“favourite spot when in Aswan”
Review of Emy

Emy
Ranked #19 of 29 Restaurants in Aswan
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Charmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“favourite spot when in Aswan”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

go there for beer in the evenings and sometimes food too. Always welcoming. Emy can introduce you to monsarret mohamed who can arrange trips and stuff with reliable people. Drink with the nubian captains at your own risk.

1 Thank JulesTurner

London
“Better than it looks”
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We didn't try everything on the menu but the fish - grilled, fired, casseroled in tagine - was pretty good to excellent, the 'salads' pretty good apart from one awful humus - offered for free: basically salty minced chick-peas. Our very sensitive stomachs found nothing at all to complain of despite several visits and some raw salads. It looks insalubrious but has a great low-dive-type atmosphere and is great value. Not infrequently there is a party going on. Nice mixture of tourists and locals.

2 Thank Bin-Derdundhat
Melbourne, Australia
“Great for a beer!”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I didn't eat at Emy but it's great for a really ICE cold beer!!! And located right on the Nile!

2 Thank Tim B
New York
“one of my favorites, and it's on the Nile.”
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Emy's is a 2-deck boat plus an on-land restaurant, all open to the Nile. The menu seems to be the same from day to day, and everything we've had is very good. We've mainly had the hummus and other dips with warm pita bread, soups, and pasta, and lots of cold Stella or Sakara. You can't beat the location, and the prices are very low. This is a great place to run into other travellers or the man who earlier had sailed you around in his felucca. It's such a comfortable and welcoming place that we ate all our meals here during both our trips to Aswan.

1 Thank arleneNewYork
London, United Kingdom
“Decent lunch, avoid in the evenings; bring a calculator”
Reviewed 21 December 2008

We visited the Emy twice during our stay in Aswan.

Our first meal was a pleasant introduction to the town, with a table overlooking the river, and some enjoyable, well-cooked local fish. I was surprised by the figure on the final bill. This was because I did not realise that the Emy, like its neighbour the Salah al-Din, is afflicted by the wretched 'sales tax and service charge not included in menu prices' policy. I even tipped the waitress! Judging by the reaction of a fellow diner to his bill, I was not the only one surprised that afternoon.

Our second, evening, visit was less successful. The Emy had more an atmosphere of a pirate's den, with felucca captains drinking beer and smoking heroically (the Emy, unlike the Aswan Moon, serves alcohol) on a table beside us.

It took I am sure at least twenty minutes for our first course to be served, and I had to approach a waiter before it was forthcoming; the soup, naturally, was cold. Our main course came without the promised rice, which was delivered after complaint; it was noticeably warmer than the other food.

When the bill arrived, it did not agree with my mental arithmetic. Irritated by this stage, I retrieved the menu and wrote out my own bill. This was some 20% lower than the figure imagined by the waiter. After some discussions among the staff, my number was adjusted upward by E£1. We paid, and left disappointed and upset.

My maths is good, so I am happy to challenge fantasy prices. For those less confident who fancy sampling the Emy - bring a calculator.

1 Thank jimmcateer