“Superb!”

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Cairo, Egypt
“Superb!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Mena House Hotel at the foot of the Great Pyramids in Cairo is nothing short of spectacular. It perfectly meets the expectations, and wildest imagination of travellers who come to Egypt seeking a luxurious adventure and old colonial charm.

The building is a treasure in itself adorned on the outside with period woodwork from over 100 years ago, and the interior is just stunning with enormous, and intricately ornate chandeliers, wall decor and touches of grandeur in every nook, cranny, and corner.

The service is impeccable, and the staff hold a certain old school Egyptian etiquette which is hard to come across in modern Cairo. And I think you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else in Egypt steeped in so much history, with a list of historical celebrity guests including foreign dignitaries like Winston Churchill, Monty and others.

The location at the foot of the pyramids means you wake up every morning to the only surviving wonder of the world. And not only does it serve as a fantastic location for visitors, but also as an excellent place to escape the city all the while staying in the city for locals.

In short - its a must see, and must stay.

Room Tip: More than half the rooms in the hotel face the the Giza pyramids - make sure you book one of those e...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is a gem and the old building feels unreal. The newer wing has a bit less personality, but maybe it's just me. The location is one of a kind: right next to the pyramids... I was able to visit them at 8am, almost alone. Priceless.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old wing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrAlberto041
tareklotfy62, Director of Marketing at Mena House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Mr. Alberto,

Thank you so much for your feedback and comments on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your generous feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Mena House was included as part of a tour package I signed up with Ask Aladdin, out of Egypt. I decided to pick the 5 star hotel package, as opposed to the 4 star....evident there is a big difference. It was the first place I stayed during the tour. I was pleased with the Mena House. The view of the great pyramid from the room's balcony was amazing. The service was excellent! The food was great. Keep in mind, with all 5 star hotel...regardless of country...expect to grab your luggage and transfer them to your room for a tip. The pool was way cool! Would stay here again! They are nicer hotels, such as the Fairmont, near the airport, and where we stayed on the way out of Egypt. But if visiting Giza and the great Pyramid....this is the best place to,stay.

A word about security. It was never a problem and I never felt threatened. Egyptians are great people who love tourist. This is a great time to visit as rates are reduced everywhere and all attractions you will have almost to yourself! I didn't really want to navigate the whole process by myself, so this is why I paid more and had Ask Aladdin set it all up for me. FYI, they did a fantastic job!

Room Tip: Tell you want a room with the Pyramid view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JCOKUSA
Dear Mr. JCOK,

Strasburg, Colorado
Reviewed 7 June 2014

this was our first time in Giza, lucked out with this selection. THE BEST pyramid views and outstanding breakfast. two layers of security for some reason and the staff were very helpful. was told this place was built in the 1800s so you notice the history.. very clean and comfy rooms.

Room Tip: save your money and don't get the rooms with the view. odd are you're here to see the pyrami...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Strasburg_Allen
Dear Mr. Allen,

california
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We arrived after dark and had no idea that the pyramids were across the street. What a wonderful surprise the next morning! Our first view of them was from this amazing oasis and then we got to "sit with them" during breakfast in the beautiful restaurant. Be sure to have your camera ready as you walk through the grounds!
BTW, because we arrived late, we ordered room service for dinner. What a nice surprise to discover that even the spaghetti was outstanding!

Room Tip: We were in one of the newer rooms and had trouble with the room being too cold. Turning off the AC...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rtyler
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place is having a lot of history specially when you visit the rooms in the main building.
They are very good. It's like the hidden great place. It's not like the famous hotel brand names around the world.
Business, vacation, or just if you want to visit the restaurant believe me you will enjoy it.

Having a breakfast with Pyramids view is something unique :)
I do really love this place

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I decided to book this hotel because it was really close to the Pyramids . I came to Egypt for the first time for my annual solo bday vacation . By the time I got to the Mena house I was super exhausted . I was on day 16 of my vacation , I had already traveled to sharm, Aswan, and Luxor . By the time I got to Cairo, I just wanted to relax , and I have to say I picked the perfect place to do that. My room was facing the Pyramids dead on , so I could either sit on my patio and look at them or lay in my bed and look at them. It was definitely nice and relaxing , and I didn't really feel the need to leave my room . I ordered room service the first day , I had Thai food , can't exactly remember what it was called , but it was pretty much noodles with chicken. It was excellent .

The second day , I went to the pyramids so I didn't really hang out at the hotel much . I did have dinner there . I had the Lasagna and it was also good.
The strawberry Margaritas were pretty good too.

I hung out at the bar for a little bit , but it wasn't busy at all due to the lack of tourism , so I never stayed long.

The last night I had the Thai noodle and chicken again , because that's how good it was.

My room was very clean , and the shower pressure was great. I will say they need to upgrade all the TVs to flat screens though .
The first room I had there was a flat screen , but I changed rooms for a better view and that had the older tv.
So I'm sure they are working on changing them all out .

The staff was very friendly and attentive. Anytime I stepped out of my room everyone always wanted to know if I needed help with anything , or if I had any concerns, or problems.

The gym was pretty good for a hotel, free weights , about 10 machines , and of course cardio equipment . I was impressed :)

One thing I wasn't happy with was that wifi was not available in the rooms . I believe they have the dial up one though in the rooms . However , you can get wifi in the lobby if you pay for it . I am one of those people that likes to be constantly hooked up to the Internet, especially when I'm traveling alone, so it may not be a big deal if you're hanging out with family, or out and about all day.

Overall , I enjoyed my stay at this place. It was perfect for just relaxing .

Room Tip: Book a pyramids view room Obviously :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LacySpikes
TarekLotfy2, Director of Marketing at Mena House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Ms. Spikes,

Tarek Lotfy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa
Pyramids View Inn
Pyramids View Inn
#1 of 41 in Giza
Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence
Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Barcelo Cairo Pyramids
Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah

Been to Mena House Hotel? Share your experiences!