“Dodgy, Shoddy, Inhospitable”

Ranked #9 of 37 Speciality Lodging in Luxor
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Dodgy, Shoddy, Inhospitable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

It's cheap, so I wasn't too put off by the weak AC and the fridge that didn't cool, though if you provide those I feel they should work. I was a little put off when the shower did not drain and thus I had less than two minutes before the shallow floor basin filled, but this too can be fixed. Their associate who brought me there, a tout but one with whom they are very comfortable, lied about many things, which is not terribly surprising, but the management deferred any responsibility. Instead, that morning, when I looked less than pleased they said I stayed in a 3 star hotel in Aswan, which they used to explain away my standards of working plumbing.

But what put me off to the point that I moved was the way they received a friend. He and I shared a tour my first morning in town and he was eager to change hotels, as someone at his hotel stole 200 Euros from his room (to be clear - the theft was not at New Everest). When he shared this story the ever-present tout reported that others had been robbed at the same hotel, but the manager of New Everest immediately became cold and expressed doubt that my friend had been robbed. Instead of greeting him as an opportunity to have a second guest, for I was the only one, he treated my friend as a risk and made it clear he was not welcome at New Everest. I left immediately. If that is how the treat a traveler who has been wronged, then it is only a matter of time before the other shoe drops on me.

Just down the road we were welcomed into Bob Marley for the same price with friendly and hospitable staff in superior facilities – but I'll save that for my post on them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

The New Everest is a great budget hotel right in the centre of Luxor, within a minute's walk from the train station. The staff here is excellent: we were picked up from the station at a very unsocial hour, given great recommendations for tours and what to see (Aladin's tour of the West Bank was excellent and great value for money!), and the breakfast was brilliant. The building isn't in great shape, but this is more than made up for by the helpfulness of the staff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Location of the hotel is very good, close to the city center and Karnak, few steps from train station, close to the market. Staff was very efficient and friendly. Room was somewhat small, and without windows, but very clean according to egyptian standards. No bedbugs or other bugs. It's very vise choice if you look for cheap accomodation in Luxor, I'd stay there once again without any doubt.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DashPL
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Stayed here for three nights. By budget Egypt standards it was OK, nothing particularly nice or grim about the place. Staff were OK once they gave up on the hassling trying to sell tours. Most remarkable thing was that I saw a weasel in the ally outside the front door.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

this place gives u the best value for money. very nice people. very interactive, cheap internet free tv and nice breakfast, clean rooms and v v friendly staff or shud i say friends! i wud recomend it to anyone travelling on a tight budget. dont look anywhere else. head straight for this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

I am a single parent (mom) traveller. I spent a month backpacking around the Middle East with my 9 year old daughter. We just got back a week and a half ago.

For our time in Luxor, which was short, we stayed at this hostel. the owner, gaber, corresponded with us before we arrived, and arranged an inexpensive taxi to pick us up at the airport. As it turns out, he came with the taxi, helped with bags, and was so accomodating in helping us feel welcome. He pointed places out along the way, and made sure we knew where the key places were for when we settled in.

Upon arrival, he sent his younger brother out to get us a complimentary cold drink, and showed us to our room. We booked a private double with A/C. Sooo glad we had the A/C in the intense summer temperatures. The beds were fine, and there was lots of room to store our stuff.

Gaber was very helpful in helping me arrange the early morning hot Air Balloon trip and a day trip to the valley of the Kings & Queens, etc. since we only had 48 hours to pack aa lot of stuff in. He also arranged a sunset felucca for the first night for us, and helped us get to Karnak by horse after we arrived...all of the arrangements and prices were very reasonable compared to what i had found ahead of time and read on previous reports.

There was a nice breakfast available each morning..eggs cooked to order, bread, cheese, coffee/tea, etc. Wake up calls (actually a knock on the door) were available for our super early start on the second day for our balloon ride (we had to leave the hostel at 4 a.m.).

Anything we asked about, the staff were available to answer. Really great hostel, and I felt absolutely safe being there with my young daughter.

I know we will visit again to see the rest of Luxor that we missed!!

FYI - there is free WIFI available in the common area, and also a computer if you don't have your own wifi device.

Lastly, there is a really great rooftop to chillax on, albeit, too hot during the day, and better at night!!

Thanks to you Gaber for making our time in Luxor so great!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Guildford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

It is nothing particularly special, the rooms are average but it is in a very good location 2 minutes next to the Luxor train station, as well as a 10 minute walk to the Luxor temple. The staff were very friendly and were very helpful. The most exceptional thing is its price, it is so cheap that if you are just looking for a place to crash without any extras then stay at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends