“Wonderful Experience”
Review of Havana Hotel

Havana Hotel
Ranked #53 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 20 October 2010

The Hotel was very nice and cozy. The people there very friendly and helpful and they speak English !!

Room always clean. Toilet facilities good. Hot water round the clock. A/C available.

I really enjoyed my stay there. If ever I go to Cairo...I will definitely stay there.
Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 September 2010

My company sent me to Tel Aviv on business, and I felt if I was here in the Middle East anyway, I had to visit Egypt. As a woman alone, I was concerned as to how I would fare. Through Trip Advisor (and recognizing the name of a guide already known to a friend) I picked the Havana Hotel. It is on the Giza side of the Nile, so across the river from the downtown core, but as cabs are inexpensive, that doesn't matter so much. It is unlikely that as newcomers you would be doing much wandering on the streets alone anyway.

The hotel facilites themselves are just adequate, but okay.. Make sure to ask for a room in the back, as otherwise you hear all the noise from the traffic. Breakfast is passable (though how I wish hotels, etc. would stop serving Instant Coffee everywhere!), but a TV is always on there with loud music/commercials playing, so one does not tend to linger. Don't bother eating dinner there - go to one of the larger hotels for that.

What was truly outstanding for me - as a single woman - were the people the hotel use for transportation and for tours. The hotels driver pick you up from the airport for free, just call to make the arrangement. Bassem was my driver and while I was here I saw quite a bit of him: he was very reliable AND a good source of information about Cairo and Egypt. The hotel also offers a number of packages - in retrospect, I'd avoid the Light Show at the Pyramids, and the dinner cruise, but the tour of the Pyramids and Saqqara, as lead by Michel, was excellent. Michel was also a font of information about all things Egyptian.

If you ARE a woman travelling alone, keep in mind that walking on the street by yourself is problematic. Very few Egyptian women seem to be on the street, it is almost all men, and even if you are 'modestly attired', you will stand out as a non-Egyptian. This is why I was so pleased with the quality of people provided by the Havana.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Gizella10
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Stayed at the Havana for four nights with family. Location was excellent with safe streets and local shops, ATMs and good restaurants within easy walking. Quieter and cheaper than downtown Cairo. Rooms clean if basic but everything essential is provided (en suite, TV, free WiFi). Oddly, spoons at breakfast seem to be at a premium - but provided if you ask! Good range of tours arranged (very good guide plus driver) and although more expensive than doing it yourself it was well worth the extra for the convenience and protection from the inevitable Egyptian scams! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2010

It was rated 3 stars when we were choosing hotels, but it's definitely worth more than it looks.

Location: Next to a HSBC ATM and a supermarket - which is essential to get cheap water and snacks in Cairo; 5mins walk from an excellent Egyptian restaurant " Abu Alma ElSoury" and some western fastfood shops.

Staff: friendly and helpful. The advice about places to go, taxi fares etc are very genuine. They are always ready to meet your need - our flight to Aswan was very late at night, far passed the checkout time and we had nowhere to go. The receptionist kindly allowed us to stay in a free room FREE OF CHARGE so that we could rest :)

The Hotel: rooms were not as luxury and new as other 5stars, but they are clean and tidy. We felt safe and comfortable staying in this hotel. Free internet access was an ace.

Food: breakfast on Sunday wasn't great, but freshly cooked eggs on other days was appreciable.

Tours: there are pyramids tour and old Cairo tour available at reasonable prices. Tour guides were friendly, spoke fluent English, and to high standard. They were happy to tailor the tours to our needs.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of a 12 day tour of Egypt. We were very pleased with this hotel. First of all, it is in a great location. We felt very safe walking around the streets on our own and shopping. There are a lot of stores and restaurants in the general area and there's even a supermarket within a 1 minute walk.
The hotel was very clean and the staff was helpful. We found the breakfast buffet to be standard for Egypt (toast, omelets, cereal, tea/coffee) and since we are not picky eaters we were satisfied!
Our room was no frills but very comfortable and we were able to get a very restful nights sleep. What we loved most about this hotel was it's great location! We recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I stayed at the Havana Hotel for one week and chose their Cairo, Luxor, Giza tour package. It was affordable and fun! The hotel is clean and the rooms are spacious and it is in a great location. The hotel staff is amazing! They go out of their way to make sure every guest is happy and comfortable. If you choose one of the tour packages, be sure to request Michael as your driver and Mikel as your tour guide! These two made the trip especially memorable! The only thing I must warn about is the train ride to Luxor...let's just say it is an experience you won't forget : ) *I would definitely stay at this hotel again*

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We had a great night staying at the Havana Hotel. George was very helpful booking us a tour with Shady (our excellent Tour Guide) to visit the Pyramids, Sphinx, Papyrus Museum and Perfume Factory. He also booked our overnight train to Aswan for us. The hotel is in a good location close to shops and nearby is a great Kebab/Shwarma place. The hotel was clean, the rooms a good size with comfortable beds. After being out for a full day sightseeing the hotel was happy for us to use a room to shower and George even escorted us to the overnight train to make sure we were seated and all sorted which was very much appreciated. The breakfast was good. We went for a three hour walk around the surrounding area and felt very safe and saw some great local sights. Wished we had booked another night - we really did enjoy our two days in Cairo!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family