“great choice to stay in Cairo”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
Ranked #49 of 124 Speciality Lodging in Cairo
Tainan, Taiwan
“great choice to stay in Cairo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

The location is perfect, near Egyptian Museum and the metro, convenient to reach other sights and easy to grab simple and delicious Egyptian food around. The staff are friendly and full of energy. They are willing to answer any question and speak good English. I've stayed in three hostels in Cairo and this is the best one with reasonable prices. The bedrooms and bathrooms are clean and WIFI is fast and stable. Canadian is the only hostel that provides hair dryer among all the hostels i stayed in Egypt. I felt they are thoughtful and care about details. It is definitely a nice choice when you visit Cairo.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ShurouqHuang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Excellent value for money. Very central location in Downtown Cairo,2 minutes to the Egyptian Museum, Midam Tahrir and the metro station. Although the building looks a bit old but it's french designed. They have a door man 24 hours, that makes me feel safe. The common spaces and the rooms are very clean and spacious. Choose room number 115, it has shower inside. The staff are very friendly and helpful, they speak very well english, they have organized a wonderful falucca trip in the south, thanks jimmy. very recommend this hostel.
see you guys next time :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank pony c
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

i spent some days here and book a tour with them.
so, rooms are basic, just a bed no wardrobes.
ask for air condition rooms. it is very hot cairo.
there is wifi and a simple breakfast.
managers speak good english.

about Tours, i booked a tour by them and in the south in aswan their partners are not very professional.

about Felluca-egyptian boats was very boring. i booked a 2 days cruise in the nile river and 1 st day we stayed all day stuck in the port doim anything.
the 2sd day we sailed in the river 40 minutes and the after stuck all day in a side of the river near the port doing nothing.
in the boat there is no toilet and no shower

i do NOY reccomend to girls to go alone only by a group.

the sailers stay all day in the boat smoking weed. is it their holiday??

felluca boat trip was very boring.

i talked about these problems to the manager of the hostel and he sayd me: "
i will give you a refund of 2 free nights here in the hostel"

did someone see my refund??

not me!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank nicola f
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed at this location as part of the whole Backpackers package I bought. What a great place - right near the big square, near shopping, public transit, etc. Internet worked really well as did the a/c.
Would stay here again, without question. Also, FYI the tour package is one of the best (and best priced) you will find in the country - seriously.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank amberinnevada
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

it is located in the center of cairo, on the main shopping roads ... a very pleasant hotel with clean and comfortable rooms, very friendly and helpful staff.s... I really enjoyed my stay there.....................................................................!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mutzi343
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Canadian hostel for three nights and while it was nothing special, I had no major complaints.
It was when I wanted to book a tour of the Giza pyramids and Saqqara that things took a bad turn.
Having paid for a driver and tour guide for the trip, we arrived at Giza to be met by a camel operator which was not included in the price. I was taken to a small alcove and given a range of prices and ended up being charged 560 Egyptian pounds for the camel ride.
At no point was I threatened but the camel owner was a very large man and there were no tourist police in the vicinity.
I realize I should have stood my ground but I was afraid of what might happen had I refused.
I had also had a very traumatic experience with the airport customs two days prior so I wasn't thinking clearly.
To add further insult, I didn't have enough money to continue to Saqqara even though I had already paid for their services.
I was given no refund or apology.
What a bunch of crooks so please be aware of such scams.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Cjj37
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

nothing to say good about this hostel, but please don't go there anyway ..

Room - ok but nothing special,
toilet & bathroom - no water, seat is broken
location - ok
staff - no friendly, just wait for you to check out so they can switch off lights & Ac.

I paid for a full night and check in at 10 am, but I want to leave early so told them that I will leave at 2pm, staff came to me at 2pm to ask me check out even I paid for whole night than I said that I will leave in 30 minutes so he remind me that it was till 2pm only, what a service & nature to treat guest.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo