“Great location BUT......”

Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Ranked #103 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We loved the location but the traffic noise, the very dodgy lift and a bedroom carpet that was so dirty that it was sticky. We had intended to stay for two nights but legged it after one. The staff and the restaurant gave us no cause for complaint but the building needs a total renovation.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere !
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Phil&Lynne
There are newer reviews for Cleopatra Palace Hotel

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I cme here with my family for a relaxing break over Xmas, and had a great time at the Hotel. We booked plunge pool rooms on the top floor, which I would recommend even if you don't want a plunge pool, as the rooms and balconies are a lot larger. The rooms were very clean, and you could tell the maid had been in there daily. The food was nice and enjoyable, and the breakfast was very nice too. The swimming pool in the hotel itself isn't all that great, but as we has access to the blue Mediterranean palace hotel next doors we went there everyday to that pool. The entertainment in the cleopatra is simple, so if you're looking for more of a show I would recommend walking across to the blue hotel as well.
To co close an enjoyable clean stay for a nice week in the sun.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Advicemonkey99
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Note: I stayed here in 2008. I was really looking for an inexpensive hotel that is very near the subway and the Egyptian Museum so I landed in this hotel. Got it for $30 with breakfast.

Hotel is just diagonally in front of the museum which was the highlight of my trip. The subway is just across so you can explore the city centre easily. The hotel is so near fastfood areas and local eateries.

The hotel staff and elevator man are friendly, as most of the Egyptians I've met. They readily gave me directions.

The hotel is pretty old and you can't expect much from the room. My room had a balcony that opens out into Tahrir Square, no aircon, just fan which was okay as it was winter anyway. The room was as clean as I expected but they cleaned it after I requested them to. Breakfast was uneventful.

Overall though, it needs a lot of improvement. But if you want a conveniently located hotel without spending much, this can be a good choice.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank OrangeFlamingo
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We were told that this was a 3* hotel...as if. Before going to Cairo I read reviews on this hotel and thought it couldnt be that bad...believe me it is. On arrival the staff barely spoke a word of English and werent helpful at all. The elevator ws as old as the building and looked as if it was on its last leg. The room was foul, especially the bathroom which looked as if it had never been cleaned . Dont even get me started on the fridge in the room - it stank and was full of flies. The noise from the square across the road was so loud which made sleeping impossible. There was no help from the staff on tourist information and activities - one member of staff didnt even know what "The Pyramids" were.
There are far better hotels nearby. Honestly dont stay here.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank kinkiyinki55
Reviewed 21 December 2008

we went to hotel cleopatra just to have a look to see weather it was good enough to stay when we walked the hotel looked ok we asked to look at the rooms we had to wait 10 minutes for the lift when it arrived we cramped in the lift is very old . we looked at the room it was disgusting the carpets were horrible there were no blankets the bathroom was so disgusting the hotel seemed like it was never cleaned. we refused to stay in such a disgusting room so they showed us another room which they said was better but it was just the same horrible and disgusting the floor on which the room was, there was a leak so there was water all on the floor.
they said that they were 3 star but it should be rated 0 star such a horrible hotel it needs to be decorated .

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank sajida123
Reviewed 15 November 2008

After one futile investigation into a building with the letters Sun Hotel on it, we spotted a massive hotel building with the impressive name of Cleopatra Hotel. We checked it out and returned to the group with the encouraging news that we could have 2 suites for just under $100 a night. Just the thing, we thought. We were all very tired and certainly not in the mood to cross those busy Cairo streets looking for another hotel. So that’s how we ended up staying at the Cleopatra for 4 nights. The unanimous agreement of the participating members is never again stay at the Cleopatra hotel. Dingy, smelly, decrepit rooms; air conditioning didn’t work very well; constant noise of horns and traffic; only one sheet on the beds, and I had to call about 10 different people to try to tell them what I wanted, and none of them knew English worth anything; what was really crazy was that the only way down from the 8th floor was the elevator; the stair door was closed and locked. We often had to wait 10 to 15 minutes on the elevator, which was also decrepit like everything else in this hotel. They did have a what passed for a breakfast buffet, but compared to the real food we were used to in Israel, it was sad. The rolls were the only really good thing there. They had cucumbers and tomatoes, but you could tell they weren’t fresh. The cheese was too salty to eat.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mrdanfish
Reviewed 9 October 2008

We were brought here by the unscrupulous taxi service at the Cairo airport. Paid $60.00 for the filthiest place I've ever been. Left luggage in room for 2hrs, and returned to hundreds of cockroaches all over luggage, bed, furniture, etc. Freaked out!! They wouldn't refund money...and we were told "They're only small cockroaches"!!!! (we were told this was a 3* hotel).
Left immediately for excellent hotel across the street.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends