“Not impressed”

Bob Marley House Hostel
Ranked #4 of 41 Speciality Lodging in Luxor
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I walked into what seemed like a magnific hostel... I discovered I was wrong..well my partner and I were wrong. Run by an elderly couple there was no Marley atmosphere at all. The establishment is very old and worn out. There was not hot water & when we asked we were told others of the floor must have used it. Yet we were assured this was a private bathroom! Then when my partner said that he was told forcefully that the staff can't watch who goes to which bathroom.
The stench of smokes was throughout the hotel.when I mentioned that I want to get gifts for the family..the owner gladly volunteered to take me ( I thought this strange -) when I checked the prices I discovered I was well overcharged

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank jumyp

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Best service I have ever received in my life is at Bob Marley House hostel. In a land where almost everything works by baksheesh, it is really heart-warming to find a place where people help you with genuine sincerity. I want to thank the team at Bob Marley House Hostel (Maria, Sayed, Mahmoud, Hossam, Zeynep and Tareq) for making the city of Luxor so beautiful because of your presence here. Kudos to the team, for there is absolutely no fragmentation among any of the staff. When once receptionist hands over the duties to the next, information about what is going on is passed down, which is crucial to providing the best service to the guests. Thank you all, for being such a happy bunch of people, always laughing and smiling. Never once did I not see a genuine smile on the faces of those who served me at Bob Marley House. Thanks Hossam for walking me to the train station and back, hearing my stories and sharing my feelings of loneliness. Rooms are incredibly cheap and extremely clean. Wifi signal goes all the way to my room and hot shower is easy to use (I did not have to keep turning and adjusting to find the right temp). Location is really good because it is adjacent to a road and I was not disturbed by the sound of traffic and people. All in all, I really marvel how I can get such at good service at a really good price. If you're looking for a place that feels like home in Luxor, look no further than Bob Marley House Hostel.

PS there is another Bob Marley in town called Bob Marley Peace & Boomerang Hotel. Don't go there. They recently included "Bob Marley" to their name to attract more visitors.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gayturd
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The owners are really nice, first we booked just 2 nights and Sayed picked us from the train station for free, he waited us more then 1 hour because the train was late and when we arrived to the hotel the staff tarek, mahmoud, houssam was really nice and welcoming and they made sure that we have everything we need and 3am Sayed explained for us everything in the city and he helped us even if we wanted to go somewhere by ourselves.
Maria,his wife,is the kindest person I ever met, she knows every monument in loxur and she explained every single detail about the tombs and the temples all over the city.. the tour guide, aladin, is also kind and will answer any question about the pharonic history.. the other guests are also backpackers and you will make a lot of friends and share stories about the countries they visited and about their own culture. We met brasilien, Taiwanese, american, russian and egyptian guests and we enjoyed our trips with them. It was the best 5 day vacation we ever have!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I'm leaving in an hour and still need to pack but I feel like writing this review for Bob Marley Sherif hotel is more important at this time. :) What can I say besides I feel at home here. The staff is friendly and the owner Sai-id( I can't spell) is super awesome. The staff and owner made me feel at home and comfortable at all times. Sai-id also told me that it was my home so do what ever made me happy. So....I painted quotes on the roof top upstairs. We were suppose to be on Luxor for only 2 days but stayed 4! If you're looking for a home like feel stay here. P.s. There is two Bob Marley hotels in hostel world. Remember to pick Sherif Bob Marley on Badr street. :-) Peace, love and respect!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank SDJen
Reviewed 6 January 2014

owners called me when I was still in the train from Aswan and offered to pick me up at the station for free, which was a really nice start! Rooms are nice and clean and everything is working! owners and staff members are very nice and can help you for everything and can make ur trip always easier to get around in loxor (really good for low budget travellers and backpackers!). As a woman travelling alone, it was really helpful! They showed me how to take microbus and get good and cheap food in the city!
I definitely recommend this place (if you don't expect a nubian palace) and advise you to have some chats with Maria, the owner, she is very interesting, funny and lovely!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Maria and Said made my first impression of Luxor! Very welcoming and hospitable.
They helped a lot in organizing the tours.
The hotel itself is clean, well located and artistically decorated. The terrace on the rooftop is great!
It's definitely my choice when I'm next time in Luxor!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The owners Maria and Sayed are incredibly hospitable! They pick you up, orient you to your surroundings, tell you the best places to go for things you may need, and set you up with any requests you might have without hesitation. The atmosphere is quite amicable and Maria and the girls in the kitchen prepared nice (free) food for a merry X-mas Eve for the guests and staff.
They pull no punches telling you what to watch out for and what the better deals are or even arrange tours themselves to "secret" places, e.g. Valley of the Nobles or cheap balloon or biketrips. . Enjoy and relax (possibly with a cold beer) during the cooler, but still warm, night on the rooftop overlooking the West Bank hillside in the distance. Can't sing their praises enough. Even the included breakfat is the best I´ve had in Egypt. Thank you, I´ll return!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo