“Sphinx, camels and all”

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Sphinx, camels and all”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

WOW!!! This was the trip of a lifetime. Everything was larger than life. People were very accommodating. Saw all of the sites I had only seen in the movies or books. Made many purchases. Food was surprisingly good. Can't remember the name of the hotel but it was beautiful. Service was great

Visited November 2011

Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“6 Day Delta Tours Cairo and Luxur 2012”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

There were daily connections to be made with our guides and all were made on time. The hotels were clean and at 4 star standard. The guides were knowledgeable and flexible in the itinerary. They even stayed with us at the train station and got us on the right train at about 10pm and later.. Egypt has had a sharp decline in tourism since the revolution. This combined with the slow summer period produced few tourists. Temperatures got to 42 C but avoided much of this in the morning and evening touring. Visited various retail outlets and factories and were advised that goods could be purchased without serious pressure. The pressure came from sellers on the streets, at the pyramids and monuments-hold your ground. Would recommend Delta tours for price and efficiency

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Norm S
Delhi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Nine days budget tour in Egypt with Delta Tours”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Nine days in Egypt
I just came back from a 9 day holiday in Egypt along with my daughter. I bought the flight online and booked a package with M/s. Delta Tours. They were good enough and inexpensive. Someone was there to receive us at the airport and got us to a hotel which is in Giza, away from the Central District of Cairo. There are a few rip-offs which you should be careful about.
On you way to the monuments they will take you to a Papyrus museum, Egyptian cotton outlet, Perfume factory, Alabaster outlet…..just to make you buy something that I felt was irritating. In fact despite me telling that I wouldn’t be interested in buying they took us there. I don’t know if it is mandatory for the guides to do that. Prices are too fanciful.
Tell them that you would be happy eating at some fast food joints like KFC, Pizza Hut, Mac rather than at places shown by them.
One Alabaster shop I was taken to at Luxor explains to you how to identify between fakes and real ones, but dishes out fake ones for fancy prices. I was tight fisted and lost just a few dollars. Just avoid all these chaperoned marketing tours and tell them that you are not interested in shopping. They give you tea and tell you that it is their custom to welcome visitors……..see through it…..they are a lot of bull.
It’s alright if you get ripped of minor amounts at Khan el Khalili. Begin by bargaining at one-tenth the price or even ridiculously less, it is all okay with them.
The guides were very nice – Sami at Cairo, AlHaleem at Luxor, Aswan and the Cruise and Mustafa at Abu Simbel. Very cultured and helpful. There was one George who showed us Cairo. The supposedly government shops too overcharge you.
Add a hundred dollars for all the baksheesh. Salaries are truly low and you need to give this to drivers and some helpers which I recommend you should factor into your tour cost. But I was asked to pay even at the airport, not much…the security man who checked me just wanted one dollar…it is okay.
Avoid the sitting train Cairo-Luxor/Aswan as it is painful instead go for the sleeping one, although expensive. In Egypt they smoke all over the place and I hope the new government would bring in laws that would keep public places smoke-free.
They charged me an additional $100 per person for the Abu Simbal trip from Aswan, whereas those who travelled with me paid one-tenth of the price. When asked they told me that the cost was for a private car which could not be arranged. I hope Delta would refund that small amount as I want to use that refund to tip all my guides. Egypt is safe. But tourists must pay more even for water. The actual cost of a water bottle is 2.5 pounds but they will not charge you below 5 pounds. If you understand living conditions in a struggling economy support Egypt.
Never miss Abu Simbel and if you like take the Nile tour between Aswan-Luxor. If you can afford to make an international student card you can get some decent discounts at the pyramids, mummies room etc.
I would like the guides to help us decide on the rates for the camel rides as we had a bad experience when my co-tourist was taken to a solitary place and taken off his entire money. Later with much bargaining he got it back. Small prices to pay for a great country like Egypt.

Visited May 2012
7 Thank IndMember
Cairo, Egypt
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“White Desert Excursion with Ibrahim - unforgettable!”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

In early March, I and 5 friends went to the Black and White Desert with Egypt Bargain Tours, and we had a fabulous time. Ibrahim organized a nice van to drive us from Cairo to Bahariya, and then we transfered to a 4x4 with a pair of (hilarious) local guides to go into the desert. The White Desert, where we camped, is truly stunning and unforgettable. The guides set up some very cute, clean tents, complete with mattresses, sleeping bags and blankets. We had a wonderful BBQ over a fire, which was truly delicious. The price for the trip was very reasonable. In all, Ibrahim is a knowledgeable but laid-back guide and I recommend him and his brothers very much!

Visited March 2012
4 Thank Brooklynite4ever
London
“Expat Explorer 10 Day Egypt Tour”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I've just finished up on a 10 day tour of Egypt with Expat Explorer. I went for this tour as it was the cheapest one on offer at the TNT travel show and I was on a tight budget, but also included 2 days at the beach resort of Hurghada which none of the other tours offered.

I've always wanted to travel to Egypt and I was not dissapointed. The tour kicked off in Cario at the El Tonsy Hotel which had the most amazing view of the Pyrimads from its roof top restaurant. All of the major sites (Pyramids, Sphinx, Abu Simbel, Valley of the Kings, etc..) where on the tour itinerary which made up the first bit of the tour. We did have a hiccup with our train from Cario to Aswan being cancelled, but the company organised for a bus replacement which meant we did not miss out on any of the sites.

Being a beach lover, the 2 days in Hurghada really topped off an awesome trip. Heaps of optional activities available there, but I chose just to chill out on the beach with some of the people I met on the tour.

Overall, the hotels were comfortable, transportation got us from A to B on time and the staff were awesome (your in for a treat if you get Peter as your travel guided!!). For the price, I really dont think there would be a comparable tour out there.

Highly recommeded!!