“Not the best.. worth a visit” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Zoo

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“Not the best.. worth a visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Wide range of animals..nothing compared to the beauty of the singapore zoo,but interesting none the less..2 hours well spent..

2 Thank SharadSud-Gurgaon

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Not Recomended- Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited this zoo around five years ago and had a terrible experience. Was followed around the entire time by a large gang of children of mixed ages who muttered, chanted and swore at me. Would not wish to repeat this experience.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Polargirl13
Luxor, Egypt
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Not as bad as you hear online, was quite nice, actually.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

On my recent 5th trip to Egypt, I had my 12 year old disabled daughter with me for the first time and she really wanted to see the Giza Zoo in Cairo. I'd read online it was just a mess. Nonetheless we went, and were pleasantly surprised.
There were a couple of empty exhibits and overall the animals cages and enclosures are small and not 'modern' but it was clean and well staffed. The animals looked well fed and cared-for.

Some might be turned off by the photographers following you about and taking photos of you holding the baby lion, or standing by the elephant, or petting a bear through the cage bars, but my daughter really enjoyed that as did myself and her older sister, the animals all seemed well fed, we assumed in part by those photography fees, in spite of the economy troubles of Egypt...so we did not mind getting those photos taken or paying for them ...I think it was 20 Egyptian pounds per picture in all the three of us had like 360 Egyptian pounds in photos but that was just about $50, which was not bad we thought as our entrance to the zoo was just 20 Egyptian Pounds each, (bout 3 dollars.)

I also enjoyed the lovely grounds, many locals were picnicing about the flower gardens, there was also a tent cafe where we sat and had drinks, and a very pretty bridge overhead of some of the enclosures.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank empressginger
Alexandria, Egypt
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A Disgrace..!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

A disgrace for humanity... I've heard stories about the bad treatment against animals and the lack of professional staff at the zoo, but when i witnessed it with my own eyes I couldn't believe it came down to this!!!! Kids are harassing animals with whatever methods they could, under the eyes of the weak and nonprofessional staff. Most of the animals are weak and seems to have plenty of health problems. Even the flora inside the zoo which was very unique and was one of the best and very few places to hold huge number of rare plants from all over the world, the trees didn't even been spared from the stupid habit of writing names and political phrases on it. I used to get there when I was younger and did not thought to see it came to this condition.

The zoo has very good potentials and the landscape is very well designed when constructed decades ago, but it needs good management and funds to bring it to the previous state and redeem it's reputation as one of the best in the world.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank MikeFarid
New Lenox, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Giza Zoo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've visited Giza Zoo in Sept. 2009 and almost 4.5 yr later still can't forget this experience. The memory of those animals living in horrible conditions brings me to tears. The one that shocked me the most was the large elephant, changed by one leg while people took photos. When my husband and I walked up to this elephant, the look in his eyes was full of terror, while lifting his chained leg like he was begging for mercy to let him be free. This image which was left in my mind breaks my heart. I'm sure after the revolution things had gotten much worse for all these animals. Their definitely needs to be an outside help intervening in a process of releasing these animals back into their habitat since the zoo can't afford to properly feed them, take care of them. The staff hired is not properly fit to care for these animals. On certain days the animals do not get food, they "fast" was told be one of the employees. It's very tragic to see animals so depressed and abused by people. However, for a Westerner coming to a Third World Country and comparing the treatment is horrifying. While walking through the zoo, I got the feeling that animals kept in cages showed more intelligence than the Islamic third world nation which brutally and deadly caged and chained them.

Visited March 2013