“Do not miss this!”

and up
Aswan Tombs of the Nobles Private Half-Day Tour
Ranked #17 of 36 things to do in Aswan
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Do some research before you visit these tombs of the nobles on the west bank.You will gain so much more from your visit, Just be aware that its hard going up the sand covered steps to the tombs.

3  Thank Rowz

Reviewed 14 February 2014

To coin a phrase and mis-quote a film title - Not sure that 89 is the correct number but it must be close.
This was again organised by the Old Cataract Guest Services as part of my trip to St Simeons, but, rather than take the camel trip down from the monastery, we drove back into Aswan and I got a motor-boat to take me across and back. Cost was 80LE
I was left to control the boat whilst the very house-proud boat owner cleaned his paintwork, including my foot prints on the seating area (You have to walk on them to get on the boat). It took me about 5 minutes of to-ing & fro-in before I got the beast under my control in the cross-winds and about 10 mins of sailing.
You have to climb a l-o-t of worn, sand-filled steps to get from the ticket office area to the tombs. I only looked at three tombs out of the 6(?) and the church area, but I’d had enough of the un-seasonal heat by then. I am not sure if all are open .Get a good guide book and do your research before you visit.
Once finished, I could have taken the camel ride to the monastery, but I left that to those more adventurous than me – I’ve been on enough spitting camels in my time.
The boat dropped me off at the Cataract's own jetty where an ice cold G&T was beckoning from the hotel bAR

5  Thank eLaReF
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Ticketted as the Aswan Princes Tombs, the rock cut openings can be seen in the face of the West bank .
Take a felucca or motor boat across and trek right to the ticket office. The climb to the tombs is up sandy and worn steps, so wear good footwear and take water and a hat. The tomb carvings and paintings are crisp and clear. They are good examples of early artwork and you can take pics here (don't use flash) unlike Saqqara or Luxor West Bank.

The dome of the wind at the top is another climb, but the views are terrific.

2  Thank Bushwalker_13
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Do not miss what you can easily afford. It was so surprising to see such beautiful work only to few steps of Kitchener’s island … During the summer the best way is to visit the site in the morning, around 1 May it was very hot. Be sure to have enough water and be prepared for one little effort to climb the stairs. Try to see all the tombs. You need 3 hours but if you can, try to go up, to the top of the hill, the surroundings must be unique from this point, I realized too late … In our opinion, this area is among the first three attractions of Aswan as historical value, aesthetics, landscape and unusual place.

3  Thank anagh
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The Tombs of the Nobles, also called Princes´s Tombs, lies on the west bank of Nile in Aswan. They are hewn in the stone side of the hill Qubbet el-Hawa (translated as The dome of the wind as we been told), to reach there you need to hire a boat in Aswan city and cross the Nile river. A long stairway of appr. 80-90 steps leads up to tombs level from the ticket office by the river bank. Tombs are well-preserved and beautifully decorated. From 6th Dynasty of the Old Kingdom there are Tomb of Pepynakht, Overseer of foreign lands, Tombs of Governors Mekhu and Sabni and Tomb of General Harkhuf. From 12th Dynasty of the Middle Kingdom there are Tomb of Sarenput I, the Governor of Elephantine, and Sarenput II, his grandson. There is also a Tomb of Khunes. There were the separate stairways leading to the tombs from the riverbank and views from there towards the Nile, modern city and Kitchener´s Island are really spectacular. Ask in the ticket office to be sure you will be alloud to see all the tombs at once on the same ticket.

5  Thank Superkatt