“Fairmont rules the nile” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Cairo, Nile City

Fairmont Cairo, Nile City
Ranked #7 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Carlisle, ON
“Fairmont rules the nile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

Let me start by saying that I am Canadian and so is Fairmont (not the hotel, but the chain). For some reason, I have always admired their properties at home but avoided them internationally. No more! This hotel was a luxurious sanctuary in the wild, scary, overpopulated, remarkable, breathtaking, crazy driving, rich, poor, intriguing and gut wrenching city of Cairo.

My wife and stayed here on the last night of our 36 hour detour from Israel to Egypt this past weekend. The first night was at the Mena House in Giza (which I have reviewed separately).

Service was extremely good. We stayed at a Fairmont Gold Signature King room. It was spacious and absolutely stunning. The bed was great. Most importantly, we had a beautiful balcony (where we could actually sit in deep lounge chairs) overlooking the nile. These are rare in Cairo, so I highly encourage people to look into this room category.

The bottom line...if you live in North America and are in Cairo on business, then either the Fairmont Nile City or the Four Seasons at Nile Plaza are your best bets. If you live in North America and are in Cairo for pleasure (especially with a significant other) then the Fairmont Nile City is the must stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SteveKCarlisle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

This was our first trip to Egypt and frankly I was excited but also worried. We are so used to the U.S. standard of service and hospitality that I was sure there was no way that people could match up to that standard......boy was I wrong......
Fairmont at Nile City was just SPECTACULAR. The staff was always pleasant,extremely helpful and professional. I loved the fact that most everyone spoke English.
The hotel was spotless, the fresh flowers were beautiful, the music at night in the lobby lounge was fantastic, and the bathrooms were extremely clean. Everywhere we walked there were staff who asked if they could help us....and they meant it.
We had a room that had a balcony with the Nile view, again SPECTACULAR.
The bath was a new concept...there was a window from bath into the room so you could actually view the Nile if you wanted to....a glass of wine and the view of Nile while you are bathing....who would have thought.
We dined at Fairmont's Napa Grill...the food was out of this world.... interestingly enough we got a visit from the Chef. We found out that he actually was from Napa. That night I noticed that the Chef came out to a few tables and personally asked how their food was was... I love that kind of detail and care. Ohhhh when I left my purse on the floor at the restaurants the staff ran and brought a special nice stool to put my purse on...wow I thought....what attention to detail!
After all that fine dining and wine ....I had to visit the gym....
The gym had numerous stair masters, cross trainers and treadmills facing the Nile, it had free weights and a big room for Pilates and personal training. Although I didn't get the personal trainer I did meet her.
Overall, when we go back to Egypt (and this time I will only be excited and not worried) ... I will only stay at Fairmont Nile City. I am looking forward to another spectacular return....
Thank you Fairmont and staff for making our stay remarkable and unforgettable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

My wife & I, along with 2 young daughters, just visited Cairo for 6 days & stayed at the new Nile City Fairmont. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels & this one ranks up there with the best hotels we have ever visited. The staff is overly courteous & helpful. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite with a view of the Nile. This room was very spacious & luxuriously appointed with marble floors, walk in showers, & tasteful decor.
We dined at both the Napa Grill & Saigon Bleu restaurants. We enjoyed meeting with chef Matthew who's steak preparation rivaled the best steakhouses in the US. Chef Mai's Vietnamese dishes brought out plenty of flavors that reminded me of my travels to Vietnam.
Although we have 2 small children, we enjoyed the lobby lounge which had nightly live music performances.
Overall, this is an outstanding hotel & I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Cairo. It is definitely 1 Jewel of the Nile you would not want to miss!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

This is a hotel that lives up to its star rating and goes well passed it this was just great we spent our last night in Egypt at this hotel and feel human again the suite we had was just to die for the services was out of this world room services was quick and very well manered we were happy to tip these staff members and would tell everbody if in Egypt stay here just lovely.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Allen M
Torrance, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

it is truly a 5 star hotel. We got lucky and were upgraded from a partial Nile view to a full suite - and it was truly amazing! The only downside to the hotel is the $30USD buffet breakfast - that's way too expensive to eat a serving of ful (which was really tasty, like a American/Mexican burrito, but is much heavier once it hits your stomach). There is a local mall next door (Arcadia) which had an OK cafe and lots of American fast food (KFC, Hardee's/Carl's Jr, McDonalds).

It was interesting to see a metal detector and x-ray machine in the lobby - didn't realize that all hotels that we visited in Egypt have this security.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank orbops
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

Unfinished and not fit-for-purpose.
My reservation was transferred to this hotel at the last minute because of a glitch with the original booking at another hotel. It proved to be a very annoying glitch.
The Fairmont is disappointing indeed.
I was there for a week for a series of meetings.
The overall impression is that the hotel is unfinished and not yet ready to receive guests - though it has been open nearly a year.
It is located in an area of Cairo that is about to be redeveloped - so the view is of crumbling buildings and a masonry site.
The telephone is my room did not work properly - the staff member who looked at it told me "just don't use those buttons".
The internet in my room didn't work at all, though the IT man told me there was a good signal if I stood in the entrance by the wardrobe - very practical!
I transferred to another room, with an internet connection. This room also had a vast desk and shelving unit which was great for work - except there were no electricity sockets within reach. So there was no power source for laptop, blackberry or any other equipment that is a basic requirement for any business traveller.
This room also boasted the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. But no bath.
The television, with some 50 channels, had no English language news service after an overnight retune that also meant there was no tv at all for 8 hours one morning - needless to say, no warning had been provided.
Room service food was poor - tough chicken and over cooked rice. It wasn't a one off as I used the service several times.
On check in I was told the swimming pool would be open 2 days later. One glance at it would tell you it wouldn't be ready for nearer 2 months.
Needless to say, a week later it wasn't open and my plans for a few hours relaxation before flying home were kicked into touch.
The gym facilities were nothing short of a disgrace. The main fitness area is still being prepared, eleven months after
opening. In the meantime, the temporary facility consists of 2 exercise bikes and 1 treadmill in a bedroom. There are no free weights or other workout equipment. In such a big hotel, with so many business travellers for whom fitness is essential, this is simply unacceptable. What's more, water supplies were not always replenished.
The waiting staff in the breakfast area were, I'm afraid, useless. They stood around but failed to anything practical. Virtually every day I had to ask for tea, coffee or milk - just the most basic parts of breakfast. Not once was I offered a menu - I only knew one existed because a colleague chanced upon one.
In the conference area a technician caused major problems with my laptop that took the hotel IT manager more than 30 minutes to resolve. Coming just before a major presentation to some incredibly important clients, this was a heart-in-mouth moment I really did not need.
The one upside is that the reception, room service, housekeeping and Saigon bleu restaurant staff were great – very friendly and hospitable. Shame they have to work in a place with such shoddy standards.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rob007London
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Choosing Fairmont Nile City as my choice of stay in Cairo is the best choice I've made.

We arrived at the hotel on the 13th of September 7 plus am after a long 13 hours flight. Even though standard check-in time is 2pm, the staff at the front desk arranged for us to be checked-in at 8 plus. Which we really appreciate. We also got a free upgrade to a partial nile view.

The room feels new and very clean. There are a number of good movie channels. The bed, duvet and pillows are very fluffy and comfortable. I had the best sleep for a long time after a long day sight-seeing. The yellow lighting creates a cosy feeling. The bathroom has a big bathtub. The toiletries are of good quality (finally, shampoo and shower gel provided by the hotel that is not drying and conditioner provided by the hotel that really softens hair)

The security at the hotel made us feel really safe within the hotel compound. The staff made sure that we get meter taxi every time and would convey to the driver our destination in the case when the driver is not well verse in English. They also took down the car plate number of the taxi for our security.

On the 14th September, we had a long day out and had a night train to catch on the same night. The hotel extended our check-out time so that we could bathe, get changed and pack in comfort till it is time for our train. I have Amr from the front desk to thank for this. If not, I cannot imagine hanging out at the station for a few hours and taking the overnight train feeling dusty and dirty.

When we came back to Cairo on the 22nd, we felt so welcomed back as some of the staff remembered us. Such is the beauty of the service at Fairmont Nile City as their service is so personalised and made us feel so special.

Every single member of the staff were so friendly, polite and attentive. They seemed happy and took pride in their job. Everyone is very good at their respective post. They also carried themselves very well and are very well-groomed. Concierges were incredible as they seem to know the answer to everything we asked and we did ask a lot of questions. They even called a museum we were interested in to find out if it was closed, so that we would not have to make a wasted trip. All these on their own initiatives. We are also impressed with the staff arranging the transport for us at the hotel entrance, the staffs who brought us our in-room dining, the front desk and the concierges (have I mentioned them already?)

Everyday after we return from our day trip, we'll always find ice-cubes in the room (You'll appreciate that if you are in Egypt). There will also be a card informing us of the weather for he next day and slippers laid out at the bedside.

It is of close proximity to the downtown area of the Egyptian Museum and only cost £E13 to get to Giza train station by meter taxi.

The only regret was that the sky pool was not ready during my stay (they offer to take us to the pool at Conrad down the road anytime) and hotels in Egypt do not seem to provide toothbrushes.

All in all, I had a wonderful and memorable stay at the Fairmont Nile City.

Thanks guys for the 6 star treatment!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple