“same hotel with no differance”

Grand Pyramids Hotel
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had visited this Hotel last year and reviewed. This year too I stayed there, I observed there, is none any big change. Yet it's worth to stay. Location is very good for Pyramid view. Otherwise not good location. Highest appreciable is very good breakfast and dinner. Lobby staff and other service is fairly good.

Room Tip: Pyramid view side
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JosephFPereira
There are newer reviews for Grand Pyramids Hotel

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were booked in during our 2 days sightseeing in Cairo. The tourism industry has been hit very badly by the current situation and the hotel was not full, but the staff were really friendly and helpful. Rooms were very comfortable, but showing signs that some renewal is necessary. Breakfast was excellent and the hotel is well situated for the Pyramids and Giza attractions. Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greg W
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked this hotel as it is quite close to the Pyramids of Giza and away from the center of Cairo. As this was my first ever visit to Egypt, I wanted a place where I could see the culture and learn more about the people. I didn't want to be in a tourist area.
When I got at the hotel I found the room not as clean as I expected it to be so I called the night manager whom was very apologetic and immediately sorted it out for me. He promised to change the room for me the next day and true to his word he did. For the rest of my holiday (10 days) my room was spotless and was very pleased.
The staff were extremely helpful to the extend that one of the salesgirl's at the shop lend me her personal charger to charge my mobile until I got a proper 2 pin adapter to use mine.
A BIG MISTAKE I did was to go to Egypt as a woman on my own because I was hassled a lot on the streets and couldn't walk alone properly to see the place the way I wished to do but the staff at the hotel made me feel at home and the only place I felt safe was in the hotel or when I was around with the hotel's taxi.
Ahmed the tour operator was very nice and helpful advising me where to go and on which days is best to go to certain places to avoid big crowds etc...Though I did give him a lot of trouble he was always very professional and did his best to meet my requests in the best possible way.
Hossam the Hotel's driver was very caring and prepared me in advance for certain problems that I might face in certain places and how to deal with them. I felt that most of the staff were very warm and caring and gave more than they are paid for to make sure that my stay was a pleasant one.
Breakfast was excellent and there was a big choice of food which was very fresh. I LOVED IT !!!!.
I only hat dinner once at the Hotel's Italian restaurant and was not as pleased with the food as the restaurants in the area. (That could be because I am Mediterranean myself so I know the food quite well)
On the last day the cleaner left a small surprise on my bed as farewell which I thought it was a very sweet gesture that made my day. (Picture is below)
Some people might find the beeping of horns a bit annoying but that again is allover the place. I think it's part of their culture that you need to beep the horn when you're driving.
On the whole, I cannot fault the hotel or the staff and I would be very happy to book there again if I ever go back to Cairo.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TrudelAjayi
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had booked 7 rooms at this hotel before Easter for a family destination wedding and was not disappointed. The hotel is a fair distance from the airport but when you get there its a very nice, clean, open and a calming place. The staff were very helpful and very efficient. Language is an issue with most of the working staff but the reception staff were always on hand to translate and sort out any issues. The best part of this hotel is an in house tour guide / operator. Ahmed is fluent in English and is an amazingly efficient friendly guy. He is the "go to" person for most of the guests and managed to arrange all the complex arrangements we had and made sure that we had no issues at all during our stay. Egypt is a country where everyone is out to get what they can from you, Ahmed was not only fair on all the prices but also gave very good advise on what to do.

For all footy fans, be vary as you may not get the UK games on the hotel screens but I can tell you that there is a sisha lounge 2 mins walk that shows all the live games and makes amazing coffee and mint tea.

Room Tip: If you need a double bed, insist on it. They will try and palm you off with a twin bed... Don't...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rafik D
Reviewed 14 April 2014

great hotel and amazing i don't ask for more in this hotel ,i stayed there for 5 days ,i'd like to go back sure nice food and clean rooms ,hope eygpt will be good like before ,miss this country lots.
reasonable prices

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marco T
Reviewed 7 April 2014

First of all, when we arrived, we were made to pay much more than what was advertised on Booking.com. in fact we paid in egptian pound but the receptionist gave us a dollar rate much more higher than the prevailing market price for the dollar, it was until the end of our stay, when I requested for a reciept that I realised we paid much more than what was on the reciept. Secondly the hotel room was very dirty, the toilet hadn't been cleaned well and there was alot of hair on the room carpets. we requested for the the room to be changed but no success. Thirdly, the staffs were like preys, they requested for tips for the smallest of assistance, for example a tip for pointing the direction of the toilet. Please avoid booking tours with the hotel's limosine company, we were forcefully taken to a perfume shop even though that was not part of the schedule. having paid 400 egpt pound for a tourt to the pyramids, the driver demanded a tip from us, upon given him, he protested that it was too small and made us pay for the fuel even though that was part of the tour fee..Everybody felt a sense of entitlement for my hard earned money Avoid this hotel, they are criminals.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank sasdm
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed here in early December 2013 for 4 nights as part of a tour. After 20+ hours on the plane from Australia it was depressing to end up in Giza in this hotel early in the morning.

The hotel is a block off the main road to the pyramids. The hotel has a flyover road out the front which provided 24hr traffic noise. Under the flyover was a canal of dirty water which had piles of rubbish and earth stacked on either side of the canal. The foyer of the hotel was a large marble edifice which was in dire need of a good clean. The hotel had a nice pool, palm trees, mock Bedouin tent (which we found was popular with people getting married on Thurs and Friday nights - you will hear fireworks - not gunfire so don't panic). However, we didn't come for a swim in the Egyptian winter. The hallways and public areas were dirty and smoky. The room was large with a view of a bit of a pyramid but the carpet was stained as was the cigarette burned sofa and dirty walls. There was no complimentary water, no kettle, no cups, no coffee/tea. Thankfully the bed was large inviting and comfortable. You could order a cup of tea via room service for a cost. We tried ordering a cup of tea in the foyer to drink there but obviously the reception staff thought we were mad and ignored my request.

After a sleep we ventured to the restaurant for dinner. The dining room was not connected to the hotel. We ventured out in the rain (yes it rained in Cairo for the next 2-3 days) past the pool, over the pavers, across the path and eventually found the sanctuary of the dining room. A covered walkway would have been very useful. I don't remember what we ate or much about the food but I do remember the one song that was played as background music over and over and over again. I also remember the crockery and wished I could have thrown it out. The same song was there at breakfast and dinner the following day and the following breakfast. The manager usually put it on after we sat down so that we could laugh and cry instantly we recognised the opening chords. Another song was never played the whole time we were there. I never worked out how the Egyptians who worked there could put up with it. One of life's mysteries I suppose.

After a couple days of rain the road outside the hotel had turned into a muddy torrent of water and due to the lack of drainage on the road the water just ran to the lowest spot. As the hotel didn't have a shop selling 'snack foods' we had to walk through the mud (no footpaths) up the road to the supermarket around the corner or the handy roadside seller 100m up the road. We became good mates with him as we bought litres of water, chocs and chips. The hotel did have a bank; a gold/jewellery shop and 2 souvenir shops. A snack shop would have been a real bonus. There were no restaurant/food outlets nearby so we were at the mercy of the hotel's dining room for 2 nights until we were rescued by our guide and started the tour.

The weather in Cairo during the 4 days we stayed there was very cold. A couple of days the temperature only got to 5-6 degrees and the wind chill factor made it feel colder and snow was reported in parts of the city. In our room there was an air conditioner but no heater. I can't say we were cold but we certainly weren't warm except fully clothed in bed.

We returned reluctantly to this hotel for our last night in Cairo. The room we were given on that occasion was better but my overall impression of the Grand Pyramids by this time was extremely negative. My digestive system ran up the white flag the 2nd night and didn't recover till we had left Egypt and were happily nestled down in Aqaba in Jordan. Don't stay here unless you come for the pool and lots of alcoholic beverages.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple