“A Nice Hotel In Cairo”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
“A Nice Hotel In Cairo”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of a tour through Egypt, and then at the end of the tour. When we arrived in Egypt (around 4 a.m.) our guide was not available to meet us at the airport due to a strike with Egypt Air that had delayed our arrival. The hotel staff were accommodating by allowing us to check in early in the morning, although we did have to wait in the bar (which was fine with us) for our room to be prepared. While it took a little getting used to the police and guards at the entry to the hotel, and if sitting in the hotel entry lounge area the metal detector seemed to go off a bit, but did not distract the guards much, we found the hotel comfortable. At one point I had to call home, and while I could not be sure, it appeared to me that the hotel operator was listening to our call, but I may have been mistaken. The grounds of the hotel are very nice. During our first stint at the hotel, we were placed next to the tennis courts, which did not offer that nice of a view. However, on our return, our room was near finely kept trees and greenery, with a little table and chairs set off in a shaded area on the lawn where cats frolicked. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were responsive. The "Italian" restaurant at the hotel would not get high marks, but the restaurant on the ground floor served one of the best meals I had during my entire trip in Egypt (garlic rice, almond soup, grilled sea bass, and potato croquets). We found it very relaxing to sit by the pool and drink wine, smoke shisha, and write in our journals. The staff were a little slow, but polite. It was interesting that they preferred to be paid with crisp bills. If they were torn or damaged in any way they would request a different bill. The AC in the rooms were all controlled by the entry key, which sometimes was problematic as the room would be stuffy upon our return. We had thought the hotel would overlook the pyramids, but it does not. However, they are close. The hotel served breakfast, which was fairly good compared to other meals we had while we were in Egypt. The hotel had limited wines, to our recollection there were primarily two, and we chose the Omar Khyam, which is a little strong. The hotel did not have free internet services, although at some points during the day we could watch CNN World on the CRT television. If we are in Cairo again, we would stay at this hotel. It was quite comfortable and was, indeed, like a gated Oasis in the middle of a bustling city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gottesfreunde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights as part of a group tour starting and ending in Cairo. Due to the still negative image for Egypt at this time my group tour ended up being a personal tour with no single supplements and the guides all to myself! Stayed in 3 hotels on the tour all good and the Oasis Hotel no exception. It really is an oasis in what seemed to me the wrecked city of Cairo. Set in lovely gardens the rooms are resort style with nice pool and bar/restaurant area. very many rooms which were very comfortable and clean, excellent value. Again the hotel was almost empty so the advertised entertainment and services were not available. Which is understandable. Reception area is dated but not bad. Food in the bar was good and breakfast ok. Service slow but ok this is Egypt. More staff than guests but that was my finding all over Egypt at the time of my visit. The Spa/sauna facilities were good, an added bonus. Location good for the pyramids but not good in terms of walking somewhere. Located on a busy road only possible to go anywhere by car. One other small negative, no free wifi. $3 per half hour.... in hostels it free but in any reasonable hotel you have to pay. in this day, why?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Markwp74
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is probably not the best in town if you are looking out for but what Oasis offers you is a clean and comfortable stay.. The service is a bit slow as there were few staffs when we went there but their food in the Bedouin restaurant is lip smacking...The entire property gives an impression of lush green lawns in the heart of the dessert...Rooms are clean and comfortable with individual AC control for rooms...
If you are looking for a comfortable stay at a decent price this is teh place to be in...

Room Tip: Any room chosen would be equally good but a pool view is always better...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pri0103
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a tour arranged by "Tours in Israel" and "Sylvia Tours", 2 excellent tour companies which we highly recommend. Whilst perhaps showing its age a little the hotel is a very comfortable resort style property very close to the Pyramids. We stayed in one of the chalets in a quiet spot at the rear of the hotel and were very pleased with all aspects of our room. Meals were excellent with breakfast included and a good choice of well priced food for dinner with very reasonably priced wine. Our only complaint was with the lack of free internet which we found was common in Egypt.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adelaideview
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed here as part of a tour group that travelled through all of egypt, and this was my favourite hotel of the trip. Although some small things could be updated, the general atmosphere of this hotel was great. Staff were friendly and very interesting people if you took the time to talk to them! The restaurants inside the hotel served good meals, and the included breakfast was really good! The rooms themselves were comfortable, though I thought bedding was a little uncomfortable. Location was good and very close to the pyramids, though with Egyptian traffic try and plan to leave the hotel out of peak times as the traffic is insane!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank aussiebb
Pacifica, California, Usa
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I'm an American, travelled solo to Egypt August 26-30 and spent four nights at the Oasis. This is a resort styled hotel facility. Multiple restaurants, pool, laundry service, room service, etc. I marked four on rating scale as the hotel is what it advertises. However, that said, I do think future travelers should be aware of these items: a) there is no swimming in the pool after sunset...precisely the time I wanted to as I was out every day, b) the internet was down for almost a full day and it crippled my communications. It costs 80 Egyptian pounds per day for the internet (about 9 Euros). c) there is NO gift shop where you can buy ANY toiletries, snacks, beverages, etc. Be sure to bring an ample supply with you. On the positive side, the continental breakfast was open promptly at 6 AM and was well stocked, no complaints whatever. Staff for the most part very friendly, more so among the secondary players (laundry, room service, waiters, porters). The front entrance is gated and guarded. And, in these times of uncertainty, there are military, police and some 'private' security check points at major intersections, airports, roads and buildings..I would advise not venturing too far out alone.

Should I return to Giza in the near future I may stay at the Oasis again but my normal routine is to try other places, just for variety.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Amazing, service, price, rooms, facilities... will defo go back
food and drink was great, but there breakfasts had a lot of varity.
not far from the pyramids, spa/gym next door too, pool was amazing, cleanliness was 100% everywhere... look forward to going back.

everyone there is helpfull and keen to make your stay comfortable.

Room Tip: dont forget to tip the porters
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends