“Clean, friendly, safe, good location”
Review of Havana Hotel

Havana Hotel
Ranked #46 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Vancouver, Canada
“Clean, friendly, safe, good location”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Staff here were super friendly, helping us with dinner reservations, calling cabs, breaking large bills, and the free airport pickup.

The room was large with AC, TV and a clean bathroom. No issues with hot water and the breakfast was really decent. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
England
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I chose this hotel for my first night in Cairo because they offered a free airport pick up service and I didn´t want to deal with taxi hassle. There was a man waiting for me when I entered arrivals. he spoke great English and was very chatty, pointing out all the sights of the city as we drove past them. The room was large and clean with functioning A.C. The bathroom was fairly average and a bit gloomy but for the price I wasn´t expecting luxury. I didn´t find it very noisy from the street at night although I couldn´t sleep because the A.C made the room very cold and it was quite loud. Breakfast wasn´t particularly pleasant, the bread was solid but the yoghurt was fairly standard.
Location wise, I think you can do a lot better. It´s in Mohandiseen which, while being a nice area, isn´t a particularly interesting or vibrant one and in future i would probably choose somewhere Down Town or in Zamalek. For the price though it´s a good middle of the range option.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Durham
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel on two seperate occassions on our trip.

The first time was for one night only after arriving into Cairo, we stayed in one of the slightly smaller rooms in the hotel at this point. The room was basic but very clean and we had a comfortable night's sleep.

The second time we stayed we were there for 3 nights and had one of the slightly larger rooms overlooking Syria Street, where we were entertained by the hustle and bustle outside. Again, this room was basic but spotless.

The staff at the hotel were very pleasant and extremely helpful.

There is not a great deal of ameneties in the hotel which is the norm. in hotels of this star rating. However, the bar was well stocked with Egyptian Stella and prices were very reasonable, room service was excellent with some very tasty food and breakfast was the usual beffet style with choices such as foul, chicken or beef sausages, eggs etc.

Internet is also available at a small charge.

I would recommend this hotel for a Cairo stop off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out onto Syria Street (they are slightly larger).
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mapsuita
Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed in the Havana Hotel back in October 2010 but never got around to reviewing it until now.

I enjoyed my stay. The staff (especially the cleaners!) are really lovely and helpful. They carried my heavy bags up the stairs for me and showed me how to use the airconditioner, TV etc. There is a metal detector on the door and I felt very safe their as an 18yo girl travelling alone.

The fridge had lots of reasonably priced snacks - do yourself a favour and eat a few of the $1 AUD chocolate bars! The aircon even in the stifling Cairo heat was really effective, I was almost chilly at times. The room was very clean, TV was quite large and worked well etc. I was upgraded to a family room (no idea why as I was traveling alone) and it was huge. It was noisy but so is everywhere in Cairo!

The location is good, easy walking distance to a pharmacy, grocery store and snack shop. But please BE WARNED, Cairo traffic is INSANE and though it is only 15km from the airport it took me OVER TWO HOURS to get there. I was literally 30 seconds from missing my plane and I'm one of those people who usually leaves hours at airports! Please book way, way more time then you think you need because the traffic is unbelievable and the taxis are unreliable in what time they come to pick you up.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank georgie2810
Watford
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We travelled with 3 children aged 11, 8 and 6. The staff were welcoming and made us feel at ease. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the service was attentive. It was nice having an informal area to sit and relax in the evening in the bar area next to the hotel. The district itself is really interesting with the Syrian restaurant our favourite up the road as well as the ice-cream shop and baclava shop afew doors away. The staff can assist in organising tours and has a link in supporting a local sudanese school in Cairo.
Would def recommend this hotel to others, great service, very clean and well maintained and an interesting area of its own to explore which is less touristy.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights recommended by our tour guide Ayman Ahmed. We were lucky that we choose Havana as I am really satisfied with the services provided. It's a nice hotel if you are looking for a 'bed-breakfast' kind of thing.

The hotel provides free pickup from the airport whis is really great if it's your first time to Cairo. Unfortunately for us, we changed our flights(took evening instead of morning flight) on the day we suppose to fly off and there was missed communication between me and the hotel on the arrival time. They did send someone to pick us up, but we are still in our flights. Apologize to whoever waited one hour for us at the airport. When we arrived, there are so many taxi/limo drivers will approach you and to me this is kind of scary. Some followed us from toilet-money changer-duty free shop! We called the hotel manager, OSAMA, and he helped us by providing very clear instruction on what to do(i.e how much the fare .etc) and all will be paid by the hotel. So we took a limo driver and agreed to only pay EGP100.

Once arrived we were greeted by Osama himself and the frontdesk staff, Muhammad. Very welcoming! And I think MUHAMMAD is just awesome. He made us feel at home!! He was exxtremely helpful, very nice guy and always with a big smile. Big or small problems, just go to him and he will sort it out for you. Hope to see you again one day.

The location is really great. It's in the upper-middle class area where you can get taxi easily. ATMs are just a few blocks away, money changer just next door to the right, groceries store is just a few blocks to the right, a few pastries shops for night snacks. There is a shawarma restaurant just across the road and a nice restaurant that serves beriyani/kebab/egyptian food 2 minutes away from the hotel. Location is fine and the two of us ladies felt safe when walking at night. The hotel itself have a restaurant/bar if you're too lazy to walk out and you can also try out shisha there. We tried the pasta and the portion is big :)

The room is big and clean. The bathroom to me is huge!! LOL. There's a small fridge, tv with english channels, free wifi in all rooms which makes everything even nicer.
Breakfast buffet starts from 7am-10am which serves breads/pastries, a few types of cheese, yogurts, boiled egg, coffee and tea. To me this is really good for a budget traveller. There was one day that we need to start our tour earlier at 6.30am and MUHAMMAD organized a breakfast box for us. How nice! One thing if they can improve is maybe they can give plastic spoon or knive as spreading butter and eatingyogurt with hand is a little bit difficult ;)

We purposely didnt hire a guide on our lastday as we thought of doing a self tour in the city might be a good idea to blend in, just to try out. A day before, we shared our plan with MUHAMMAD and he informed us that the hotel provides tour guide with various options to fit customer needs. He didnt push or persuade us for this, we gave a bit of our thoughts(our existing guide is already booked, so cant use him) and yeah ok we agreed! We took city tour to the Tahrir square(its historical place if you asked me, its where the revolution starts and end :)), Egyptian Museum, Citadel, Kham el-Khalili, and visits to 2 other mosques plus a Nile river cruise dinner. It was a pack day. We had MARCO as our guide and this guys is awesome! Our previous guide is very professional, experienced and speaks flawless english, really no complaint on him but i felt fortunate to get to meet MARCO as well. If you paln to hire a tour guide from this hotel, please insist on having him. We felt like walking with our buddy/brother. I've read previous reviews of this hotel and saw one statisfied customer with Marco. I understand why he/she favor him haha. I felt we were rushing when in the museum, as we have lots of other places we wanted to go. Shopping with him is highly recommended - really its like shopping with your besties. We were out of egyption pound(we only have USD left) while shoping in the market and he kindly lend his EGP300 money and paid for us. Of course we paid back as soon as we get back to the hotel. The last part of the day was Nile cruise buffet dinner. Food is nothing to shout about(restaurant nearby hotel had better food) and there were 3 performances - belly dancing, tanoora show and live band. From rate 1 to 10, 4 is the best I can give. Try to do something else other than going on this cruise :)

Overall, I truly recommend this hotel if you are looking for cheap and awesome services. I had a good stay there, make friends and had lots of fun in Cairo. I'll definately come back to this hotel if I'm coming back in future. Thanks Osama, Muhammad and Marco and the rest who I dont know your name.

Regards,
Jamilah

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jameelo
London
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Very large rooms, nice and clean.
Don't be put off by the location - is in an upper-middle class district with some great eats around. Furthermore, getting a taxi to the sites is easy and cheap (unlike most large cities, the road network seems to actually work!)
They also can arange tailor made tours. Breakfast not bad. Shesha bar next door.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple