“very good, but the Spa and health club not opened yet”

Fairmont Cairo, Nile City
Ranked #6 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We really liked Fairmont Nile City hotel. The only serious problem I found is that the SPA and the Health club is still not opened. When I book the hotel 6 month ago I did not know that they would not open. When I book the hotel web site stated March 2010 for opening. And the spa is maybe still few months away from opening. So at the moment the temporary gym is in some normal room in one of the top floors but is useless. Anyway the hotel was opened in November 2009 and there are too many months without such a services.

We stayed at the Signature room (about 55-60 sq. meters) with Nile view balcony, very large bathroom for 3 nights in the middle of August and one night in July. It is a very nice hotel with beautiful new rooms, excellent service and good food. The breakfast buffet is good, very good mango, strawberry and orange fresh fruit juices. Variety of coffees available, inc. excellent Turkish coffee.

The rooftop pool area is nice, however not as good as the pool area of Four Seasons Nile Plaza. The pool is clean, the service is prompt. The front view of Nile is good, but note the back of the hotel the view is terrible - there are only slums – I think they are cleaning it and will be construction site for the owners of the hotel, but now the view is not so nice.

The best in the hotel is THEIR BEDS– FANTASTIC the quality of the mattresses and the Egyptian cotton bed sheets are to die for!

There was one very smart thing I learned from tripadvisor and that was to join the Fairmont presidents club before arriving at the hotel and you get the Wi-Fi internet is free! Otherwise the charge is very high 160 Egyptian ponds for 24 hours. Top tip! The internet connection speed however is really fast.

Some of the hotel services are really overpriced, likesome transportation services and tour guides. Be smart and organize alternatives. For the first trip to Cairo I booked hotel limousine service with Mercedes E-class for $90 one way IT IS NOT WORTH IT. There are official taxis in the Airport – Cairo Airport Company you can travel safe and on fixed price for $35. Also the hotel makes transfers with Mitsubishi Lancer for $35 and that is good – this is what we did later.

Special advice – when in Fairmont or in Cairo, do visit the Sequoia restaurant just in front of the hotel in the Zamalek island – brilliant food, the BEST SHISHA IN EGYPT, they do amazing mixes. The shisha service is amazing, they change the charcoal every 5 minutes. We loved that place: is trendy, is breezy at night, is elegant – you feel there like in Milano, not like in Cairo. I believe many of the rich and famous locals from Cairo go there. Highly recommended.

For our stopover visit in Cairo I was looking at only Four Seasons Nile plaza and Fairmont Nile City. There was even topic in tripadvisor which is better. I spent a day in Four Seasons, dined there, and for me there is no doubt that Four Seasons is higher class than Fairmont. The quality of the building materials is almost the same for both hotels; but the service in Four Seasons is better; the pool area with 5 pools is much, much bigger and nicer, the Spa and fitness spotless.

The only plus for Fairmont is that at the time of booking the room price was half of the Four Seasons prices, but if I knew that the Spa and Gym would not be opened, I would be in Four Seasons, but we had a prepaid rate, so I could not move.

Even that the Fairmont is newer – outside is already becoming a bit dirty, which is the problem for all the buildings in Cairo, I think because of the smog in this famously dirty city, but the the Four Seasons are smarter -their property is covered outside entirely by grey granite and is looking better and will not look bad in time. For the Fairmont it is not valid as the hotel is painted outside and the stains are visible, no matter that the hotel opened less than year ago.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ivo_k
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Cairo, Nile City

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Fancy hotel, with amazing service. You are treated like a king, literally. The service was so good, it was creepy...sometimes I just wanted to be left alone and not be asked if I wanted help or needed anything, or have personalized messages with my name, etc...it's like they were watching me.

Room was best I stayed in ever. Washroom was superb. Bed was super comfortable. View of the Nile was so-so in our initial room, but upon our request we were moved to a room with a much better view. It took a while however for the hotel to accomodate our request and by the end of it I'm not sure if the nile view was worth the extra $$, there are better views in other hotels.

Food was super expensive compared to the price of food elsewhere in Cairo. However, if you do the $ conversion, the prices were comparable to what you'd pay for food in the USA.

Sky Lounge was AMAZING. Swimming pool on the roof of the hotel overlooking Cairo was great, during the day and night. The lounge is open 24 hours I believe.

Being a Muslim however, I felt that this hotel catered more towards non-Muslim Westerners who wanted to live in a mini USA amidst the Islamic streets of Cairo. There's alcohol in the rooms, the sky lounge was turned into a club at night, scantily clad women, etc..

The hotel is also a minefield of overpriced services, whether it is food, room service, or tour guides. I guess that's expected from a five star hotel though.

The hotel was close to a Arcadia mall which was convenient for cheaper food options.

Security is pretty tight in the hotel, bomb sniffing dogs, metal detectors, and secret service-like guards. So you definitely feel safe here.

Overall, this is an ultra luxurious hotel and a mint place to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank badpanorama
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Best rooms we have ever stayed in. Amazingly soft bed and bathroom is fantastic! Room top pool is a great place to relax and drink cocktails whilst watching the sunset

Reviewed 6 August 2010

ok the guys already mentioned how this place is great to stay.. i stiaed there for 5 nights and here is my tips for you:
1- Nile city owner is the same of "mobinile..mobile company" that is mean use only mobinile sim ... the other operators are weak signal.

2-Close to the hotel, there is a lounge called "tamaraya". the best place to enjoye the world class of music and food ... 7 star place

3-the concierge @ hotel was too helpful, ask for chrestiene, she toke my mobile number in order to remind me about my booking and my reservations! is this somthing great ... all of thm are great

4-dont go for the lemousine there. the new taxi in cairo are quit good and not much expensive

5- close ot the hotel, there are good cinma theater, caspar and gambenies and star bucks, that is mean, the location is one of the kind and my final tip

6-The nile viwe. most of the 5 star hotel in cairo assure the you can see the nile viwe from your room (with extra worth price). the super talent and great of firmount, is that you can see the nile while you are on bed, AND even if you take shower!! WOOOW i love this idea

see my personal picture @ hotel

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aido4ever
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I got violently sick from a meal in this hotel. I found the service to be ok but a little mean spirited. There is no gym, just a guest room with a running machine and cycles. Internet access is priced at a premium level, $30 / day, but service is poor. The rooms can be noisy - every time next door made a phone call or turned on their TV I could hear it. The bathroom floor in my room was dirty. They don't have a money changing facility.

This was my first stay at this hotel, I usually stay at the Conrad just down the road. I certainly won't be staying at this hotel again and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Carden2
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My family and I stayed at the Fairmont Nile City for 2 nights. The hotel is extremely safe and secure, which was important to us. The lobby is huge and impressive, but more impressive was the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. Check in was quick and we were escorted to our suite. We had a fantastic view of the Nile, a very cushy bed, and a crib was already set up in the room along with a tray of things for our son- baby powder, baby oil, small toys, etc. It was a great touch. There were a couple of things wrong with the room- the safe didn't work, one of the remote controls had no batteries, and the movie channels had no volume. Engineering was in our room within 2 minutes and had all the problems resolved in less than 10 minutes. There were no other problems.
The Concierge Desk helped us with tours and guides. They were always smiling. Come to think of it, everyone was always smiling, and asking how we were, and stopped to play with our son. The Napa Grill restaurant had a great buffet with a good mix of Egyptian and more continental items to choose from. We never made it to the other restaurant (Vietnamese) because it was a little more formal and we had the baby. The lobby bar had a piano player and singer each night we were there.
The hotel is located right next to a shopping mall that also had a few restaurants and cafes a movie theater, and a great juice bar. We will happily stay here again if we return to Cairo.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2010

In few words... stayed for 6 nights.... not a single mistake... best quality in everything... Highly recommended

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business