“Very good 3* hotel”
Review of Susanna Hotel

Susanna Hotel
Ranked #44 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night and some of us were a bit worried as it was "only 3*" and because it was in Egypt and we had no experience if their ratings would match our expectations of 3*.. anyway.. it all turned out well and it was pretty much exactly what a 3* should be. The room I stayed in was neat, had an ensuite and the window showed the nile and Luxor Temple. Breakfast was served upstairs and there is a nice balcony area there, with great views. Staff was really friendly and the owner told us she wishes we tell our friends to go there, as we enjoyed our stay. Definitely worthwhile, if wanting 3* style. And it's so close to many attractions etc. that you can just walk or pick up a horse ride or a taxi.. funny thing those taxies - they don't close the door if it's a van. ;)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 June 2011

This hotel was such good value we got a room each for 3 nights. Had Nile side rooms which provided great views of the Nile and Luxor temple, which was spectacular at night. Street noise was a small problem but settled down by midnight. Rooms were comfortable and staff very helpful. Breakfast was OK and also with an excellent view, but I would not recommend the restaurant for dinner. Internet was available in the lobby for a small fee.

Room Tip: Get a room with a Nile view and try to enjoy the .
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I had a bad experience at mystay. According to Hotels.com free internet was supposed to be in the rooms (but there was no internet - you could buy some time at the frontdesk, but still you had to stay in the lobby to go on the Internet) and further on Susanna Hotel had put almost 30% on top of the bill (that was apparently taxes). I was travelling as a backpacker, and if I had known that the price of the stay would be much more than it said on Hotels.com and still not including free internet, I would have chosen another hotel. As I went to the frontdesk to talk about these to things the staff (mostly the manager) treated me unpleasently by talking condescendingly to me. I didn't like that and felt uncomfortable, and it was a shame, because I actually liked the hotel (except from the very thin walls), because the room was simpel and clean and that is all you need as a backpacker.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jakob-and-Anne
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour package with GAP Adventures. This hotel met our basic accommodation needs. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff were pleasant. The only negative comment is that there was quite a bit of street noise that went on until late at night but we were so exhausted from our trip we were able to sleep through it. If we were to book a hotel independently, we would book it at least a grade up from this one.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Comfortable hotel in good location with good/free wifi service and decent free breakfest. The only drawback is that for the 3 or so interactions I had with the front desk, they were not particularly pleasant. One such interaction was when I complained about the bike I rented, which was of poor quality (and triple the rate from any vendor in Luxor). The front desk stared at me blankly - i.e. too bad. So, avoid interaction (don't rent a bike from them) and go to your room - you will like it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We moved to the Susanna Hotel for two nights in November 2010 after finding our first choice unacceptable. The rooms there were pleasant, spacious, and clean. The view from the 5th floor dining room toward the Luxor Temple and the Nile was spectacular, but breakfast that brought me up there was entirely missable.

This was a pleasant hotel, but some services were spotty. We had to negotiate to get wi-fi supplied cost-free, and then the service failed more often than it functioned. When it was working, the service was as slow as a dial-up connection, even if no one else was using the bandwidth.

The front desk made arrangements for our trip to the Valley of the Kings, which was rendered more complicated because Egypt's First Lady came to Luxor for a visit, and roads were closed to make way for her motorcade. The tour guides made rapid adjustments, and our plans were only delayed for a few minutes.

I would recommend this hotel, with only a few reservations.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Our room was supposed to have 2 beds. There was a weird 'third' bed in between our two beds which was actually a lounge chair cushion? Weird if you ask me. The AC was so strong and there was no way to lower it so I froze all night. Otherwise, the room was clean, the bathroom was typical, but a little outdated (cracks and such). For a few nights, this is a great location and easy to get around. The views are pretty nice. There was no internet. The hotel claimed all of Luxor didn't have internet?

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends