“A reasonable hotel apart from the breakfasts which were a total disappointment”
Review of Havana Hotel

Havana Hotel
Ranked #51 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for a night at the start and one at the end of our holiday. On both occasions we thought the venue to be OK but the breakfasts were a real let down. The location is reasonable, just off one of one of Cairo’s main roads (Arab League Street) where there are plenty of places to eat and a metro supermarket is a short walk from the door. Wireless internet was provided for free and there was a computer room which charged for use by the hour.

The Havana Hotel has a reasonable lobby area and incorporates an Egyptian cafe next door. The two rooms we stayed in were spacious with en suite shower rooms but everything felt a little scruffy. The big problem was the breakfast, which was minimal and provided in a windowless gloomy room in the basement. I suspected that staff were supposed to greet us and offer coffee/tea, omelettes, toast, etc but this did not happen. The two women staff I saw at breakfast seemed only interested in chatting between themselves while doing their best to ignore us. A large TV was turned up annoyingly loud playing Arabic dubbed American soaps which I switched off each morning with immediate approval from other guests.

The hotel is OK if you get a good deal on the price, but if you want a good breakfast you should go elsewhere. My further tip would be to avoid rooms near the stairwell as sound carries from the lobby and may disturb your sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the stairwell as sound carries from the lobby and may disturb your sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
osama_azmi, General Manager at Havana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Dear Sir,

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you may have experienced. At Havana Hotel Cairo, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. But we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again by adding new items to the breakfast

If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us at feedback@havanahotelcairo.com.

There are newer reviews for Havana Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I spent 8 days at havana Hotel in the begining of january 2012 and I found it a tipical 3 stars with a good price. It is located in a middle-class neighborhood with some restaurants and a lot of shops and not so far from the city center. The staff was friendly and english-speaking and they have european and american tv channels like BBC. They took me at the airport without cost and when I left it have cost only 75 egyptian pounds.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a amazing couple days in Egypt with the help with the Havana Hotel staff. They were waiting at the airport for us even though our plane got delayed and came in late. There driver was crazy but I guess you can say that about all drivers in Egypt. They checked us in and got us a driver and guide for the next 2 days. We were able to see everything we wanted in those 2 days thanks to the staff and guides. The guide on the first day bribed a security guard at Great Pyramid so we would get in. They only sell 100 tickets a day and he somehow convinced him to let us in. Tip in Egypt always have money for both tips and bribes it will get you very far. The hotel was nothing fancy but clean and we felt safe. Overall we would stay here again and recomend to anybody travelling to Egypt.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KauaiTraveler67
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The Clean, friendly, safe, and good location in Syria street. One of the very nice and quit hotel in Cairo ,Mohandseen. Price is 270 L.E

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RihabMysaraHassan
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Decided to try the Havana in Cairo after reviewing a few hotels and having seen it on another trip to Cairo. I was going on a 6 day house shopping trip and knew I would be out of the hotel all day and only needed the sleeping and shower facilities. The hotel rang me about an hour after I had booked it online and confirmed the booking and informed me they would send a car to the airport to collect me, even though I arrived at 7.00am. Nice gesture and particularly welcoming as I had been up since 3.00am, the driver was great and after a few pleasantries, left me to look at the sights. Room was dated and a bit dark, the furniture definately needs updating and the lighting in the room (209) was very harsh on my eyes, however I do have a problem with bright lights. I opened the curtains and shut them again and kept them closed during my stay as the only view is the concrete of the building next door (not the hotel's fault) as my room was side view. so no point in keeping them open. I went for breakfast the next morning and to be honest, never went back. Very limited choice and the food was quite cold, which I hate. The chef however will cook you any type of eggs and there is bread, coissant and some cereals but the buffet doesn't look very appetising and again the restaurant is very dark and with harsh spotlights.
That's the negative, the good is:
All the staff are very helpful, friendly and speak good english so no communication problems. They go out of their way to greet you and the service is fast and attentive. I ordered pasta in my room one night and it arrived quickly and was very tasty, nice creamy sauce and at about 25 LE, very good value.
Reception staff are excellent, will respond quickly to any requests and always have a smile, this is unusual for reception staff in my experience.
Security, bell boys, cleaning staff are polite and happy and don't expect tips constantly.
Housekeeping manager was lovely, she is so friendly and will respond to any request, they do aim to make your stay comfortable.
Overall, I had a good stay and would recommend the hotel if you are looking for a clean and friendly hotel. Don't expect too much and you will be happy.
I didnt want to book any trips as I was there to shop, so cant give any feedback on this, however even though the hotel could do with a revamp, the cleanliness is good. The towels and sheets are changed every day and you dont get this, even in a five star. The rest of the hotel is also kept very clean and they do their best.
If they updated the rooms and painted the rooms and restaurant in a lighter colour and improved the lighting..............this would be a good hotel to stay in as it is central and Mohandessein has some excellent shopping and restaurants. I would definately stay again and recommend it if you want clean rooms and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room if you like light as the hotel is narrow and most rooms are at each side...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Staff here were super friendly, helping us with dinner reservations, calling cabs, breaking large bills, and the free airport pickup.

The room was large with AC, TV and a clean bathroom. No issues with hot water and the breakfast was really decent. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I chose this hotel for my first night in Cairo because they offered a free airport pick up service and I didn´t want to deal with taxi hassle. There was a man waiting for me when I entered arrivals. he spoke great English and was very chatty, pointing out all the sights of the city as we drove past them. The room was large and clean with functioning A.C. The bathroom was fairly average and a bit gloomy but for the price I wasn´t expecting luxury. I didn´t find it very noisy from the street at night although I couldn´t sleep because the A.C made the room very cold and it was quite loud. Breakfast wasn´t particularly pleasant, the bread was solid but the yoghurt was fairly standard.
Location wise, I think you can do a lot better. It´s in Mohandiseen which, while being a nice area, isn´t a particularly interesting or vibrant one and in future i would probably choose somewhere Down Town or in Zamalek. For the price though it´s a good middle of the range option.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo