“Better than expected”

Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Booked the hotel at heathrow after having to switch destinations at the last minute , and it far exceeded my expectations as hotel standards in Egypt are usually below what the usual standard would be. I would give this a strong 3 stars.

Pros
Good breakfast ( try and get it included in the room rate )
Good sized room
Fridge
Tea and coffee plus kettle in room
Flat screen tv with a couple of English movie channels
Balcony with chair
Good bed linen and towels
Great power shower ( no bath )
Good toiletries
Safe
Good breakfast
Wifi in lobby and round pool for free

Cons
No free wifi in rooms
Freezing very deep pool ( but there was a life guard all the time )
Limited menu for restaurant and room service expensive
Charged you to play pool upstairs

Would stay again

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading the standard rooms are very good .
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank EatSleepShootTravel
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you for posting your review on Trip advisor. We very much appreciate your comments, it was a real pleasure serving you throughout your past visit.

In Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx we strive to continuously improve the hotel facilities and services to meet with our guests' needs and expectations.

I will share your comments with the hotel team members which definitely will serve as an encouragement to permanently develop the quality of service.

Meanwhile we hope you become a regular guest and we look forward for your next visit.

With all our best wishes

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We used Booking.com and prepaid for 3 nights, well in advance...what a mistake! When we arrived by airport limo, the guards at the front gate rolled us for several Egyption pounds, just to drop us at the front door...not to park, just to drop us off...I found this really tacky and expected more from a supposedly reputable establishment.

Thinking it would be a romantic and luxurious getaway, I had booked a "pyramid view" room - what a joke (see attached photo). The carpeting in the hallways is filthy and ancient and really just made me sad.

Internet is in the range of $25 per day in room though "free" (very slow) in the lobby.

Positives: breakfast buffet was quite nice, free bowl of welcome fruit in nicely appointed room (with bathtub!), comfortable beds and linens, a few English language channels on TV and walking distance from Pyramids and Sphinx (though far from anything else so one night is more than enough on this end of town). Also lovely lobby, bar and outdoor pool with pyramid view.

The hotel did allow us to move to the room just above us with a slightly better view of the pyramids after our first night. It was a little shocking, however, that they had us waiting for several hours to confirm this would happen so that we could move our own luggage. After checking in and finding our own way/carrying our own bags to our first room, I finally asked, "Is there anyone who knows how to help with luggage in this five star hotel?" and they did arrange to have our packed bags moved while we visited the pyramids. I had to laugh when my husband (who prefers budget hostels) said, "Wow. They even carried our bags at the $2 per night place in Nepal! What's going on with this place?". It's embarrassing to turn into THAT GUEST but this place really brought out the "I feel ripped off and not cared for" in me.

My biggest complaint is the the rude behavior and covert contempt from the staff. It seemed that everywhere I walked, a Mercure employee was about to run me down with a cart, jump in front of me at the instant coffee machine, etc. Even as I type now at their beautiful marble bar drinking a $4 lemonade, a manager is barking loudly at the bartender and tossing papers about, inches from my head...I want to ask if my sitting here is a problem and if there's somewhere out of their way they'd like me to move. Although we have now been waiting nearly an hour for a burger and I hate to give up just before the miracle.

Food and drinks are at the quintessential chain hotel overpriced levels and it is forbidden to bring any food in from outside...you can eat at Pizza Hut down the street that has a great view of the Sphinx if you can get through the crowds of taxi drivers, tauts and hawkers.

I recommend booking directly through the hotel website, last minute for best rates, NOT through booking.com or a prepaid non-refundable source.

Room Tip: Don't bother to pay extra for pyramid view...they are obstructed and you will get more than your...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SpaProf
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Thank you for your constructive comments, please be rest assured that we are taking the necessary measures to continuously elevate the hotel facilities and the quality of service.

Constant team training is one of our top priorities to ensure that the best service is always afforded to our valuable guests.

I hope you give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Perfect hotel for visiting the Pyramids, good value for money, the restaurant a little expensive compared to quality of food

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

I am delighted to read that the accommodations and service were up to your expectations, as complete satisfaction is our goal.

Together with my team, we would much appreciate to welcoming you as a regular guest and we are looking forward for your next visit.

We wish you all the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We’ve just come back from 3 nights in Cairo and 7 nights in Luxor and stayed at the Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx booking through Virgin and flying with Egypt Air (Egypt Air exceeded expectation after reading reviews – we had person touch screen TV’s with movies etc). Virgin were great also, arranging the holiday over the telephone with much better rates than other travel companies provided. The hotel is in a good location, about 5 mins in the taxi or 20 mins to walk. We stayed in a room opposite to the ones overlooking the garden (so not such a nice view). However this wasn’t a problem because after reading the other reviews we were more concerned about the noise of the traffic and thankfully there was hardly any noise in our room. The room was fine, clean, twin beds, nice shower (and maybe a little dark if you care about that sort of thing!). We had breakfast each morning mainly enjoying fried eggs on toast and fruit, but they did have other things like beef sausage, beef bacon and some baked beans (Egyptian style!). We had dinner once in the Romeo & Juliet Italian restaurant which was nice enough, my wife had penne arrabiata and I had grilled chicken in a mushroom sauce, veg & fries. The second night we fancied some traditional English food so got a taxi to the Indian restaurant!, at the Mena House Oberia hotel (5 mins in a taxi, paying ~£1 there and ~£2 on the way back). This was a nice restaurant with good food, but a little expensive (top tip: beer is ~£2 more expensive so have your drinks back at the Mecure!). The hotel did have another restaurant (roof top) but was not open. The pool area is pleasant, no problem getting a sun bed. Gym looks good, we intended to use it but never got the chance.

We booked our holiday at short notice and didn’t really know how to get around once we arrived in Cairo so used Trip Adviser to find and book a local guide. We booked Mohammed Bahaa, ranked number 3. I would definitely recommend this as he knew where to go, the history and drove us around for the two days (please see my review for more information: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g294201-d2071213-r126677094-Mohamed_Bahaa_Private_Tour_Guide-Cairo.html).

If you are a bit nervous about travelling to Egypt due to the recent revolution, have no fear, everywhere is safe and the Egyptian people seem to be very happy with the outcome. There’s a lot of visible security are their main revenue stream is from tourism so the main travel areas are well looked after. There is a distinct lack of tourists which is causing a bit of a squeeze on the industry and country, and they really do need our support so don’t hesitate to go whilst it’s quiet and get some great photo’s without swarms of tourists!

We stayed at the Hilton Luxor Resort and Spa in Luxor which definitely has the X factor! You can read my review here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g294205-d305085-r127149100-Hilton_Luxor_Resort_Spa-Luxor_Nile_River_Valley.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT.

Go on and book your holiday, one of the most amazing places in the world!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew P

We wish you all the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights prior to a Nile Cruise. The main areas of the hotel were lovely but the corridors and guest rooms were very tired and badly in need of refurbishment. We stayed on B&B but ate dinner in the hotel's restaurant and had a lunch at the pool snack bar. The food was excellent and good value for money. I would not advocate exploring the area outside as we were pestered from the moment we stepped out of the hotel ... I know this is typical Egyptian culture but we found it quite intimidating, particularly when one chap offered us "protection" and indicated to a gun he had on his belt - he followed us for a good 5 mins before disappearing off down a side street when he got no response from us! Granted this was in April/May 2011, just after the revolution, but it was quite an eye opener.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jacksgrandma05
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2012

Thank you for choosing Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx for your recent visit. We are delighted to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and our services had met with your liking.

We are keen to continuously develope and improve the hotel facilities and services to profoundly illustrate the values our guests expect from us.

With our ongoing endeavours to promote the hotel, we hope to welcome you again in the very near future so that you may feel by yourself the worth of progression.

Meantime we wish you all the best in your personal and professional life.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I have just had 3 nights here with our 13 month old daughter and can not rate this hotel enough. The staff are very friendly and ever so helpful. Maybe due to the fact that the hotel was operating at less than 50% we had extra treatment but I'm sure it's the same whatever the capacity. The food is good and well priced and the location is fab. From our room we can see the pyramids. Lovely clean rooms and the pool area is spotless. Definatly recommend. Thank you to all the staff

Craig jones

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Billingbat
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

We highly appreciate your positive comment on Trip Advisor. We are really pleased we were able to accommodate to your needs and that your recent stay in Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx was an enjoyable one.

We have been reading a lot of positive comments but your special one will give us a great boost to our efforts in not just to maintain but continously improve our quality of service to meet with every aspect of guest comfort and convenience.

Certainly your comments will be of great encouragement to the hotel staff therefore I will share your positive comment with them.

We hope to see you as a regular guest and in meantime we look forward to welcoming you in the very near future.

Wishing you all the best.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

While this was an okay hotel and our group tour stayed there, it was imposible to sleep at all on Friday or Saturday night due to horns honking all night long. This was especially annoying since we were jet lagged and really needed a sound sleep. If you stay at this hotel make sure you bring high decibel rate ear plugs if you want any sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that is somehow on the inside but even then you might hear the traffic horn...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mtn1moma
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

We thank you very much for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay.

Please be assured that we take all the necessary measures to identify means of development and improvement to elevate the quality of service.

We are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again where you would experience and touch the value of progression.

If you have any questions or comments regarding this matter please feel free to contact me to
h1789-fo@accor.com