“Difficult to determine”

Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The New Bombay Restaurant : the authentic food from India !
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I say this restaurant is difficult to determine as it has the same lack of tourists that the other places in town are suffering.
The New Bombay has a menu outside so one can get an idea what is on offer before going in. On entering it doesn't look inviting as you need to walk along a bare passageway to get to the stairs.
The Restaurant is on the first floor.
The first thing to notice during this sparse tourist period is that none of the tables are made up. A thing which in normal times would have me walking back out, but circumstances being what they are here its understandable.
The décor is pleasant and very indian restaurant circa 1970s at home.
The waiter, who I discovered was the chef, cleaner and anything else he needed to be, was very friendly and welcoming, a plus straight away.

Ok food and drink..... Sakara Gold was on the menu but not available, so I selected a Stella.

The menu on paper is quite extensive with all the standard dishes one would expect in the UK. Unfortunately this is where it ends as far as the dish I wanted was concerned. I had decided to try the Prawn Dansak which is a favourite of mine. There were no prawns available in spite of many dishes on the menu involving them. There was also no Lamb available so I was offered either chicken dansak or fish. I plumped for the fish dansak. I did have a starter of vegetable samosas which came out looking like those little chinese dumplins wrapped in pastry and twisted together at the top. As a point of interest samosa wraps can be bought at most grocery stores here, I have used them myself.. However I was happy with the taste of the vegetable
filling and more than happy with the dip that was served with them, it was spicy and flavoursome. The starter came in 11 minutes. Main course of fish dansak was acceptable, although the lentils were a tad underdone and probably needed another 3 or 4 minutes. Overall apart from that the main was good enough, but could have had a little more heat. The main arrived about 5 minutes after I had finished my starter.There wasn't anything interesting on the desert menu so I left it at that. WCs on the way out were clean and had the usual soap available, and a hand drying machine. There are good points to this restaurant and some not so goods. The waiter come chef come everything else is very good and after my meal he came and chatted, with a surprising amount of knowledge about Indian food and also Indians in general. The menu is a paper exercise only so be prepared to make a change of direction when ordering. The food is fairly good and very reasonably priced. I might go back in a few weeks armed with the knowledge that I have to specify that I like heat in my food.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

We went to New Bombay for Lunch. We were 8 Adults and 1 Kid.

We checked with the server (who was very nice) to see if they can serve a big group. He said they are all prepared and ready, so we called the rest of our group and got a table.

Appetizers took about 30 Mins (3 orders of the same thing). One Appetizer made it in an Hour. The food came out in parts, if there was curry, there was no Naan, if there was naan, there was no curry. When we repeated a order, we were served half-cooked lentils, VERY DISAPPOINTING.

There was only one Cook cooking for all. The server was the server, the cashier, the bar tender, errand boy, etc.

It was the most frustrating 3 hours long lunch that we did not enjoy at all. Avoid at ANY cost.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We visited this restaurant after seeing it recommended in a well known guide book (don't want to go given them a free plug!). It was also in close proximity to the hotel so we thought we'd give it a go.

The restaurant is on the first floor and the entrance along the ground floor corridor is rather uninviting, but when you get up to the first floor the setting is authentic and comfortable. I don't know if it was the type of food we ordered but we found it to be underwhelming and not particularly authentic. However, we couldn't fault the service of the young waiter who was very attentive and polite. He did make us laugh though when he said that there was one chef working that evening - an Indian (perhaps to make the place seem authentic) - and a few minutes later out popped an Egyptian from the kitchen!

Reviewed 18 January 2012

food and service excellent wide choice for meatys and veggies

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Amazingly good Indian food, better than you get in most of the UK. The current chef was trained by the previous Indian chef and it shows in their yummy assortment of dishes. It was nice to have a change of food too, Meze, kebabs and Tagine get a bit boring after a while. Well worth a visit.