I stayed here because I wanted to stay in the same hotel my grandmother had stayed at many years before (when it was an Oberoi hotel). I booked through an online travel agency and the room rate was for a pyramid view room with internet. On arrival, they said that was a mistake an no internet was included. After I showed them online that the agreement showed complimentary internet, they still were trying t argue with me. Finally, after much discussion, one of the managers relented and said they would deal with the online travel agency to sort out the matter and I would get internet. They asked if we wanted two wifi access, or if we wanted one wi-fi and one cable access since there were two of us, and the wifi access was for only one device. We opted for the latter, and because the cable internet was the only thing available in the room, we never went to the front desk to renew the wi-fi access after the first 24 hours. Good thing too, because they still ended up adding the internet charge to my room for the wi-fi access....something I only found out at check out when we were in a hurry to catch a flight--conveniently preventing us from being able to make our point and speak to the same manager who had "cleared up" the internet situation the first time. So, we payed for it ($25 dollars per day per access!!) and went on our way. I felt this was dishonest.
This is not the hotel it once was. Unless you are booking directly from their website (at inflated prices) you will not be staying in the historic portion of the hotel--which is where you think you will be staying from the pictures. Your room will be further away from the pyramids, and will be a "newer" construction with shoddy electrical access---never have I actually needed to make use of a power converter (in addition to a plug adapter) other than what is already included in my travel devices--there were spikes and valleys in the power so the charging of my camera battery/lap top/etc was inconsistent.
I would not stay here again, and since there are so many options for pyramid view rooms in giza, I would go elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mena House is one of the most unique hotels in Cairo, with its own rich and colourful history. Surrounded by 40 acres of verdant green gardens, this palatial hotel is located in the shadows of the Great Pyramids of Giza in Cairo. The royal history of the hotel is reflected in luxurious interiors that are embellished with exquisite antiques, handcrafted furniture, original work of arts and magnificent antiques that are rarely found in luxury hotels. Mena House has played host to kings and emperors, Heads of State and celebrities. The Mena House located 700 meters from these wonders of the ancient world offers unmatched views of the pyramids. You can gaze upon the magnificence of the pyramids from your rooms at sunrise and sunset. After dinner at one of the many restaurants, you can return to see them lit up for your private viewing pleasure. An ideal location for meetings in Cairo, the hotel's banquets and conference centre offer venues for weddings, receptions and meetings ranging from 50 to 1000 guests. Recreation options at the hotel include a heated swimming pool, a fully equipped Fitness Centre and Spa. Regarded as one of the leading luxury hotels in Cairo, the hotel combines the magical charm of a bygone era with unrivalled service fit for royalty. Your interlude at the hotel promises to be a journey of discovery, exploring Cairo's ancient treasures and unravelling the many mysteries of Egypt's past. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Hotel.de, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Mena House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mena House Oberoi Hotel Giza
- Oberoi Hotel Giza
- Oberoi Hotel Mena
- Oberoi Giza
- Mena Oberoi
- Mena House Giza
- Giza Oberoi
- Mena House Hotel Egypt/Giza