We’ve just come back from 3 nights in Cairo and 7 nights in Luxor and stayed at the Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx booking through Virgin and flying with Egypt Air (Egypt Air exceeded expectation after reading reviews – we had person touch screen TV’s with movies etc). Virgin were great also, arranging the holiday over the telephone with much better rates than other travel companies provided. The hotel is in a good location, about 5 mins in the taxi or 20 mins to walk. We stayed in a room opposite to the ones overlooking the garden (so not such a nice view). However this wasn’t a problem because after reading the other reviews we were more concerned about the noise of the traffic and thankfully there was hardly any noise in our room. The room was fine, clean, twin beds, nice shower (and maybe a little dark if you care about that sort of thing!). We had breakfast each morning mainly enjoying fried eggs on toast and fruit, but they did have other things like beef sausage, beef bacon and some baked beans (Egyptian style!). We had dinner once in the Romeo & Juliet Italian restaurant which was nice enough, my wife had penne arrabiata and I had grilled chicken in a mushroom sauce, veg & fries. The second night we fancied some traditional English food so got a taxi to the Indian restaurant!, at the Mena House Oberia hotel (5 mins in a taxi, paying ~£1 there and ~£2 on the way back). This was a nice restaurant with good food, but a little expensive (top tip: beer is ~£2 more expensive so have your drinks back at the Mecure!). The hotel did have another restaurant (roof top) but was not open. The pool area is pleasant, no problem getting a sun bed. Gym looks good, we intended to use it but never got the chance.
We booked our holiday at short notice and didn’t really know how to get around once we arrived in Cairo so used Trip Adviser to find and book a local guide. We booked Mohammed Bahaa, ranked number 3. I would definitely recommend this as he knew where to go, the history and drove us around for the two days (please see my review for more information: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g294201-d2071213-r126677094-Mohamed_Bahaa_Private_Tour_Guide-Cairo.html).
If you are a bit nervous about travelling to Egypt due to the recent revolution, have no fear, everywhere is safe and the Egyptian people seem to be very happy with the outcome. There’s a lot of visible security are their main revenue stream is from tourism so the main travel areas are well looked after. There is a distinct lack of tourists which is causing a bit of a squeeze on the industry and country, and they really do need our support so don’t hesitate to go whilst it’s quiet and get some great photo’s without swarms of tourists!
We stayed at the Hilton Luxor Resort and Spa in Luxor which definitely has the X factor! You can read my review here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g294205-d305085-r127149100-Hilton_Luxor_Resort_Spa-Luxor_Nile_River_Valley.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT.
Go on and book your holiday, one of the most amazing places in the world!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx combines an exciting location & incomparable service. This impressive hotel offers its guests a unique opportunity to explore the historical surroundings in total comfort & convenience. Located in a magnificent park at the foot of the Giza Pyramids & the Sphinx, 35 km from Cairo international airport, this 5-star hotel is ideal for leisure & relaxation seekers with its various recreational facilities as well as business trips with its two fully equipped meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, ACCOR, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel Giza
- Sofitel Hotel Giza
- Sofitel Giza
- Giza Sofitel
- Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Egypt/Giza