“overpriced but clean and central”
Review of Osiris Hotel

Osiris Hotel
Ranked #32 of 144 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I'll put my hand up early and admit Osiris was my first experience in Egypt after exiting the taxi from the airport. We got fleeced here. We paid USD75/night and really its probably worth nearer USD40-50 max.... and then paid EGP430 each for a guided day trip across Giza, Saqqara and Dashur as arranged by Nabil (owner). No hard feelings, that's Egypt, but go in with your eyes open and never accept the first price. Rooms are clean and air-conditioned, but no frills. Breakfasts are simple but quite good. A highlight is the roof top area which has great views of cairo. Incidentally, I note other comments regarding availability of cold beer. This ended abruptly and without explanation (and no, we weren't loud or disruptive ). I'm sure there's worse out there but better options also. P.S. The lift is not for the faint-hearted or claustrophobic.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 October 2011

What else do you need? Clean, comfortable, well-located, great breakfast, nice people. And you can get a beer.
Yes, it's located in a scruffy old office block, but this is Africa. Once you get out of the creaky lift on the 12th floor you enter a simply decorated and furnished, but quiet and calm oasis well above the dusty and noisy streets. There is a terrace for the use of guests, overlooking the town, where breakfast is served by a respectful waiter. Better still there is rooftop patio with great views you could gaze at for hours.
The rooms are efficienly air conditioned, they are tidied and made up daily and the towels are also changed daily.
By all means go to a western chain hotel and pay ten times as much if that's your thing, but I don't think that's really experiencing Egypt. I recommend you stay here, and buy something nice for the kids with the money you'll save.

Room Tip: Choose between an en-suite at the back (quieter) or one overlooking the street (slightly noisy, but...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Mr_Allsop
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We arrived late in Cairo so just went straight to Osiris as recommended by the famous travel guide book. The hotel is on the top floor of a dodgy commercial building. Yet, the hotel is quite nice with some characters. Room was simple but also tasteful. Breakfast was ok. Staffs were helpful and attentive. Free wifi is good feature. Location is good And walking distance to many sights/restaurants.

Definitely not a luxury hotel but sufficient to be called decent.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 21 August 2011

For an agreed cost we arranged with the hotel to pick us up at the airport ,which after a long flight is a small price to pay for the convenience.When we arrived at the hotel ,a run down office block greeted us.First impression was, we've made a mistake booking this hotel.However once inside, the hotel being on the top floor with roof access ,we knew we had made the right choice.It is more of a boutique style, beautifully and tastefully decorated.We had a double room with an en-suite ( and a small balcony ) which was spotless and cleaned every day.The management were helpful in everyway , ie directions ,taxis ,train tickets and advice. And the set breakfast is adequate to start the day. Also they sell cold beer, a must after a day sightseeing in the heat and pollution.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mike01sydney
Reviewed 7 August 2011

While I didn't enjoy all my experiences in Cairo, I enjoyed staying at Osiris Hotel and it was always a relief to find my way back to it. The location is excellent, although for some reason not easy to find if you are not familiar with the area (I experienced southern hemisphere disorientation which did not help, but even some taxi drivers have difficulty finding Nubar Street). The hotel is spotless, rooms are comfortable, excellent breakfast (I don't know how another reviewer could call it spartan), management/staff very attentive and helpful and a great rooftop area to relax in and enjoy the extensive views. Nabil was always available for advice and a calming influence when I needed it. Nothing was too much trouble.
Negatives - the showers are rather basic, be prepared for the whole bathroom floor to get wet, but on the plus side the water was hot and plentiful. Cigarette smoke in the lounge area was a little annoying for a non smoker, but guests also have the use of the breakfast balcony area and rooftop to relax in, where this was not a problem. However these were minor inconveniences considering everything else offered by this hotel, and the reasonable tariff.
Overall an excellent little hotel, where I would be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Balcony room for a view. Back room for a good sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RobtP
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The hotel was great for the price. They arranged the car to get us at the airport which was very convenient. The place was very clean. The couple that own the place were very helpful. The terrace on the roof had great views of the Nile and downtown.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KA207
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed in the hotel for a few nights. The last day we were there my uncle's wallet was stolen, so we missed our nighttrain to Luxor. The owner of the hotel (Nabil) arranged other tickets for us so we were very grateful, but later on we discovered that he had lied about the price. That's the first thing. The second is, I forgot my camera in the hotel, so when I was in Luxor I called the owner, he said he had found the camera. (Luckily after Luxor we returned to Cairo to catch our plane) So because we didn't trust him anymore, we didn't ask him to call a chauffeur who had to bring it to the airport. We called a taxichauffeur ourselves, whom we had met in Caïro and who was very honest and kind. We asked him to pick up the camera and bring it to the airport. He agreed. Later he called us to say that Nabil didn't want to give him the camera. So we called Nabil himself and his wife said that they only wanted to give the camera back if we payed €25 (which is a lot in Egypt). If we didn't they wouldn't give clients to the friendly taxidriver anymore. So we payed 25 egyptian pounds.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
14  Thank moedertjetijd
hotelosiris, Manager at Osiris Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2011

I am Sophia and I was working in the Hotel Osiris last summer with Nabil and I remember well this customers (I am not his wife, she was in France last summer, but the manager). I am sorry that you have sutch a bad memory about your stay with us in the Hotel Osiris and I hope you understand our point of view after this explanations.
First I would like to make clear that your oncles wallet was not stollen in the Hotel but outside.
About the train tickets, we buy them from a travel agency in Cairo and we have to pay them a commission, so yes we sell them more expensive then if you buy them your self at the counter at the train station. In general we advise our customers in advance, that they will pay a commission, I am sorry if we did not make this point clear with you in advance.
For the camera, yes you forgot it on our roof top and we found it after 3 times searching under a carpet. The driver you mention, you met him through us, when we organized a day trip for you in Cairo. The 25 Egyptian Pounds you payed to him was his backshish. No driver of all Cairo would ever come to the airport for so little money. He is not the owner of the car he drives. We are working with his boss and we had to paye them the trip to the hotel for picking up the camera and the trip to the airport to bring you the camera a total of 160 Egyptian Pounds. So in all, we paid for bringing you the camera to the airport more then 20 Euro with the change from last summer. I remember also, that I tryed to make you understand on the phone, that you have to pass by us and not directly arrange the deal with the driver. If he makes any deal in the back of the owner of the car (his boss), he would loose his job. You may not understand this rules, but this is the way it goes in Egypt. I agree with you that the driver is a very nice man and I don't think it would be in your interest, that he get's any problems.
So once more I apologies for all this miss understanding and I wish you a nice rest of the summer Sophia