“Not quite at Novotel standards”

Novotel Cairo 6th Of October
Ranked #36 of 144 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed for a business trip while visiting a customer in 6th Oct City as a previous visit staying in central Cairo meant enduring traffic and lost time. The hotel looks good from the outside and inside with efficient check-in but had to prepay for room. My room was one of the larger ones available facing the pool. Facilities in the room are standard and clean. I did not use the paid Internet access but chose to use the free wifi in the reception area like most others. Unfortunately the wifi signal is not great and can get busy in the evening. There was a singer in the bar area next to reception for several night of the week. Food in the restaurant is fine. Staff in the restaurant require better management as they looked quite busy but did not provide tea/coffee on seating, clear empty plates/cups, etc. and generally not very effective which lets the hotel down a rating. This is another hotel that does not appear to regularly clear room service trays from outside the rooms e.g. trays present for 12 hours. I have to mention the helpful gift shop owner who helped me replace my faulty phone charger. Unfortunately due to work hours it was not possible to visit the local 'Mall of Arabia' down the road (you can walk but watch the traffic carefully) but checkout other reviews.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room for extra space.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
KARIM E, Manager at Novotel Cairo 6th Of October, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear, Sir

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your comments and prevent future occurrence.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Novotel 6th October has to me a friendly environment, Rooms are cozy with a relaxing pool view., Staff is friendly ans helpful,The hotel is located out of the Cairo City crowd & noise.
I enjoy the stay in Novotel 6th of October no matter where my business meeting is located in Cairo. just because it provides me the quietness & relaxation needed before my business meeting.

Room Tip: Rooms with pool view are so relaxing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
KARIM E, Manager at Novotel Cairo 6th Of October, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear Mr. Rashwan

Thank you for taking the time to review us .

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo 6Th October.

Manager

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Professional reception and room service, they smile and make you feel comfortable.
Good rooms, new bed sheets, clean, a wide choice for breakfast. I prefer fresh butter, not the packed one, they brought me some in an instant.
Close to Cairo, 20 minutes from city centre, the taxi is ~50LE.
Nice pool, warm water, can be used in any season. Gym is good, too.

It is a 10 minutes walk from Mall of Arabia. There you can find really nice places to eat, fresh food, fruits, presents, etc. High standards, suitable fro foreigners. The personnel is very, very polite and welcoming.

The taxi service of the hotel is terrible, even the price is triple. Prices may vary by the customer, there is no displayed price list. Drivers insist for a tip and suddenly become impolite if you don't give them anything.
Once, the driver stopped near a shop, bought fizzy drinks and put them next to me. I didn't use them but he asked for the money and a tip at the end! Or they try to sell you some souvenirs.
Solution: Walk 100 meters to the main street and look for a white taxi at the hospital's entry gate. Usually are all time there or the guard will be happy to help you. Or call for one to the hotel.
Internet is available in the reception area. But is very noisy because of the bar's music, they could lower the volume a bit.
Internet in the room is very expensive. Go to the mall, buy a prepaid Vodafone USB stick and pay 100LE for a few Gb of traffic.

Transportation from airport: Normal taxi is 130 LE. Just go outside the building and take a white taxi. Do not take the "sharks" inside. Take your time.

Room Tip: For a nice view, ask for top floor, East side. Rooms at first floor are noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Loutraki

Thank you for taking the time to review us .

Daniel Cousin

Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2013

It was a very good stay,nice room,good location,nearest hotel to Misr university,Good Service and Friendly staff especially Reception was wonderful and professional.
Me and my son enjoyed in your hotel.Thank you Novotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlIaa1900Dr
KARIM E, Manager at Novotel Cairo 6th Of October, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Dr. Alaa

Thank you for taking the time to put a review on trip advisor about Novotel Cairo 6th Of October.

We appreciate your positive comments very much regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo 6Th October.

Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is my 7th stay at this hotel. This time for one week for business. The hotel has managed to improve their service level - al though in tough times with respect to business guest and turist numbers that are falling.

Security: A new security firm are running security - and it seems to be for the better.

Reception: Friendly and professional - handling check in and check out. This time faster than usual.

Bar: More nights with live music, and generally a good vibrant atmosphere.

Free WIFI: Good coverage in the reception, bar, restaurant and outdoor café area.

Gym: It is free - no running belt as it has been removed - but new bikes are in place. Small but fairly good facilities if you are not Arnold Schwarzenegger - 20 years ago.

Sleeping: Its quiet and pillows are plenty and large like in a 5 star hotel.

Food: Here is one spot for the hotel to improve in. I'm a heavy coffee drinker - but have to skip it in the morning. The breakfast buffet is ok... and the chef doing your eggs know what he is doing. The hotel renewed its Menu cards - which means that paper is new but meals the same...like for 3 years ago. If you want your breakfast outside - can be quite nice - just-do-it-your-self is the best strategy for getting your dining tools outside.

Staff: Staff are always very friendly - but not always well trained. Don't expect a 4 star treat - you will be dissapointed. Aim a little lower and sometimes have a little extra patience - and you will feel well served.

Pool: Clean and great as always !

Thank you Novotel for making the stay a little better. Go and make great food - and you will earn an extra star from me.

Room Tip: Go for a Poolside room in the ground floor. You will have a terrase right next to the pool - and onl...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John__C__1968
KARIM E, Manager at Novotel Cairo 6th Of October, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear Mr. John

Thank you for taking the time to sent us your comments

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Our family took a two night getaway from busy Cairo life (we work here as U.S. ex-pats) to relax with our kids. I made the reservation online with the actual hotel website and had an email confirmation with confirmation #. Upon arrival, the receptionist could not find the reservation at all. Even after showing him my reservation on my smart phone, he couldn't find it. It was not in his system. I made sure he gave me the same rate as I had prepaid for. That alone took about half an hour to check-in. When we got our "non-smoking" room with sofa bed (for the kids), it smelled definitely of smoke. But we accepted it and unpacked all of our bags and set up house. About an hour later, I decided to open the sofa bed to set up the kids' beds, but to my dismay, it was not a sofa bed, just a normal one. So I called and told them we need a room with a sofa bed, and by the way we should have a superior room, not a standard room (because the room we were given sure looked and felt like just a standard room). So we had to re-pack all our bags and wait for a new room. We ended up all going back downstairs to the lobby. I told them that I wanted to make sure that I'm getting a superior room, as what i paid for in my reservation. They finally got a room with a sofa bed, and my wife went upstairs first to check if it was acceptable to us. While she was upstairs, I asked the receptionist if the room was a standard room or a superior room. He said it's a standard room. I told him that I reserved a superior room. Then he talked with the manager for a good long while; and finally the manager said that the room we got is a superior family room, because it has the sofa bed. I thought perhaps he was just saying that to me to make me feel better, but I accepted it because i was tired of all of it by now.

Later when we ate dinner at the buffet, since we got a room for half board (breakfast and dinner); they brought me the bill for two full adult dinner buffets. I told them that it was half board and included in the room fees. The restaurant manager said he'd check and when he returned he showed my name, room, and breakfast only written next to it. I told them for sure we got half board. He said this is something I need to take up with the front desk. It was then I was very upset and had to raise my voice in Arabic and tell them that there have been so many errors today from the hotel system, I can't believe what kind of hotel this was. That got his attention (because here, if you raise your voice a bit, they have to take care of it for you quickly). The hotel manager later came and said that we have half board and that the restaurant didn't know it until they told him. I said that's fine. But I thought to myself that they really need to have better communication here. It really inconveniences a guest client if we constantly have to correct the staff for system errors and miscommunication. It takes away from the relaxation of our weekend. I appreciated all that the hotel manager was doing for us, trying to diffuse the situation... but I would really request from him to train the staff better so they can communicate with each other.

The second night, my in-room safe stopped working. Before dinner I told them if they could fix it while we're at dinner. After our return, it still was not fixed. Someone finally came and fixed it but why did it have to take so long to do it? We were at dinner for over an hour!

The pool during January was supposed to be heated, and it was a bit, but not enough. We ended up swimming for about an hour only. It was just too cold to stay in there.

The breakfast buffet and dinner buffet was good enough. Not bad. But nothing exquisite. The quantity of choices was limited, because I think the hotel is not full and it makes no sense to have a huge amount of variety of foods for a very minimal amount of guests. I understand that.

Other than all that, it was quiet, relaxing enough; close to Mall of Arabia where we went out for lunch. There is a nice open green yard behind the pool and kids playground, but one of the swings was broken and missing. The pool has reclining chairs but not enough. I counted about only 18. In the hot summers, I think it would not be enough, but perhaps they bring out more when it's hotter. Not sure.

Would I come back? Not sure. Probably not. Unless I read more reviews later about the quality of service being improved.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cairoegypt
KARIM E, Manager at Novotel Cairo 6th Of October, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo 6Th October. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Hotel Novotel 6th October is convenient if you do business in the 6th October City south of Cairo or you would like a relaxing hotel out of Cairo City center. It is located in a quiet mostly residential neighborhood only 15 to 20 minutes by taxi from the industrial area of 6th October City, and 15 minutes walk from Arabian mall the biggest in Cairo. The hotel has all the necessary facilities including free wifi in lobby, restaurant, fitness room, atm, and concierge for transportation facilities that I don't recommend because they charge high fees even if you share the cab.

The hotel looks very neat from the outside and was even more comfortable inside. The staff was all very helpful. The rooms are very well laid out and the beds, bathrooms and restaurant all add to the experience. I happened to visit between Christmas and New Years so the place was decked up nicely. I had no hesitation in staying here again

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
KARIM E, Manager at Novotel Cairo 6th Of October, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Mr. KamDali

Thank you for taking the time to add a review about Novotel Cairo 6th of OCtober .