“Remarkable Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Toronto, Canada
“Remarkable Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

After doing a tour of Egypt, I stayed at this hotel for one night before catching an early morning flight out of Cairo. I read many Cairo hotel reviews and chose Fairmont Towers Heliopolis for its close proximity to the airport, the reviews and the excellent price I found on a hotel booking website.

I arrived in the morning and was able to check in. Though if a room was not available I'm sure I would not have a problem killing time in the hotel's large lobby. There are restaurants and seating areas that would have made it easy to spend time till a room was available.

I was given a deluxe room on the 3rd floor with a view of the pool and was very impressed with the size of the room, its decor and amenities. The images on the Fairmont website provide a true likeness of the room and hotel itself. The king-sized bed was the most comfortable I`ve had and there was far more space & seating than I could possibly use, with a couch, a desk and two armchairs. The tv had a good variety, including local, english, news, movie and music channels.

But I was most pleased with the washroom. It`s size is large enough for a separate tub (which had more than enough space, I thought), a large water closet and shower room. The contemporary design of the washroom reminded me of a luxury spa -- for eg. the bathroom ceramics (sink, tub, &c.) were Villeroy & Boch.

I used Room Service and my order arrived within 30min. Much attention was put towards with the table setup to make the setting perfect. Though unfortunately the food was cooler than I would have preferred. A second call needed to be made to Room Service to have the table-tray taken away.

Check out was easy and the front desk advised me that there was a free shuttle to the airport, which I wasn`t aware of, but it was fast and efficient.

I expect a high level of service and accomodation from all Fairmont hotels, but Fairmont Towers Heliopolis went beyond my expectations.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travellator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

This place is beautiful. Everyone says 5 star is not really 5 star in Egypt, but it's not the case here. Everything is brand new and ultra-modern. It was about a 5 minute drive from the airport, so perfect for that. However I would never want to stay here if visiting Cairo is on my agenda. It's just too far away from the city.
I booked a transfer thru the conceirge, and it was the best $30 I ever spent. I never do this, but my international flight was delayed and I didn't want the hassles in haggling with a taxi at that late hour, (I was alone). The man whisked me through immigration and customs so fast I barely even saw them. I was in the car and on my way while most people from my flight were still standing in line.

I was checked in very quickly. The room was downright posh. I booked the cheapest city-view room but they upgraded me to an "Atrium View". It looked out to the lobby and hated it. I couldn't look out my window or the guards in the lobby would stare back at me. Very creepy!

One annoyance: I was whisked thru the airport the night before and forgot to stop at the ATM, so had only dollars. The front desk refused to exchange even a small amount for me to take a $4 taxi ride back to the airport and my flight to Sharm. They told me no way would the driver take my American money and I would have to book the hotel limo thru them. I took the taxi anyway, and the driver was only to happy with my money. And I heard later (from these reviews), there is a bank in the hotel!!! I won't take a star away for the behavior of one front desk person.

Here's a great tip: If you sign up for the Fairmont points program before you go, they'll give you free internet. I think it costs like 30 bucks otherwise.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank chavalaSantaFe