“Majestic Old Cataract”

Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Aswan
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We recently stayed at Old cataract hotel for two nights . We got an upgrade and we were impressed with the guest relation staff and the staff at the hotel. The hotel itself is breathtaking , We stayed in the main old building , had a nile view room , interior very beautiful . Room service staff was prompt and very professional . Breakfast was very nice , served at our table on terrace by staff . We dined at the hotel on both nights , food is alright .The restaurant manager and staff were very friendly ( well our toddler didn't get bored due to their hospitality ). We were among few other tourists in hotel as its not a tourist season in july , But staff took great care of us during our stay and made us want to come back someday . A little expensive in peak seasons I guess , but surely one must come here once . Not to forget the yummy dark chocolates provided in the evening during room service .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
OldCataractManagemnt, General Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying with us; your words about the staff and the hotel will encourage us to continue providing high level of service.

I am happy to see that you have enjoyed the service provided by our guest relations and room service team, I am also happy to see that you have enjoyed the food and beverage facilities.
We hope to see back in the future.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,293)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
1  Thank Samur07072014
OldCataractManagemnt, General Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This time last year, although I have many times visited Egypt, I made my first visit to the wonderful Old Cataract Hotel. I was made to feel so special that I decided to try to return and bring a group of friends along. The manager laid on his own car to transfer my group of five to and from the airport and my many requests for particular room arrangements were all met without any query or problem, all smoothly organised by the lovely Hanan in reservations.

The two staff mainly seen poolside Hussain and Ashraf could not do enough to please, and the thought of an iced coffee and and iced towel at the end of a very hot and tiring excursion made those last few steps up from the jetty worthwhile; gentlemen it is very possible that you may just have saved a couple of lives!

Once again I was served by Samah and Elia in the 1902 restaurant and I could not have asked for a more refined yet relaxed atmosphere in their domain should I have been royalty. To both (and chef) many thanks for excellent food and exquisite service.

All of the guest relations staff are friendly, efficient and happy to assist, but I must particularly praise the wonderful Peter who I now feel is a personal friend. His pride in his work and the care he took to ensure a great experience for my little troop of ladies was amazing.

All in all this is a first class hotel with a wonderful caring staff and a "can do" attitude that puts many others to shame. There may be many still staying away from Egypt but I say "more fools
you" as you are missing a fabulous country and specifically an unmatchable experience at the Old Cataract.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank HelenEdwards
OldCataractManagemnt, General Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this nice and special review; it was a pleasure welcoming you back to Sofitel Legend Old Cataract.
I am happy to see you that all our team succeeds to make your visit well organized and make you feel special, I have communicated your review with the management team with special mention to the mentioned team members.
We will all be waiting to welcome you back once more to your home away from home.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our stay at the Cataract has been made so very pleasant by the excellent staff! I would like to name them all and will do that separately to the managers. We are nearly the only people staying at the Cataract--practically the only foreigners in Aswan, in fact. From the front desk managers to the cleaning staff, everyone at the Cataract has made us feel welcome in this historic and beautiful place. Breakfast on the patio overlooking the Nile is superb. Lunch and dinner are also exceptional. Rooms are cool, well-lighted and clean and overflowing with the latest in technology, including Bose cd players. Right now it is Ramadan and the hottest part of the year, yet this has been an amazing visit for all six of us. Thank you to the Cataract for that!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are far more reasonably priced than those overlooking the Nile, which are al...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hanusa2

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for this nice review,
I have shared your great review with the hotel team
I am happy to see that you felt welcome and have enjoyed food, rooms, cleanliness and the latest technology that we have.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel delivers nothing less than a service of excellence with a flair and style that is unique and different and I leave with a sense of loss that my stay was so so short. Not to worry Aswan has won me over thanks to the kindness and hospitality I encountered from every staff member that came my way.

I stayed in the Palace part of the hotel. Sadly there are few quests. The service is old world,professional engaging,polite and gives the feeling that you matter. From the moment I set foot inside the door I knew instinctively that this was a great choice no misgivings and trust me it did not disappoint.

I booked a corniche suite. Magnificent. Amazing views of the nile. Standing on the balcony took my breath away. I had breakfast the first day at 12 noon. Outstanding service and I mean outstanding. Mr Mohammad showed me and explained to me various aspects of the property including the legendary 1902 restaurant which blew me away. dining there later in the evening was a pleasure and brought back in vivid reality the movie death on the Nile.

The spa is top top quality. Mr Ali probably one of the best masseurs ever encountered. An excellent treatment and the facility on par with hotels like the Banyan tree and Peninsula in Bangkok . Amazing indoor pool. If starting or finishing a cruise on the Nile there could not be a better place to stay. It is not inexpensive but is worth every penny. Thank you for the welcome and good feeling. A place God willing I hope to return to in the not to distant future. Aswan is one of the most relaxed and chilled out places I have been to in a long long time. Egypt is very safe and a most beautiful country. This hotel is a credit to the Accor group and the Sofitel Brand.

Room Tip: If history architecture is something that interests you stay in the old cataract wing
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank paul026
OldCataractManagemnt, General Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this great review and for the description you gave of our hotel and the service you have received, I am happy to see that you liked Aswan because this city has a special nature that is why Agatha Christie wrote her novel here. We are pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed, the room, the food, the service and the SPA which is one of the most reputed spa of the middle east, ended with the 1902 which is one of the best fine restaurants in Egypt.

We are waiting for you to come back and live again what you have described.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time spent here to celebrate my 40th birthday
Highly recommend this hotel - friendly, hard working staff who are keen to ensure guests are provided with a exquisite level of customer service. Beautiful well kept surroundings and fabulous main restaurant

Perfect time from checkin to checkout
Karen & Lee

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kazandlee

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this nice review; it was a pleasure to allow us to celebrate your 40th birthday.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Have never stayed at a hotel that combined such fantastic service and decor with such a stunning location on a bend of the Nile. Sitting on the shady terrace or our room's private balcony, every way we looked was beautifully landscaped hotel gardens dropping down to the river, small boats plying the waterway, a green riverbank opposite and desert rising beyond. The hotel decor is a perfect mixture of Islamic designs and the best of old colonial style. I live in Cairo, and the Old Cataract is really Egypt at its best.

Room Tip: If you like rooms with lots of light and a mixture of contemporary and Islamic style, go for the mod...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel L
OldCataractManagemnt, General Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this nice review. It was a pleasure welcoming you to Sofitel Legend Old Cataract. We’re waiting for you to enjoy and relax again in our property away from the noise of the capital city.

Jules-Henri EDOUARD