“Worst Hotel I have ever stayed at”
Review of Indiana Hotel

and 1 more site!
Indiana Hotel
Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Giza
London, United Kingdom
“Worst Hotel I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

The subject says it all. This honestly was the worst hotel I ever stayed at. I think I stayed here for a total of 3 days as part of a TopDeck tour. Check-in staff are blasé and don’t care.

The rooms are filthy. I had to sleep in a sleeping bag on top of the bed.
The bathrooms almost made me vomit and I had to tip toe everywhere in my flip flops. I understand Egypt is not a modern developed country but I have been to other countries of similar status and found much better hotels and customer service.

There is a Sheraton a couple of minutes walk away and I actually went there a few times to use the facilities.

Breakfast can be described as poor at best. The plates or not even clean...it’s hit and miss, some are some aren’t. The furniture and decor in general is very dated and stained.

On the plus side, the location is decent and some fast food outlets and convenience stores nearby. The area seemed fairly safe when strolling outside.

Basically I would avoid this hotel. Having experienced this place, I would never stay at a so called 3 star in Egypt again. Spend a bit more and at least get a clean room and bathroom

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank smEssex79
Indianahotel, Manager at Indiana Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Our Dear Respected Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a your review of Indiana Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked.

However, Life had changed a lot since your visit to us in February 2011, it is almost a year now !
Even Cairo Sheraton is Completely Closed Now due to problems, and do not forget that this was during the Egyptian Revolution, were the whole country was at a crisis time.

Moreover, I would like to point out the fact that almost all the recent reviews in the last 8months gave us 4 and 5 stars and the guests were completely satisfied and Praised our service and cleanliness , and they also Praised our staff and how they are very friendly and helpful.

Kindly also note that we had renovated a lot of areas and rooms according to a plan we are working on, and we will continue to renovate the rest in Indiana Hotel as planned.

Moreover, we are always taking all the reviews in our consideration as we strive to correct any problem, and give the best service to our guests.

Please know that I will immediately address your concerns with my team to ensure that these types of mistakes are addressed and corrected.

Dear Guest again I am sorry for any inconvenience, and we do hope that you will stay with us again in the not-too-distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The hotel is not a five starred one, but it provides you the best value mainly for its location, price and the service. Indiana Hotel is Located in middle of everywhere you want to go in Giza! Moreover, it offers you the good basic accommodation with the right price that you need.

I stayed in a standard room during January. Room was nice, clean and well maintained. TV is old but has decent channel selection. Also the free buffet breakfast is adequate.

For backpackers, or even for a family, I think the place is right. Some shops, Domino’s Pizza, KFC and a good supermarket are just within walking distance.

One appreciation is the service. The staffs, the front office, restaurant and the room service staffs are very competent, smiley and so helpful. I did really feel at home Thank you guys !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
24 Thank Ethan J
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Indiana Hotel is in a great location in heart of Giza, and a great home base to tour Egypt. It's not the Four Seasons; rather, it's a quaint, local hotel that's much more indicative of the culture and environment. The hotel itself is not big but aesthetically nice. The lobby is comfortable and there are plenty of places to lounge. Breakfast is included in the rate; it's buffet-style, pretty decent. Moreover, the Staff is very friendly and helpful.
I was in room 312, it was huge and clean, and the bathroom is modern. My only gripe was that my mattress was a little firm. However, after a full day of sightseeing in the city at I can hardly remember falling asleep!
Certainly I Would Recommend Indiana Hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
20 Thank bethrichie
Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel,we really appreciate it.

To reach a great guest experience is a must for us at Indiana Hotel, and we work very hard for it,.

South Africa
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This hotel deserves no stars!! We experienced a horrible stay at this hotel... even though we stayed in a suit room! The beds were rock hard, stains on the sheets, bathroom had no shower door which caused the whole room to flood with water, toilet leeked.. & the rooms were not clean & guest service did not exist. Hand towels we not provided even after numerous calls to reception.
Breakfast consisted of bread rolls, cake, eggs, tea & coffee - very poor in terms of variety.. the tea cups had brown rims around it, jugs were filty, tea & coffee kettles were rusted!! this was really really disappointing & disgusting!
i would suggest if staying here to go out to TGI Fridays, Grand Cafe, Fusion etc to grab a good lunch/dinner - near the nile boardwalk - 20 Egy pounds will get you there - the atmosphere will be worth the trip..
Overall i would not recommend staying at this hotel - we ended up here due to change of itinerary / transit stay... ;(

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel!!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank P_0683
Indianahotel, Manager at Indiana Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Our Dear Respected Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a constructive review of Indiana Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked.

However, I would like to point out the fact that almost all the recent reviews in the last 6 months gave us 4 and 5 stars and the guests were completely satsfied and Praised how comfortable the beds are in indiana hotel and that rooms are very clean, and they also Praised our staff and how they are very friendly and helpful, so may be it is was a "One Time" problem that you had faced, and I assure you this will never happen again.

Kindly also note that we had renovated a lot of areas and rooms according to a plan we are working on, and soon we will continue to renovate the rest in Indiana Hotel.

Dear Guest I thank you again for your constructive review and we do hope that you will stay with us again in the not-too-distant future.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed at the Indiana Hotel for 2 nights.Of the 3 hotels we stayed in whilst we toured around Egypt, the reception staff at the Indiana Hotel gave us the best welcome! They couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

There was a Wedding on one night that we stayed but this did not affect the service we received at all.

The room was nice, clean and airy with Very comfy beds - we had a great night's sleep. Moreover, we had dinner on the 2 nights, it was very good but I would have liked some lighter options -e.g. melon, sorbet, fruit salad

I recommend this hotel to all and I would like to thank all staff at Indiana hotel for their lovely hospitality and We would be happy to stay again if we revisit Egypt.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the pool view it is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
21 Thank Lucas T

Rhodes, Greece
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We loved our stay here at Indiana Hotel. First, the location was fantastic for exploring everything Cairo has to offer. Location is really important in Cairo because regardless of how much you love the hot weather the heat between about 12noon and 2pm is unrelenting so you need a base to come back to for a swim and some air-con.
Second, the Hotel has been clearly renovated recently in a great way. We stayed 2 nights in the pool view room on the upper level. The bedroom was spacious with lovely windows. It was attractively furnished, clean and functional. The bathroom was new and the modern amenities worked perfectly. The Pool is cool and refreshing. There are plenty of small interesting spots to sit in and specially the rooftop café with the amazing views at night (as others have posted!).
The staff were really genuine and lovely. We had some great conversation with them and they gave us some good tips.
Overall, I cannot fault the experience we had at Indiana Hotel and I would most certainly recommend this amazing hotel to anyone going to Cairo.

Room Tip: we heeded the advice of other travellers on trip advisor and booked a room on the upper level. We di...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
19 Thank Jade P
Indianahotel, General Manager at Indiana Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011

Australind, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I traveled alone for the first time to Egypt Being female and alone the staff could not do enough for me. The Hotel was very secure and all services and amenities were as advertised.
The hotel was clean and the restaurant provided room service which was excellent.
One example, I slept in and missed my pick up time for a tour. The staff arranged to have a taxi take to an alternative close by pickup point, and they rang and rang and knocked on the door until I woke up (I am a very heavy sleeper). WOW I made it. So impressed.
Other examples the reception staff spoke English perfectly and we had great conversation.
House keeping were great also nothing was a problem.
They made me feel welcome and I felt at home there.
I met other overseas regulars who stayed there for the same reason..
I know I will be back when I return to Egypt
Thank you for all you help Indiana all is appreciated.
Room Tip. I loved the 7th floor

Room Tip: I loved the 7th floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
21 Thank christina m

We are looking forward to seeing you soon again at Indiana Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Pharaohs Hotel & Casino
Aracan Pyramids Hotel
Holidays Express
Holidays Express
#96 of 137 in Cairo

Been to Indiana Hotel? Share your experiences!