“Simply FANTASTIC!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Norge
“Simply FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here many times. This hotel has mastered the perfect hotel code: atmosphere, superb staff with priceless service on all levels, excellent food, best gym in Cairo, very good security - and lounges you will long back to. Grand hotels which you want to come back to are far in between: This is one!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank DocWayfarer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Airdrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

I am Canadian, so I love to stay at Fairmont properties whenever I can. They are known for their excellent service and gorgeous facilities. The Fairmont Nile City did not disappoint-neither as a Fairmont property nor as a 5 star. It is a hidden jewel both in the Cairo skyline and tourism industry. A large hotel that makes intimate connections with guests through its design and its superior staff.

I must first begin by saying that I went to Cairo knowing full well the political ramifications. yet there was not one moment when I felt I was in danger. If you are thinking of a trip to Cairo but uncertain of the political climate, this is the place to stay. The entry to the hotel was gated and securely guarded. Although I never felt it was necessary, it was still great peace of mind.

There are xray machines at the two main entry points- the front entrance and the door to the mall. Each time I returned, I was welcomed back with a smile and often by name.

The staff take pride in knowing who you are, anticipating and taking care of your every need. I had the luxury of staying on the Gold floor-which I can highly recommend if you can splurge; but even if you can't, the rest of the staff take great care of all guests.

The Gold floor lounge staff was so helpful. The personal butlers are a great touch. I am not accustomed to such attention in the real world, but for a bit of a magical stay, it was a delight. I can highly recommend a quick bite and bevvie overlooking a sunset across the Nile.

The rooftop pool is really, another piece of heaven. It is the best place to see a sunrise or sunset in Cairo. There are 3 pools: a raised jetted tub, a kiddie pool and an adult pool. On a clear day, you can see the Grand Pyramid from the rooftop.

There are all kinds of places to lounge and eat. The pool side staff seem to know what you need before you do! Having a lunch poolside, was quite reasonable and water in an ice bucket-an inexpensive necessity. The music was relaxing and unobtrusive. *If you are lucky, Ibrahim will be on duty-he was a pool side highlight and missed when not on duty*

The Willowstream Spa was yet again, another bit of heaven. The massages were on for half price as a soft opening of the spa was underway. I know my massages and each one was healing and relaxing. Every attendant was kind, professional and exceptionally good at what they do, and such a healing energy about them as well.

I had reflexology-which cleared my sinuses right there and then, a deep tissue massage the night of my arrival-which I swear was the reason I did not suffer jet lag, a pedicure-which looked great for weeks and a facial. I don't usually get facials, but this one made my skin feel great and almost put me to sleep!

The list of treatments are varied and, had I the time at the end of my trip, I would have tried the Hammam. All the ancient beauty treatment secrets of Egyptian women are available. The women's lounge overlooks the Nile-a great view either day or night. Summer, the locker room attendant was most kind, helpful and unobtrusive.

These Fairmont rooms come with some specialized local treats-essential oils for bathing such as lavendar and bergamot. The bathrooms are luxurious-marble tiles, rain showers and you can see your TV from the tubs with surround sound into the bath area-if that is of importance to you.

The bedding was to die for. Egyptian cotton of course, but specially woven for the hotel-an amazing weave that felt like silk.

If you are squeamish about such things, you may want to request a Nile River view room as the back side of the hotel faces a slum area.

The night housekeeping staff had quite the senses of humour-even if I did not speak Arabic. I had a stuffed horse I was using in photos (like the traveling gnomes gag) and I would often find him in humourous places. I left him face down on the dresser one day and came back to find he was perched between the pillows, arms open into a hug position.

The restaurants are stunning and the food is gourmet. I think you will find something at every price level-even though this is a five star.

I must admit, I was a bit shocked to see how close the revolution violence came to the hotel, but the staff tell me, at no time were the guests ever in danger. One manager told me of how many employees stayed in the hotel for weeks to make sure guests were cared for during such an uncertain time. This exemplifies both the Egyptian people that I met and the Fairmont staff.

If you have never been to Egypt, (this was my first trip) this is the time to go. Sadly for so many Egyptians, many tourists are staying away. That means for those of us who do make the trip- there are no line ups. The people were most kind and welcoming. When I left on my day trips, it was always wonderful to come 'home' to such clean and familiar surroundings.

Be sure to download the directions to the hotel for your airport taxi driver (in Arabic). Since it is new, some do not know where it is. Staff are only a phone call away if you have a need when you are out.

Speaking of taxis, the front door staff always write the details down of your driver. Do not leave the driveway until the driver puts the meter on. Only take the licensed white taxis when out.

The staff here are more than happy to help you arrange guides and plan your days. The mall next to the hotel is great to go to to check out prices before you go to Khan elKhelli -so you can bargain effectively. For those of you who are hooked on Starbucks, as a few other reviewers have noted, there is one in the mall-no chai tea latte though- and there is a movie theatre there too.

If going to the Giza pyramids, make sure you find a reputable camel/horse/buggy vendor. Times are tough and life is quite unregulated there. The staff can recommend. I think I paid 60 EGP for a camel ride.

The City Stars Mall (the biggest mall I have been in and I have been in many) is about a 40 minute, 30 EGP trip from the hotel-that is sue to traffic. Shopping at Spinney's at the mall is equivalent to shopping at a Walmart and lots of fun. Many upscale shops at the mall-more than what I could afford, but well worth a look.

I could write more, but I will end with this thought: the Fairmont Nile City was an amazing experience in all ways. For those of you living in the UK or Europe-I see many deals offered here at the hotel and what a quick and inexpensive trip to a sunny slice of heaven. I wish I lived closer and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: If you are a Fairmont President's Club member, wifi is free.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank CDNPrairieGal
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We were heading from Africa to Europe and decided to fly into Cairo and see the sites. Via email we worked with the concierge team and got an early check-in and airport pickup -- excellent. We also worked with the concierge for a half day tour, but their team let us down in this department...more on this latter. The hotel was excellent. The breakie buffet was outstanding and we even got a recipe from one of the waiters. Laundry service was efficient and we had our safari clothes done and back to us the same day. Both my partner and I used their newly remodeled spa that was sporting excellent workers 'stolen' from other 5 star hotels. Amazing spa and roof top pool etc. A great buy compared to their competitors like the Four Seasons.

Now for the concierge lesson: When we agree to pay for a half a day of site seeing with their provided guide and driver, we expect at least 4 hours of service and before starting we informed their team that we wanted to see the Spinx, etc. and then hit the museum, the girl working the desk was confused a bit, but I think the message finally got in. We left, saw the sites and then asked to be taken to the museum, and our guide got on the phone who was we assumed was the main concierge and things didn't go well. First he told us it would cost extra, then he said there were protest in the area. Long story short, we got taken to the museum, there were no protests, our guide wanted to stay with us, but couldn't cross the concierge, so we ditched the hotel's help. Basically we were left on our own and this could have gone very bad, but luckily didn't. We met a former curator and hired him and had an outstanding time and afterwards, he got us a taxi and we went back to the hotel in time for our spa appointments. The museum was a highlight! The concierge was apologetic and comp'd a hire car back to the airport the next day, but more importantly, we hoped he/they/the team learned a valuable lesson about customer service. It costs the hotel so little to make a customer happy, why jeopardize it. I'd hate to see my post if we got 'sacked' in the streets of Cairo because of short-sightedness, or never got to see one of the world’s most important museums!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Aalborg, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

This is a wonderful wonderful hotel. It is not only one of the best hotels in Cairo, but around the world. Top quality rooms, style, service, atmosphere, food, facilities, etc etc. It is one of the cleanest places I've ever seen (and I am obsessed with cleanliness). The hotel is attached to a small mall that has coffee shops, restaurants, a pharmacy, some shops, and a movie theater. The mall is cozy and also has a great ambiance. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It has a warm inviting atmosphere that makes you never want to leave!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank halacontemp
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Booked this hotel right after the revolution because they offered a discounted rate on their website. Besides, I thought I could get my areoplan miles on top of it. Two months after I returned from the vacation but there was still no areoplan on my statement. I contacted the Fairmont office in Canada, they said "Your stay was not eligible for miles since it was booked at the discounted Great Rates Great Dates." It was not mentioned on their website when I reserved my room. I felt cheated!!
I probably won't choose Fairmont just because of this reason.
Back to the hotel, the room was nice and clean. Front desk was helpful. The hotel was not downtown and there wasn't much around the hotel to do. If you like to go to the center of town, you have to take a taxi.
David.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David W S S
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Having visited Egypt and The Fairmont Cairo-Nile City, several times now I am still amazed at how the whole Nile City Team from the Bellman & Security team to the Management team have 'never' failed to impress both my wife and I and ensured that each time we stay at the hotel our stay is more enjoyable than the next ! (My wife and I had our wedding at this hotel 6 months earlier and all guests including our families were ‘blown away ‘by the truly magical night which was not possible without the amazing Nile City Team)
The Nile City team truly makes a guest feel like they are staying in a home away from home and treat their loyal guests like family ensuring that all requests are at your finger tips with a truly genuine touch!
To top this, the property is amazingly designed and located right on the Nile River which gives you the feeling of both a modern and stylish hotel and at the same time gives you a taste of Ancient Egypt at your door step.
At the moment due to the 'conditions' in Egypt’s revolution (although the country is still very safe in general) the hotel is unbelievable value for money and definitely a perfect time to experience historic Egypt while returning to a luxurious hotel at a great value price.
Truly a hotel not to miss !!!

Mouhamad

Room Tip: Request for a room with a Nile River View !
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

All in all this is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at! Everyone went out of there way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Even to the point the hotel manger took us out to a lovely traditional Sheesha bar. I have stayed in some very nice hotels all over the world but never experienced such great service and hospitality.

HOTEL TRANSFER
I would recommend to get the hotel transfer from the airport as its about the same price and you dont have hang about getting a taxi.

ROOMS
The rooms were very clean and the bedding was the softest cotton I had ever felt! They were cleaned every day and the cleaners arranged all our clothes, shoes & makeup in neat little rows, tidied and put our electronics in one little corner. How cute!

POOL
The hotel has a lovely roof top pool set on the 20th floor. You can see the most amazing views of Cairo and the best sunset. During the day the hotel staff would come around with fruit and cold drinks which you can help yourself to. All staff are very helpful and attentive. There is also a restaurant/cafe which does sheesha till 11pm and once a week has a live bands. The food is very good and if you dont want to order off the cafe menu they will happily let you order off the menu of any of the restaurants and bring the food to you.

SPA & GYM
I used the gym everyday I was there. Equipment is modern and they have both free weights and machine.

I would highly recommend getting the full body massage! The spa was very relaxing and the staff make every effort to ensure you are comfortable through out your treatment.

RESTAURANT
There are 5 restaurants in the hotel, each offering different cuisines. We had dinner a couple a nights in the hotel and the food was nice. I would recommend the fairmont special burger - yummy!

If you are going to Cairo I would recommend you stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 15th floor to get the best views of Cairo
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family