“Grand Hotel, 26 July Street, Cairo”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel
Ranked #73 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 13 January 2010

The Grand Hotel was centrally located in downtown Cairo, so we weren't in a very touristy location which was sort of nice, but it meant we stood out more as a group of girls travelling together.

The lifts were certainly an experience, but then so were the taxi rides. The Hotel wasn't modern, but the rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The street was very busy and noisy most of the time and we were woken every morning by the call to prayer, once you got used to this it wasn't really a problem though.

A very interesting experience and good value hotel.

Stayed: October 2009
4  Thank borntotravel26

Reviewed 4 November 2009

great location 5 close to downtown and the zamalrc area 53 dollars gets a nice clean room in french style building with balcony and a nice view

Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I stayed in Cairo for 5 days last summer at the Grand hotel 26th July street, it was a cheap hotel so I wasn't expecting much but OMG when I saw the room it was huge! it had air-con,TV, VERY clean, bathroom was excellent, I couldn't fault it. It also has friendly reception staff an excellent location in Downtown Cairo near a metro and a short walk to the famous Egyptian Antiquities Museum. The hotel slso has a valley of the kings restaurant which we had a meal in the first day we arrived, we didn't find the meal all that satisfactory and there was blasting music in the restaurant spoiling the ambience, the restaurant is also where they have the breakfast which is excellent and plentiful, cooked breakfast, pastries, fruit etc. This would be my first choice on a future return visit to Cairo.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shibbyal
Reviewed 10 June 2009

The Grand still retains some of the feel that it must have had as a British officer's mess in the Second World War. I especially liked the balconies overlooking the busy street below. I spent a lot of time there just watching the world go by. It is not fancy but has a certain charm that moden hotels lack. It is also in a very central location.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I had an extremely disappointing experience for a night I stayed at the Grand Hotel. My friend and I had read positive reviews on the hotel and generally don't have terribly high expectations for a place to crash for the night, but this may be the worst hotel experience I've ever had. To start, the desk clerk was rude and we felt as though he was scamming us. We had verified the price of a room before arriving in Cairo, and the clerk gave us a different price than what was previously quoted. We asked for advice on several occasions, once for a dinner recommendation and again for a convenience store that might sell alcohol, and both times he was very brass and rude. He could not make any dinner recommendations and didn't know where we could find alcohol. There ended up being a liquor store with a very large sign literally across the street. When we let him know for future recommendations, he literally didn't respond and stared at me.

The room itself was definitely a lower value than other hotels we found for the same price in Cairo. Our room faced the street and was very loud. Earplugs didn't muffle the sound of the very busy street outside. I was a little nervous about getting under the sheets after finding something that looked like a squished scorpion in my bed. On the bright side, there was no shortage of hot water in our room.

The biggest positive aspect about the hotel is the free meals. The food is decent for being a free buffet, and they do have quite a bit of variety. The wifi availability is somewhat okay, but it does cost extra.

If you can find someplace else to stay in Cairo, I'd really recommend it. I stayed at three hotels while visiting, and this was the worst for its price range.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aurora C
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Brill hotel.
Room was big.
Bathroom was lovely.staff were very good.
food yet again very good & cheap.
I booked a front room over looking july street.
A/c good.
It was that good ive booked this hotel again & again going back feb 2009.
The hotel is rite in the middle of the centre so can walk to most places.
metro station 2mins walk away.
Room per nite was only 40 usd!! which is so cheap for what you get.
Lovely bar were again drinks very cheap.
Bed was spot on lovely clean sheets.
Havent got one bad thing to say about this hotel.
I was staying at another hotel and that was a dump.I came across this hotel when i went for walk about.all i can say is thank god a lovely hotel in the middle of cairo not many about!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I checked through the Net and of course, Tripadvisor searching for a reasonable downtown Cairo hotel. The previous reviews were positive and I informed my tour agent to book the rooms. The hotel is clean inside although the facade needs some beautification. The rooms are clean and most important the bedsheets and blankets were clean too with no irritation. I understand it is an old building with old fashion lifts and decor. Worth the money for a 3 stars hotel.
Please bring ear-plugs if you are a light sleeper as traffic outside is very chaotic and using of horns are a must for Cairo's drivers whole day long until early morning. Ask for higher floor rooms to have a good view of downtown.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family