“Great mid-range hotel”

Ranked #35 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Arlington, Virginia
“Great mid-range hotel”
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My 65 year old dad and I (24 years old) decided to go to Cairo on a very last minute compulsion to travel to Egypt, a dream of my dad's for 65 years. We were very happy that Hotel Osiris had room for us only three days before our arrival and was able to arrange for us to be picked up at the airport for $15. We decided to stay in this hotel because it came so highly recommended in Lonely Planet and as a compromise between a top-end hotel, which my dad wanted, and a budget hotel, which is what I'm accustomed to when I travel and usually enjoy. As it turned out, both of us were largely pleased because it provided the services and comfort (except for the water issue... see below) of a nice boutique hotel and the friendliness of a good hostel.

Like a previous poster mentioned, there was a water problem at Hotel Osiris and we arrived the day before the water was shut off. While this did not significantly disrupt our travel (they provided water for flushing toilets and taking sponge baths), it made our stay somewhat less comfortable. Also, we were scheduled to stay here for three nights at the beginning of our trip and an additional night at the end of our trip. We ended up canceling our later stay because we really wanted a place to shower before our return home. If we had known that we could have taken a shower at another hotel while at Hotel Osiris, we would have likely returned.

Now on to the good things.

Breakfast was served every morning with or without water. It was a simple continental breakfast, though the addition of the crepe made it a little more special. Of all the hotels I stayed in in Egypt, Hotel Osiris served the best breakfast.

The location was pretty good. The immediate neighborhood was pretty bare, but it's a five minute walk to the action. This can not be said enough - Cairo is very safe, especially this area, and we always felt safe. You're a five minute walk from the main square in Cairo and the American University. Lot's of good eating options from here, especially Koshari Abu Tahrir and Taboula.

The rooms were comfortable and I actually thought that some of the beds were more comfortable than my own bed. On top of that our room was clean. My one complaint was that there could have been more windows in our room, though I realize that the hotel has very little ability to control that.

The hotel also arranged for our great tour of the three main pyramid sites of Saqqara, Dahshur, and Giza. Don't get me wrong, Giza was great, but I was impressed by Dahshur. I didn't know that Dahshur existed before coming to Egypt, but I am so glad that we were taken here. It's a little bit out of the way, but make sure you go to Dahshur, even if you go with another group. Our guide, Heny was a true professional and was very open to talking about many aspects of Egyptian history and had some insight into what it was like living in Egypt today. I would recommend that everybody use this tour, even if it was a little expensive (about 850 LE for the two of us). Really, you're going to pay a lot for these sights anyway, so you're only paying about 150 LE extra per person ($25) for the guide.

One of the owners was able to secure overnight train tickets to Luxor for us too for barely any additional cost. We paid an extra $20 total to arrange our tickets through the hotel. On a side note, if anyone is questioning taking the train to Luxor, I highly recommend the overnight train. My dad and I are light sleepers but we slept great on the train.

On top of all of this the owners were very friendly. One afternoon after our pyramids tour and before our train to Luxor, my dad and I were too tired to walk around Cairo or do much else, so we sat in the lobby and had a long conversation with one of the owners. She was lovely to talk to and had some great things to say about her travels.

My dad and I ended up staying in a "boutique" hotel on our final night in Cairo. While it was nice and in a slightly better location, it was twice as expensive as Hotel Osiris, and didn't provide all the amenities that Hotel Osiris offered. I had a brief conversation with another guest at the hotel who said her guide for the pyramids, arranged by the hotel, spent two hours taking guests shopping when they explicitly said they didn't want to and completely missed out on Dahshur.

Overall, despite the water problems, I enjoyed Hotel Osiris. When I return to Cairo I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010
3 Thank Drillings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
london
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I've travelled to many places and endured all sorts of accomodation but I've never endured five days without running water before. And I've never been so ill before (tummy/headaches/shakes). In fact, a week after returning from my stay I am still ill!

The building had its water switched off just before I arrived. The hosts offered to sort me out an alternative but were confident it would be switched back on soon. I took a gamble. The place itself is very nice and the location is great if you want a central base in Cairo. It felt safe to walk around and there were no hassles (I got less hassled for baksheesh here than anywhere else). I stayed in a small single room, a small stream of ants leading from a pipe to the bin. The mattress had seen better days. But generally it was fine for the price as a lone traveller.

The hosts are fine too, particularly if you speak French. I wouldn't call it overly welcoming, but Josianne and Nadine enquired after my health when I got sick and Nabil offered me some aniseed tea and refunded me some of my pyramid tour as I was too ill to make all of it. Nice people, if a little distracted by the water problem. Sadly, I think it was food preparation (breakfast) that led to my illness and another guest (the husband of a German couple) fell ill at the same time as me with similar symptoms.

They sorted me out a guide, a lovely bloke called Hany, for a trip to the Pyramids. He was very knowledgable and pleasant, a traditional Egyptologist, although I was kind of hoping for some opinion about some of the alternative theories of the Giza pyramids but Hany is old school but a good guy. I'd really recommend him though you have to be careful not to get pulled into the shops - we never got to the bottom of who in the arrangement was responsible for the shop visits but it was either the hotel, the driver or the guide :) I was feeling so sick I actually had to return half way through my private tour and still I got a bit of pressure (nothing heavy) to go to two shops. I complied, since I liked my guide, and bought some crap I didn't really want as I was told this is what the driver expects and to be honest I just wanted to get back to my room :) I think the biggest problem was that I spent the best part of two days in my room, going to the toilet every ten minutes with an upset stomach, and not being able to flush it - it was disgusting - and I kind of felt that the hotel staff could have done more to help me. But I guess I needed to be more vocal about my difficulties rather than assume they would empathise...If the water worked and I didn't get ill as a result of it not working (my belief) then I would say this is a good base for your time in Cairo. Oh, what did really irritate was that on their website they boast of internet facilities yet they have none. There's an internet cafe just down the street, but that's not the point.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank macyojimbo
hotelosiris, Owner at Osiris Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2010
Hello everybody

First of all i would like to thank all our guests who were so supportive during the 12 (very long) days we had to go without water.
The water was cut off for the whole building and getting it restored was a real challenge that took a lot of energy and effort on our part and without the support of our guests i think we would have just closed down the hotel and gone away!!!
so thank you everybody for staying with us and be so nice about it
(when i realised water was not going to be restored quickly i did write to all the guests to warn them and offer alternatives, everybody chose to come and stay with us, really all our guests have been wonderful and i cant thank them enough)

we were able to bring water from the outside to clean the hotel and flush the toilets (with buckets of water) but there was no water for the showers so we were distributing boxes of mineral water (about 30 Liters per day and more if necessary) for people to use at their convenience
we had also rented showers in another hotel for our guests to go to anytime they wished

now back to the review, i really feel sorry for this young man, he was lovely and even though i knew he was sick (i brought him a banana from my home as he thought it could help him and we made him rice soup) i didnt realise how bad it was until i read the review... i really wish he had let us know because it would have been very easy for us to have a member of staff bringing the water to flush the toilets every half hour or so.
if people dont speak we cant read mind, so i really urge people coming here to tell us when they need something

i dont really see how he could have got sick with the breakfst though as the other guests were not affected and nothing in breakfast can make you sick (toasts, yogurts.... the fruits were washed in mineral water... even tea and coffee are made with mineral water)
it is very sad because i know this trip meant a lot to him and was ruined by being very ill however i really dont see how the hotel can be blamed for that.
if this is the kind of place people got sick then other reviewers would have mentionned it before and you can check the previous 192 posts and noone has ever had any complaints about that

the one thing i am glad he is talking about so i can say it again (i have written about it before)
if the guide offers you to go to a shop (we ask them not to but they will always ask) and you dont want to... JUST SAY NO!!! they will not put a gun to your head or be pushy, just say no
and if anything is not as you wish, ask the guide to call Nabil, he will sort it out, we are totally against this culture of bringing guests to shops, we hate it for ourselves and for our guests so it is definitely not something that is done on our request
When coming back from the trip this young man shoud have told us about it, we would have made the guide refund the things he bought
once again i cannot stress that enough, if anything is not wright, have the person call nabil and if you dont then as soon as you are back let us know, and if possible in front of the guide so anything that needs sorting can be done then.... telling us when you are thousands of miles away is just too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the mattress... i am a bit surprised about the comment, we bought the mattresses brand new (20 year guarantee) and they are the same as the 5 star hotel movenpick hotel, so one thing that we really invested in are the mattresses and i think it shows as most people in the reviews talk about good quality sleep

once again i am really sorry this guest was so ill and that it ruined his trip for him but i do feel that we did everything we could with the knowledge we had (do you know many hotel where the manager will bring you food fror their own home and not charge you for it?!!)
however i understand his position and i thank him for a fair review, as i told him by email, if he ever comes back to cairo it will be our pleasure to receive him again and make sure he has the best time possible
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Not only are the accommodations comfortable, the folks helped us arrange a guide and driver for a day-long pyramid trip (Haney was excellent! - very knowledgeable and friendly), and had lots of other advice for us. They create a friendly, welcoming environment.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Just recently returned from a trip to Israel, Palestine and Egypt with my father and brother. While in Cairo, we stayed at the Hotel Osiris in the Bedouin room (3 twin beds and private bath). The location is wonderful. We walked to the Egyptian Museum, mosques, markets, Nile and many other locations. The staff was so friendly, it felt like we were family. Breakfast generally consists of a crepe, toast, fruit, cheese and yogurt. They even remembered that I like milk with my coffee and it was ready for me every morning. The lobby and rooftop are lovely places to relax and enjoy views of the city.

We did not use the hotel to set up day trips, but would recommend Noga Tours. They have air conditioned vehicles and prepared guides.

The only thing to be warned of is that most taxi drivers do not know where this hotel is even with the address. Be equipped with the nearest cross streets when coming from the airport or getting around town.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
hotelosiris, Owner at Osiris Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2010
thank you so much for this nice comment, we are always happy to see that our guests have had a good experience with us

just one word:
yes it is true that taxis, especially from the airport have a hard time finding us (or they pretend they do so they can take you to a friends hotel and get a commission!!!)
we really advise to set up an airport pick up with us, it is the same price as what you would pay from there (and sometimes even cheaper with us!) and you have a driver waiting for you with a sign with your name, you dont have to pay him so there is no currency problem, the fare is added to your hotel bill, you dont have to fight with airport drivers bargaining about prices and you dont have to drive around in circles while the driver looks for the hotel!!!!
airport pick up is organised for your convenience, the drivers are reliable so i would really recommend it!!!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We booked into the hotel after the positive reviews that we read on Tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed. We paid 40 Euro for a balcony room with an ensuite. The room was clean, and we were happy to come back to our little room at the end of the day. There was free wi-fi available in the lobby area, and the breakfast provided was more than adequate. We booked a "day trip" through the hotel, which consisted of a driver and an old Volvo car, to the various pyramid sites, which we enjoyed, but we had to make it clear to the driver that we did not wish to stop at any souvenir shops along the way (we were asked several times). The car was not air-conditioned, which was a little uncomfortable as it was a hot day. Overall, we would recommend this hotel, as we thought it was good value for money, and only a 10 min walk to the downtown area. We felt very safe walking around the area at night, and there were various food options closeby. We also used the "airport pickup" option offered by the hotel, which made for a very smooth entry into Cairo.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
hotelosiris, Owner at Osiris Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2010
Hello everybody

i just wanted to clarify something

when hiring a car with us you have the choice between:
- a 200 egp per day car (no A/C which isnt a problem for most of the year but from may to september it can be incomfortable if stuck in traffic!!!)
-a 250 egp per day private minivan with A/C

depending on your budget you can chose whichever suits you best

a last piece of advice, you will never ever ever find a guide or a driver in egypt who wont ask you if you want to go to the papyrus factory or the perfume shop.... everybody will ask, including the people we work with, the difference then is that the people we work with will not force you to go (don't laugh, a lot of tourists are brought to shops against their will or under false pretences)
if you are not interested just let them know even if you have to say it a couple of times
and if you do go to a shop (for exemple to see how papyrus is made) do not feel under any obligation to buy something from the sales person, you are allowed to go and visit the place and leave empty handed, it might feel uncomfortable but noone will tie you to a chair until you buy something, be firm but polite!!!!
Antarctica
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We were very pleased with our stay at the Hotel Osiris. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Handy location. They kindly organized a tailor made private day tour (organized at our request – no high pressure sales) to Giza and Dashur through them (itinerary set to suit the children) – we were very satisfied. The day went were smoothly - great guide, fantastic lunch. Compared to tour prices in Luxor we found it reasonably priced especially given the quality and ease of service. All transfers were on time (even when our initial flight was late arriving and luggage was misplaced). The place is incredibly well managed by a dedicated Egyptian-French family. Yes, they have rules but they help ensure the place is secure and runs smoothly. Management is very up front about what they offer and how they work right from the beginning (see their website). If you need blow dryers, smoking rooms and all day breakfasts you would be best to look elsewhere (and if you want tranquility best to skip Cairo all together). The one suggestion for improvement is the door handle on the common toilet – extremely noisy to open and close; thus neighbour’s nightly toilet habits do disturb one’s sleep. All email correspondence prior to our stay was complete and timely. They kindly allowed us to leave luggage with them whilst we made a side trip to Luxor. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank IMGT
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This hotel was perhaps the cleanest of all the budget to mid-range options that we actually physically went and checked out personally.

Pros:
-clean
-free wifi
-breakfast included and made fresh
-24 hour front desk support
-books to read
-rooftop terrace that is beautiful

Cons:
-outside of downtown core but only 10 minute walk
-hard to see hotel sign

My spouse and I stayed here for 1 night but would gladly have stayed here for more nights after seeing the other hotels that downtown Cairo had to offer (most of the ones we saw were around Midan Orabi). In comparison this hotel did not have carpeted flooring (huge plus for cleanliness) and had fantastically fresh sheets plus a safer elevator to use.

The bathroom would not compare to Western standards in terms of construction, i.e. the toilet was great but our shower was in the middle of the bathroom with no real shower stall to speak of, but it was C L E A N - yes clean! And that after checking out the other options was a huge plus. Namely there was no dying roach on the floor like one other hotel had. Please note that the en suite bathroom room rate is higher but the other rooms do have access to communal showers/toilets to share among every 4 rooms I believe.

For reference we paid about 60 Euro to stay here and the other hotels we looked at might have been about 10-20 Euros cheaper but the extra few dollars made for a huge difference in peace of mind.

It's family run operation with some support staff and there is always someone available 24 hours a day.

The owner allowed us to keep our luggage there after checking-out, which was a great help as we were flying out after midnight and didn't need an additional night's stay but wanted to have our luggage stowed somewhere in the interim.

My spouse even got to take a shower before heading to the airport despite not being checked in by simply paying 10 Egyptian pounds - he used the communal shower.

Overall as someone who is slightly OCD and particular about where I sleep, this place was very good in my books for the price point.

Hope this helps :)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yatramonde
hotelosiris, owner at Osiris Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2010
Hello everybody,

thank you to this reviewer for sharing her experience

just a couple of things:

- the couple mentionned paying 60 euros but it was probably 60 dollars as our double rooms are 35 euros per night and 40 euros with a balcony
triples are 45 euros and our big 6 person family room is 70 euros, that includes taxes and breakfast

there are 2 rooms with shared toilets (they have their own private shower) so it is only shared between 2 rooms (and as mentionned very clean)
there are 2 room with shared bathroom, only shared between those 2 rooms (a double and a single)

i hope this information helps

have a nice day... here in cairo it is starting to be a bit hot!!
nadine