“Owner cares the traveller”
Review of Sara Inn Hostel

Sara Inn Hostel
Ranked #61 of 127 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Toronto, Canada
“Owner cares the traveller”
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My husband and I first booked another hostel for our budget travel. I have to cancel after 2 nigths stay on that hostel. I know Sara Inn was highly recommended by travellers. The location is great. We arrived around 7:00a.m. from overnight train in Luxor. The owner ask the lady clean the room for us since there're family just left. And let us check in before 8:00a.m. without any extra charges. We arrived Dahar at 5:00a.m. to hostel. The owner charge us half day, we feel reasonble too. But he know we're tired, need shower. He walked extra miles for us. That's the heart I see he knows traveller what we need. Breakfast is 7:00a.m. good for catching before the door open in Giza. For the price you pay, it worth.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saycheer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Excellent hotel. Good value. Very friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful rooms. I had a wonderful stay here, central but quiet.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Urdorf, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Pro:
-We booked shortnotice, didn't know if it's going to work out, and got picked up at the Airport!
- Its pretty quiet for it's location in the middle of downtown.
- nice atmosphere and friendly staff
- Staff can give you helpful information and don't try to press one of their tours on you.
Con:
-Their website is misleading (on purpose!) about the "free pickup" when booking a double room. After you book it they tell you that this is only for an ensuite. If you really go search for it on the website you will eventally find it hidden somwhere though. Also they tried to charge 70LE instead of 60LE for the pickup. On the other hand, it's Egypt!
- WiFi was not working. They claimed it would be a major problem and the entire area would be without internet. I could not get on their router and next door there was Internet, make of this what you want...

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 18 December 2010

As for value for money you can't fund a better spot in Cairo. A few points to note - the average taxi driver will not have a clue how to find this place so make use of the shuttle bus (same goes for any hotel in Cairo). Sara Hotel starts on the 6th floor of a building - there is a lift that works but is dodge.

I can honestly say that I have not met a friendlier management team. Welcoming and happy to help out where they can.

There rooms are modest, but hey this is Cairo.

Highly recommended !

• Stayed December 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 December 2010

This is a hostel not the Hilton, rooms are basic and clean. I booked this hostel because of the free airport pick up but it was a much better experience than expected. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Emails were answered quickly. I was there during a religious holiday and the owner even shared a special meal with me. The cost of the all day tour to Giza, Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur was reasonably priced. There is free WiFi and two computers with a low hourly fee. The free breakfast was OK. Both the breakfast room and the computer room were great places to meet other travelers. I liked it so well that I stayed there again when I came back through Cairo.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Arrived in Cairo after a long and exhausting trip with an all-night stopover and no sleep. Booked a single room on their website the day before, received a confirmation email within a couple of hours. Location is suberb. In Downtown - only two mins walk from Tahrir Sqare and the Sadat metro station. Staff friendly and helpful. Clean rooms that are good value (I payd 80 egyptian pounds a night for a double room with shared bathroom - that also clean with hot shower). Would absolutety stay here next time i visit Cairo.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I stayed here for four nights after reading some good reviews. Of course, after my stay, I think those reviews may be years old and not updated. I had to ask for the room to be cleaned each day and the toilet clogged and was not sufficiently fixed the third time it happened. The mattress was hard as a rock.
The owner of this hostel is a money hungry man. When I paid my bill at check out I handed him some pounds which required some change. He just stood there thinking I was going to forget that he owed me change and then he said he had no change. When I demanded my money he then pulled out a wad of cash and gave it to me somewhat irritated. Also, I negotiated down a price of a tour, then he said I told someone I would pay more and told me to give the difference in money to one of the workers or he would take it out of his pay. When I told him a deal is a deal he tried again to guilt me into giving the worker more money. I found this extremely distasteful. He is less than honest with his guests.
The desk help, drivers, and the rest of the staff were nice. They all try to use the "friend" line on you.
Find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo