Sphinx Guest House
US$68
US$112
US$108
  • Restaurant
Pyramids View Inn(Giza)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$250
US$232
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewspizza hutlight showweek journeyhis friendsrooms are cleanfine hotelpyramid complexview is amazingperfect locationrooftop terracebreakfast and dinnerstayed here for nightspyramids viewgoudazakiguesthousemr
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed for one night at Gouda's Sphinx Guest House. Our host was very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed very much the greatest view of the Sphinx and Pyramids that you can think of! We has our dinner and breakfast at the guest house and found sufficient space in the rooms and had a proper taxi arrangement to take us to our next destination.
Great place to stay while visiting the Gizeh plateau. I would not recommend it for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Sphinx/Pyramids view of course!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2013

An amazing place to stay! The building and rooms are clean and Ghouda who is the owner is extremely friendly and can help plan your travels throughout Egypt. He was great in telling me what I should pay for different things to ensure I didn't get taken advantage of (something that happens a lot in Egypt). He also told me about where was and was not safe to go which is important knowledge to have. Had a lot of fun and really enjoyed just talking to Ghouda about the history of Egypt and everything else.

Ghouda treated me like a member of his family, a lot of people in Egypt will pretend to do this to try and get money but Ghouda was so genuine and never asked for any additional money.

To anyone who is wondering he speaks english very well and does not have an accent so there were no communication issues.

The view from this place is amazing, there is simply no better view!

Great value for your money, they also have free internet (good quality)

Room Tip: Try and get a Pyramid view room! absolutely stunning waking up look at the Sphinx and Pyramid!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 147Daniel
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My stay at the Sphinx Guest House was the 21st / 22nd of December 2012.
I got delayed at the airport by over an hour which the driver Zaki waited while I filled in forms re lost luggage.
Mr Gouda and his staff where more than helpful during my stay ,they where on hand to assist me in whatever I needed in contacting the airline, booking onward flight, even down to going to
the local shops for me.
The views from the roof terrace are as you see in the photos on Sphinx Guest House page. amazing.
As I have travelled to Egypt many times I know the ways of the people there and totally enjoy being in their country. It was also lovely to meet the other guests from around the world.
I advise you get up for sunrise and dont miss sunset. Also the light show in the evening time was excellent. Some of the guest stayed up and watched the moon go down behind the Pyrmids. Sadly I missed that due to tiredness.
Many thanks to Mr Gouda and his staff for helping make my stay a very good one.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Shajaratul A
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights in March 2012. This was not a bad place to stay and I would consider staying here again simply for the view (just for a night, not more), but I would not trip over myself at the chance to stay here again.

The view is amazing from the roof top, and it was a nice treat to see the pyramids in the morning and at sunset each evening, also, you can watch the English version of the sound and light show at no cost. The neighborhood is very noisy, you are next to the entrance of the pyramids, so a ton of salesmen are there trying to sell you everything, plus the sound and light show runs until 10 pm.

The asking price on the web site is $70 to $80 USD per night. I paid $40 USD a night. Anything more than that, and I think you would be better off staying somewhere else. There are plenty of places close to the pyramids and there are probably more restaurants to choose from, and fewer salesmen wanting to sell you stuff. The free airport pickup is dependant on the length of your stay, plus you need to ask for it, it wasn't offered.

There was only one decent restuarant and Koshary place within walking distance, and there was a small market store on the corner where you could get water at a good price.

The email communication was timely, I rarely waited more than a day for a reply, and upon arrival Mr. Gouda was very hospitable, very kind. Ahmed was helpful in getting a SIM card for my phone, and he walked with me to the restaurant and pharmacy to avoid the hassle from the salesmen.

The morning breakfast wasn't that good (omelet or boiled eggs, stale bread, cream cheese, coffee). Ask for the boiled eggs, much better than the bad omelet.

Be careful sitting on the furniture in the dinning area. There are a few small tables with nails sticking up. If you put your feet up, you stand a good chance of being poked.

The WIFI was free, but very slow and very unreliable.

Bathroom was fine, just an issue trying to regulate the hot and cold water, plus the tub is slippery, so put a towel down so you don't slip and break your neck. I couldn't sleep the first night, way too much street noise, so I moved to an interior room with no windows. The beds and pillows were not the most comfortable, but there was no noise. So get an interior room so you can sleep. Do ask for more TP.

If you don't have a tour already setup, I recommend that you DO NOT use the offered tour services. I originally was going to use Blue Cab Company to drive me from site to site, but Mr. Gouda offered Zaki (his son-in-law) and his car at the same price. The tour services weren't bad, but they weren't stellar either. I think I would have been better off with my guide book for information.

Flat out, I was lied too. I should have paid attention to some of the red flags and re-booked my remaining days with the cab company. I had planned a day to visit sites in the Fayoum Oasis and was told that the site El Lisht was closed. I had been in contact with a tour guide who is highly recommended on TA, and I was going to use his services for Coptic and Islamic Cairo. I asked him the next day if any sights like El Lisht were closed. He told me they were all open.

While in Fayoum, I wanted to see the ruins at Medinet Madi. Zaki said he had never heard of such a place. The driver, who is also an Egyptologist and tour guide, also said he had not heard of the place. I'm not an Egyptologist, but a simple Google search reveals all the information you ever wanted to know about Medinet Madi. The TA tour guide said he knew of Medinet Madi and would be more than happy to take me to the site.

There were additional red flags, such as, trying to talk me out of going to the Memphis outdoor museum, staying in the car while I visited the Citadel, and not wanting to drive through Garbage City to get to the view from the Moqattam Hills. In retrospect, a lot of effort was being put into not visiting the sites I wanted to see. If you are a tour guide and you don't have any enthusiasm to walk up the hill to the Citadel for the 10,000th time, you are in the wrong line of work.

I was pestered by Ahmed for tips, plus he was late getting the bad breakfast prepared on two days. Ahmed's father even asked me for tips and the man did nothing but sit outside the guest house! I was also asked to pay Mr. Gouda for my room halfway through my stay.

I stopped dropping my valuables off at the "safe," because the one daughter that was home seemed really annoyed each time I dropped off or picked up my items. I'm guessing the safe is a table in one of the rooms of the residential part of the guest house. Everything was safe in my room, but do lock it up mind you.

I was asked every other time I was in the shop on the ground floor to buy something and that I would get a discount. The items there are covered in an inch of dust too.

Not the worse experience, just annoying given the circumstances. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Zebra_45678
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our journey began at the airport where we were picked up by Zaki Fayed. The historical culture was explained in detail, he kept us very interested from the time we step into our ride to the Sphinx Guest House.

On arrival at the Sphinx Guest House, Mr Gouda Fayed himself came to greet us and gave us the full explanation to everything we need to begin our fabulous journey.

The hospitality extended to his wonderful home, where we had been introduced to his loving Family. We planned our tour with Zaki (the son-in law), where he drove us in a fully air conditioned car in comfort.He always left us breathless as we could not have had a better experience in his guided tour.

The Accommodation was well above what we had expected, with the view from our room and the Lounge. The room was offered with large space, a bathroom, air conditioning, fan and Fridge/Freezer and WiFi all in working order. The Breakfast choice was with compliments to the Chef Ahmed, who came every morning to prepare our food at the times we had wished. Dinner was served with traditional foods every night, which left us very satisfied.

Mr Gouda Fayed is guided by his spiritual upbringing, which makes you part of his family with the kindness, honesty and embraces you into his world. He gave everything possible from his heart to make our stay memorable.

This Sphinx Guest House was definitely the best choice we had made,we spent most of our evenings on the roof watching the pyramid light show that was amazing as we are right in front of the pyramids.

Thanks to Gouda and his Family for the great hospitality. The guest house is definitely a Jem in Egypt well worth visiting. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple