they were having a wedding reception. We watched the celebration for a while with Egyptian music and dancing which added to the ambience. We consider this one of the nicest Hotels we have stayed in in the world. The beakfast buffet was also fabulous. Our tour guide told us local people come here just to eat breakfast on special occasions.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear mezollinger,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at InterContinental Cairo Citystars. At InterContinental we do our utmost to make sure that our guests enjoy their stays and have a great breakfast experience as well as this is one of the most important aspects of the guests’ stay for us. We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable experience. We hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again at InterContinental Cairo Citystars very soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was my third visit to the hotel, it didn't decline a single bit in anything over the last couple of years. u can still feel that everything is brand new, Its being taken very good care of the building , facilities & particular care to the visitors. The room was more than spacious, 2 wardrobe cabinets, a balcony , a very comfortable bed, great TV prog. where u'd definitely find ur choice in easily,coz it was categorized for u. Regarding the food , breakfast had all kinds of plates , from oriental to sushi . I also had lunch in an open buffet were it happened to be the best I had in years in Cairo. Overall it was a really thrilling experience as usual in Intercons.

Room Tip: Higher floors to reduce the voices , specially on thursdays & fridays (weekends in Egypt).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
ahmed_azmy, Manager at InterContinental Cairo Citystars, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear Daebes,

We are always delighted to see our guests coming over and over again and enjoying our Hotel. We always strive to do our utmost to make sure that our guests have a memorable stay with us. Awaiting welcoming you in person for your next visit.

ahmed.azmy@ihg.com