“Stuffed pigeon at Al Masry Restaurant”
Review of El Masry

El Masry
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Aswan
Cuisines: Egyptian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We found this restaurant in the lonely planet Egypt book and it would be a shame for people to miss out on it, because it isn't listed on tripadvisor.
Reviewed 24 December 2011

On my last night at Aswan, I went out looking for the Al Masry restaurant to checkout the hype on this local restaurant.

I walked from my hotel to the souq and found it with a couple of asking for directions from local people at the souq.

Dining area is small with about 5 tables or so, TV showing arabic program. I found only two people taking their dinner both local, maybe because it's early in the evening or just not much tourists in Aswan.

I was handed with the menu and ordered the stuffed pigeon set meal. Plates and cutlery are fine, the set meal comes with salad, soup, rice, vegetable stew with sauce, tahini and bread. A bit pricey at EGP47.

The pigeon is stuffed with rice and the pigeon itself hasn't much meat on it, and I don't even know how to eat it, so basically you just eat the rice stuffed on it. The food is just ok for me, maybe the other set meals are better.

Hot beverage - I ordered the red tea that costs EGP5. I feel that it's expensive for what you get.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Wonderful food in a restaurant that doesn't look the best in terms of decor - but never judge a book by its cover. Fantastic food, huge quantities, freshly prepared. I Highly recommend the slight trouble it takes to find (just off the Souk).

1  Thank rhcasserley
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We went to this restaurant with tourists, I had been before and enjoyed, its basic Egyptian food but good quality & plenty of it! service was great I had Lamb great flavour and Robbi had the best flavoured chicken it was enormous glad she could not eat it all both Stuart & I finished it off WONDERFUL at so cheap price 35ep.. Just Off the Souk... enjoy we did!!!

2  Thank mchawkins1
Reviewed 31 July 2011

i went to that resturant i was not happy wasnot clean enough for a strong reasturant like al masry food was tebical egyptian service was local poor like there is in other resturant in the same city local exclant i wish for them to be better than now

1  Thank diaaeldin2000
Reviewed 29 April 2011

It's a really authentic place to eat. There are many more locals than the tourists and the service reflects it - efficient, good, without too much fuss. The food was plentiful, several dishes were complimentary, everything was really tasty. Compare to the hotel food it was heaven. Definitely would eat there again.