“Wonderful Stay in CAIRO”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Osiris Hotel

Osiris Hotel
Ranked #35 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Piemonte
“Wonderful Stay in CAIRO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

One of the best value for money Hotel I've ever been to: located in a quiet street in Bab-el-Louk quarter you can reach Midan Tahrir (downtown heart) in 10 minutes walk. Simply but very clean A/C rooms, good breakfast, wonderful terrace where you can relax and enjoy a 360° CAIRO view, friendly staff (Nabil can help you to organize whatever trip in Egypt).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

I stayed in this hotel for three days with my wife and daughter.

Over all Satisfation : All of us were immensely happy with the choice at the end of the stay. The rooms, the bedsheets and the towels were very clean.

Tours : We had been travelling independently in egypt for a fortnight and Cairo was the last leg. We had grown in confidence and therefore roamed around in Cairo on our own using the public transport (Half an egyptian pound for a trip to Pyramids plus a walk). The trips offered by Hotel Osiris were a bit expensive. Cairo is a place where one can get waylaid easily. We took bothways airport transfers through the hotel because we did not want any risk on the first and last day. We must have spent around 50 LE extra on the whole but I think it was a good choice.
Breakfast: We had requested extra slices of breads and extra tea on all days and got these. We also saw others also asking for extra coffee and getting it. There is a small store just opposite the American university which sells yoghurt, juice, wafers etc. for a very reasonable price ( few LEs). We used to buy some for a quick 'filler' inbetween breakfast and lunch.
Lift: The lift stopped in between the floors at the first instance. Eventhough I am from India, I got frightened. This lift did not have an emergency button. I pressed ground floor and it went down. The watchman then came along and saw us off on the top.
Staff: The staff is very good. We got good advise. The boy at the reception felt bad that I did not take the trip but I was not cold shouldered. As I said before in Cairo you are always at the 'edge of chaos'. No one can advise you exactly on public transport (except metro) or taxi. One night on our way back from Khan-el-khalili market in the night we found that most of the roads had become one way. It took 30 minutes for us to reach back. The taxi driver did not ask for extra money but we were a bit scared during the journey. The owner of the hotel seemed to be a jolly man and gave excellent advise on buying bed sheets. The lady gave us very good advice on conditions of busses and drivers in Cairo. Though I did not take her advise I can vouch that she was right.

Eating out : We ate at all the well publisised places close to the hotel in down town and Khan el khalili. No complaints.

Tipping: There is a box near the reception where you can put your tips. After reaching Norway I feel I should have left more in the box. The driver who picked us from the airport was a gentleman and I regret not tipping him. The driver who dropped us at the airport actually demanded a tip. I must say I was waiting to see if he would demand or not. I gave him a very paltry sum and he seemed pleased. I think he was also a gentleman.

Improvement Suggestions: (1) May be a news paper in the lobby. (2) The dinner is a full meal from soup to dessert and costs 55 LE which is quite reasonable. I suggest that owners must tell guests that alternatively they can also 'call' a meal (example from felfela) and take it in the terrace. It will be a good service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank s_v123_9
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

The best thing about Osiris was it's Roof terrace, you go up and have amazing views of Cairo and the Citadel. The staff were also really friendly and helpful and the whole hotel was extremely clean. It's also in a really good location about 10 mins walk from the metro and 15 from the Egyptian Museum.
I've knocked it down for a couple of things, firstly, I think they rip you off a bit with their tours and excursions. We did the tour of all the pyramids and I think we paid over the odds, plus you're expected to tip which puts it up even more. We also did a nile dinner cruise through the hotel which was a bit pricey for what you got and I'm 80% sure that I became ill because of that dinner.
The room we stayed in was very sparse and we had a tiny window, which was fine for us as we spent most of our time outside but sometimes it's nice to come back to something a bit nicer. It does have a nice bathroom though with good hot showers
Finally, breakfast tasted nice but there wasn't much of it, would have been nice to have more or at least have the option for more.
Hotel Osiris wasn't bad and I wouldn't be unhappy staying there again but I think I might try somewhere else in Cairo next time.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FishyFlipFlop
hotelosiris, owner at Osiris Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2009
Good day everyone,

thank you for this new review that once again will help future travellers chose an accomodation in Cairo on their next trip.
I am glad the reviewer enjoyed our rooftop terrace, staff, location, cleanliness and the hot showers!!
I would like to comment on a couple of points:

- yes the room are sparse, it has been said before and we make no secret of it. when you book directly with us through our email we tell you what room you have and you can see pictures before you decide, some rooms have balconies and are bright, others dont have a view but you know all that before coming, we never lie about anything or try to make it look differently than what it is.
what is really important for us and especially here in cairo as it is so hard to find is that we have:
spotless rooms and bathrooms,
hot water and good pressure all day and night
very good quality mattresses for a good night sleep!

-Breakfast: we have a list of what is on breakfast on our website and you can check it before booking, if it wasnt enough you are more than welcome to ask for more
(no buffet breakfast, you are served at your table on our balcony-verando with:
toasts, butter, jam, kiri cheese, egyptian cheese, egyptian bread, yogurt, tea, coffee, orange juice, french pancake with banana and maple syrup. if you dont want pancake you can ask for eggs or omelettes)
I remind you also that the breakfast is free and the price for a double room is 53usd (for 2 people) so please dont go expecting a 5 star buffet like the ones they serve when charging 200 usd for a room!!!!

-price of excursions:
you can always find cheaper options but because of our good reputation we chose to work with good quality providers (cars that have breaks, drivers with licence... you would be surprised what conditions some will provide in order to lower costs)
here is the cost for our main tour:

visit of the 3 sites of Guiza, Saqqara and Dashour (around 100km during the day)
with private (noone shares with you so you can go at your own rythm) minivan (newer models, excellent state) with A/C and private driver: 250 EGP for the day (around 45 usd)includes parking fees
private professional guide in the language of your choice for the whole day: 200 EGP (around 35 usd)
entrance fees to the 3 sites for 2 people: 300 EGP (around 53 usd)
midday meal for 2 (buffet all you can eat with barbecue chicken and kofta on your table): 50 EGP per person (around 9usd)

thats a total of 850 EGP for 2 persons (around 153 usd for 2)
we charge 860 EGP, thats 10 EGP (less than 2 usd) for the hotel to organise it ... if thats ripping off people...
as i said you can always find cheaper options, either on shared tours (with people you dont know and not free to go as you please) or with guides that will spend more time in shops than on the sites (make no mistakes when you book a very cheap tour they will have a way of recuperating the money somewhere else and thats by making people buy things and take commission, that one thing we dont do)
i invite all our guests to shop around, see the options and see what best suits them, we dont organise tours to make money we do it because we know that with the people we work with our guests will be happy and have a good day and a good experience. We've had too many examples of people taking cheap tours and ending up being ripped off at the end.

-the dinner show on the Nile:
we charge 120 EGP (around 14usd) per person for an all you can eat buffet and show (soufi dance, belly dance and live orchestra and dancers) + taxi
once again you can shop around and that would be around the cheapest price offered by hotels in cairo as we dont overcharge on top of what the boat company asks us to pay (and on top of that we have an employee going with the guests to ensure that everything is ok so we pay someone to go there)

when we offer tours there are no hidden costs, you know all about it before you book it and you have the option of doing it or not. The only reason we offer those tours is because when we didnt too many people came back unhappy at being cheated or ripped off or had a bad guide who hardly spoke the language and it spoiled their experience of their stay.
As foreigners (my mother josiane and I are french and my husband fernando is mexican) ourselves we want our guests to have the best stay possible and not only in the hotel but on their days out as well.
i hope all this information helps

hoping to see some of you in the near future
nadine
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

Very clean, very well located for the Egyptian Museum and has a lovely roof top lounge. The one negative is that I have to agree with the reviewers that stated that Nabil is friendly only if you use his services to book taxis etc. As very independent travelers we prefer to go it alone, and we were treated a bit coldly once that was made clear. However, I recommend the Osiris for those on a budget that can ignore this aspect of the hotel.

Stayed May 2009
1 Thank funky_4
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

After finishing our contract working in Cairo, we were fortunate to have found the Osiris to use as a base before leaving the country. We were kindly allowed to store our many suitcases while we were traveling in other parts of Egypt. Upon our return to Cairo, we felt as if we were returning home. Nadine and Fernando were accommodating of our special needs and made us feel most welcome.

We liked the Osiris so much that we recommended it to my mother for her stay in June. Nadine corresponded with her prior to her arrival and arranged an airport pickup for her.

When we return to Egypt on a future vacation, we will surely stay at the Osiris. With the friendly management, spotless rooms, and convenient location, there is no better choice for accommodation in Cairo. We highly recommend the Osiris.

NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

Don't be put off by the somewhat sketchy streetside entry up to the elevator. Once you get up to the hotel, it's clean, comfortable, has decent shower (with curtain!) and good water pressure. The owners were very nice and had good recommendations on some non-touristy things to do. The whole thing is well put together and the rooftop and balcony are great, homey touches. I found it to be a charming place as far as budget travel options go. Also, the subway is just a short walk away. There's also an internet station available inside the hotel for a very small fee.

egyptiansaffron
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

What a wonderful place! Hotel Osiris was perfect for our final few days. The owners went beyond the call of duty in assisting us with any issues. My husband's sandal was broken so Nabil arranged for it to be fixed within half an hour. The breakfast was excellent and the Hotel's 18th floor location has lovely views. Our room was clean and spotless, the service feindly and corteous. The location was great too, in a downtown neighbourhood, far from the tourist zone.